Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 6:43 am

The latest story is that radiation suppression crews are now drinking ceremonial saki prior to taking off to drop water on the bone dry storage pools. Their mates on the ground are sending them off waving their goggles and respirators over their heads and yelling "Banzai!"

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:37 am

Even without a source I find that credible, though if you have a source, I would still like to read it. :)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 8:49 am

My professor says that the pool in reactor 4 should not of boiled dry according to that particular model. One of the only ways that could happen is if they were manufacturing nuclear weapons or doing something that they shouldn't be doing. It should of cooled off in a week. I mean, while the Americans say that it boiled dry, the Japanese say it hasn't.

Last edited by Jono on 17 Mar 2011, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

I just googled the terms Japan nuclear weapons Fukushima and found this blogpost:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=157820

Ok, if this is true then they weren't exactly manufacturing nuclear weapons but the plutonium used was from dismantled nuclear weapons and is way more reactive than what would normally be used. If that's the case then that's the only reason why that reactor pool would boiled dry.

Edit: found a more reliable source:

http://www.dcbureau.org/201103151304/Natural-Resources-News-Service/is-airborne-plutonium-a-threat-from-reactor-number-three.html

Press control-f and type nuclear weapons. In short, this is not a general problem with nuclear power. The problem is that they used weapons grade plutonium as fuel which is, of course, is more dangerous. It should not be done.

Last edited by Jono on 17 Mar 2011, 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 9:18 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Using plutonium from nuclear warheads from countries that reduced their stockpiles due to treaties (aka "atoms for peace") in civilian power plants is a common practice.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 4:26 pm

I've heard several reports from Japan that have called the fly over missions suicide missions. The story is plausible but I'd like to see links.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 8:31 pm

I would assume the amounts of radiation that do reach the US are minuscule, however I've also heard a report that the Swedish government has claimed it will cover the entire northern hemisphere similar to Chernobyl. I'd just hope for the best.

Reuters Report

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 8:32 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
I would assume the amounts of radiation that do reach the US are minuscule, however I've also heard a report that the Swedish government has claimed it will cover the entire northern hemisphere similar to Chernobyl. I'd just hope for the best.

Reuters Report

The Swedes are alive and well. Do not worry.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:12 pm

This will have all the tree huggers and peacenics in north America screaming to dismantle all of our nuclear power plants and prevent any new ones from being activated.
:roll:

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:15 pm

I've found a neat interactive graph that shows the levels of radiation in Japan.

Japan radiation graph

It's not too bad, but it's still of concern

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 1:32 am

Raptor wrote:
This will have all the tree huggers and peacenics in north America screaming to dismantle all of our nuclear power plants and prevent any new ones from being activated.

and what is wrong with that?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 6:01 am

ruveyn wrote:
The latest story is that radiation suppression crews are now drinking ceremonial saki prior to taking off to drop water on the bone dry storage pools. Their mates on the ground are sending them off waving their goggles and respirators over their heads and yelling "Banzai!"

ruveyn

Sounds like either an urban legand or some black humor. I know that people sometimes make the most sickminded horrible jokes when under stress or about stressful topics. Some people use black humor as an emotional safety valve. I think it may be people outside the site who feel under stress and then they make up or pass on tales about nuclear workers who imagine themselfs to be modern day samurais going into battle facing a noble death.

If think that if you were on the ground there and you were issued with a dust mask then I hope you would have the sense not to doff your mask in an uncontrolled way in a contaminated area. I am sure that the Japanese authority and utility company have tried to select responsible people who will keep focused and not treat the work as a gaint joke.

Also if you were to "arse about" with your protective clothing then a contamination of yourself could well result in you being dragged away to hospital or a medical facility for cleaning instead of being able to get on your your job.

The problem is that if you remove protective clothing in the wrong way then you contaminate yourself. I would be interested to know if aspies would be better at such work than NTs, some aspies can keep concentrated on a task and blank out their emotions.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

camphortree
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2011, 6:25 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:

Reuters Report

yes, because everybody in the northern hemisphere died after chernobyl

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 6:59 am

SaNcheNuSS wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The cold and the dark.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

ruveyn wrote:
SaNcheNuSS wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The cold and the dark.

ruveyn

Yep, that pretty much sums it up........

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Cracked or the Onion did a report on this plant a short while ago, It was about dumb things humans do. One, built on a known fault, two, on a coast that is known for tidal waves.

Three, would be use Plutonium for fuel, and Four, the plant is forty years old.

So the best planning and technology of 1970.

Japan never had warheads to dispose of, so those are ours being safely and peacefully disposed of.

There was not supposed to be any Plutonium in bombs, the stuff is cheap to make, but dirty and long lasting to use. The half life is a lot longer than our species has been around, and would forever poison the land.

So the deeper story, we paid for Uranium bombs, and got the cheap and dirty ones.

They were built for the end of the world, so who would ever know?

This is what happens when a third of all government spending is on secret defense projects. We also have a lot of weapon grade Anthrax.