Difference in autism between male and female?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm

Hi everybody,

I recently read an article about differences between male and female autists. For the first time I really feel comfertable with my diagnosis now, so I was wondering what you think.

Do you think there is a difference? What are your experiences? How is your social life?

Love,

Nathalie

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:46 pm

Since all the articles Ive read on female autism says that theres differences, I believe them. As for personal experiance where ive seen differences, not nessarily. I've known 5 male aspies and 1 female aspie in both RL and online. They've been pretty relatable on most aspects where ive seen a certain traits that I have in someone. Even some problems where I thought would be more "female" Ive seen in males, such as:

Obession with being social
Depression
Talking about my problems to people I dont know well
Anxiety problems( this 1 is the only 1 I havent seen in other aspie males, or any1 ive known)

My social life is fine mainly cause Ive worked to get up to this point. But there are still times and enviorenments where I still feel very withdrawn from people. Like I dont know how to make small talk in certain enviorenments. I come across as very normal for the most part.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:58 pm

Start by thinking of the general personality differences between males & females in general. Females aspies/auties I've known tend to be more emotional than males and have more noticeable sensory issues. Unfortunately, the autistic males I've known and still know are at least twice as tactless socially/dating wise than the females.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

I don't see why a lot of people tend to view this as suprising (not to say that the original poster does). There are differences between non autistic males and females, so it only makes sense that there would be differences between male and females on the autistic spectrum.

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

blackcat wrote:
I don't see why a lot of people tend to view this as suprising (not to say that the original poster does). There are differences between non autistic males and females, so it only makes sense that there would be differences between male and females on the autistic spectrum.

I agree, but according to some research even proffesionals often don't recognise the 'female' autism... I think that's strange... People should really loose the stereotype image of autism.

Untill I read about women adapting more to their enviroment, causing more depression etc, I could never accept my diagnosis. Perhaps because my psychiatrist didn't really understand me (maybe I run away from there too soon, but I just don't trust psychiatrists anymore)

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm

Yes, I think women do have to adapt to their environment more. It is more acceptable for people who are male to, for example, speak in what I view as the default tone of voice (monotone). I was noticing this during the Oscars when James Franco, who is not to my knowledge autistic, and Anne Hathaway were talking. Any intonation that is not monotone conveys some sort of information, either formally encoded into the language (like tones in Chinese language) or expressive of the speaker's emotional state in a language like English (e.g. "Yeah!" from an enthusiastic person vs. "yeah..." from a person who is bored or weirded-out by something). My point being: if Anne Hathaway were to talk in as much of a monotone as James Franco does - which is not even that much of one - she would be regarded as sounding "weird."

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2011, 5:20 pm

purchase wrote:
Yes, I think women do have to adapt to their environment more. It is more acceptable for people who are male to, for example, speak in what I view as the default tone of voice (monotone). I was noticing this during the Oscars when James Franco, who is not to my knowledge autistic, and Anne Hathaway were talking. Any intonation that is not monotone conveys some sort of information, either formally encoded into the language (like tones in Chinese language) or expressive of the speaker's emotional state in a language like English (e.g. "Yeah!" from an enthusiastic person vs. "yeah..." from a person who is bored or weirded-out by something). My point being: if Anne Hathaway were to talk in as much of a monotone as James Franco does - which is not even that much of one - she would be regarded as sounding "weird."

I never noticed this about the way people speak, but you may be right. I also think women are more expected to be social, and caring. This wil probably also be biological, because women will raise children etc.
But then the consequenses are that women who adapt themselfs and mask their autism, have to work harder for it then men.
But maybe they can achieve more in life because they adapt? I read a lot of autistic women work in daycare or other social professions.
And ironically women will have less chance of getting any understanding from their enviroment because they seem (more) normal...

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 9:29 pm

Yeah, the daycare professions thing seems right to me - little kids can't tell who's socially "off" or not so I have no fear of working with them personally! :D

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

Nathalie wrote:
I read a lot of autistic women work in daycare or other social professions.
And ironically women will have less chance of getting any understanding from their enviroment because they seem (more) normal...

