Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Autism and AS
they are the same thing and can be used interchangably 21%  21%  [ 19 ]
there is a relation. AS is a milder form of autism. but they are not used interchangably, as one is more specific than the other 64%  64%  [ 58 ]
no connection. they are completley different from each other, despite what people say. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
(option that was not put on this poll) 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 91

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:45 pm

i don't know. help me out here guys

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

i've seen people on this site use it interchangably

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 3:15 am

Does this mean when people call others the aspies I can be left out? I don't like nick names.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 3:23 pm

what do you guys think?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

In my opinion they are the same thing. Of course, I understand there are varying degrees of how the traits manifest themselves in us. I refer to myself in one of three ways: Aspie, High Functioning Autistic, or Autistic.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

I was wondering if there is a way to separate the A.S advocates that do very well without supports and individuals with a form of autism who do not. I think there are two different world types at play. They just don't seem to get it. Other then that I don't like some of them in how they represent my disability in how it is for me.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm

I use them interchangeably unless I am having a conversation specifically about classic autism and aspergers. That doesn't usually happen though.....

I am moderate-severe AS, and I also use all three terms to refer to myself.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:14 pm

They are definitely NOT the same thing. Asperger's is narrower. Sometimes they can be used interchangeably. But not always.

Basically, Asperger's is a subgroup of autism. I don't think Asperger's is clearly defined as something distinct. But, still, there are people with autism who clearly do not have Asperger's. Like my 6 year old nephew.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:17 am

i like idiot savant best personaly,i dont now why people dont like that term anymore.thats why im vermont savant

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:18 am

i like idiot savant best personaly,i dont now why people dont like that term anymore.thats why im vermont savant

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 7:34 am

vermontsavant wrote:

Nothing wrong with the "savant" part, when it fits. "Idiot" on the other hand, sounds like a putdown. With or without the "idiot", it's certainly not the same as autism and/or Asperger's.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

Mysty wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Nothing wrong with the "savant" part, when it fits. "Idiot" on the other hand, sounds like a putdown. With or without the "idiot", it's certainly not the same as autism and/or Asperger's.
i think its the truth in someways im quite a genius and in other ways im quite an idiot and i have no problem with that im a idiot savant thats me.what bothers me is petty griping over labels and technical terminologys.im old school and im not offended by old fashioned disability terms.im offended by hyper literal political correctness

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

Sadly labels matter, they shape how the majority view us since the majority can't be bothered to do their research. And frankly I don't blame them, there are so many causes and diseases and oddity in the world, who has time to research EVERYTHING?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:29 pm

Asperger's is a form of autism but not all autism is Asperger's? Not sure how to vote...

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

draelynn wrote:
Asperger's is a form of autism but not all autism is Asperger's? Not sure how to vote...

is alzheimer's a form of dementia? is karate a form of martial arts? is the shark a form of fish? seriously, what do you think. :roll: (no, not all autism is asperger's)

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:47 pm

No need to get snarky about it...