Yes, and yes *sigh* I've worked in residential homes for the elderly and in daycare. Either very young or very old, it's all the ages in between I can't cope with. And if you're seen to be working in a caring job, the ignorants assume you can't possibly be autistic........an autistic who has empathy and wants to look after others!? Unthinkable! :roll:

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2011, 3:02 am

FaeryEthereal wrote:
Nathalie wrote:
I read a lot of autistic women work in daycare or other social professions.

Yes, and yes *sigh* I've worked in residential homes for the elderly and in daycare. Either very young or very old, it's all the ages in between I can't cope with. And if you're seen to be working in a caring job, the ignorants assume you can't possibly be autistic........an autistic who has empathy and wants to look after others!? Unthinkable! :roll:

So true! I'm going to be a teacher... I feel like I can have empathy and I do really love teaching and helping others. I really care about people, but it's not always easy. And even my psychiatrist once told me that I can't empathize with others. (so I ran away from that place and never came back to therapy ;) ) But that's so NOT true, I just have to work a bit harder.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 12:31 am

So the steriotype of females in general is that were more caring and empathetic? So thats true for autistic females too? Cause that certainly is not the case for me. Even when someone is more obviously in pain to the point were an aspie can easily recognize it, that caring, empathy really doesnt kick in.

Examples:
1) My roommate fell of the bed in the middle of the night, it woke me up, I didnt see it all I heard was a crash and she sounded like she was hurt, I was confused, I asked her if she was ok and thats it. And she said yes, I went back to sleep. An caring person would have instinctively got up, and came to her aid.

2) My friend hit his head, he was on his bed in pain, I just asked what happen, he said he hit his head, and I was just like, "ohh", and continued what I was doing. A caring person would have instictively made sure he was ok.

It only came to me later that I was dumb,uncaring and insensative of me and that I should have came to there aid.

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2011, 2:56 am

Are you also having trouble emathizing with someone during a conversation? When someone tells you about his/her worries for example?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:43 am

Nathalie wrote:
Are you also having trouble emathizing with someone during a conversation? When someone tells you about his/her worries for example?

Well that doesnt happen that often cause I dont come across as a person where someone will tell their worries to. If Ive been thru something similar no...if Ive never been thru it then yes. When I do try to empathsize, I will typically relate it loosely to myself which is kinda selfish admitedly thru whatever way I interpret it, sometimes I wont intepret it correctly. I will typically give them advice on what to do to the best of my abilities. As for feeling what they feel, not at all...I naturally keep my emotions very removed from there situation.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:43 pm

purchase wrote:
Yeah, the daycare professions thing seems right to me - little kids can't tell who's socially "off" or not so I have no fear of working with them personally! :D

I’ve worked in daycare too! I love preschool age children!...possibly I relate to them…………..

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:48 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
So the steriotype of females in general is that were more caring and empathetic? So thats true for autistic females too? Cause that certainly is not the case for me. Even when someone is more obviously in pain to the point were an aspie can easily recognize it, that caring, empathy really doesnt kick in.

Examples:
1) My roommate fell of the bed in the middle of the night, it woke me up, I didnt see it all I heard was a crash and she sounded like she was hurt, I was confused, I asked her if she was ok and thats it. And she said yes, I went back to sleep. An caring person would have instinctively got up, and came to her aid.

2) My friend hit his head, he was on his bed in pain, I just asked what happen, he said he hit his head, and I was just like, "ohh", and continued what I was doing. A caring person would have instictively made sure he was ok.

It only came to me later that I was dumb,uncaring and insensative of me and that I should have came to there aid.

I also don't instinctively say "are you okay" when I'm talking to a friend or somebody and they get hurt.......however I do have a lot of empathy for people in other ways………

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

28 Mar 2011, 8:00 am

I'm very much the stereotypical emotionally-immature female Aspie-
if y'all have checked out the list of female-specific traits (I think it was stickied...no clue)
all but three apply to me.

I read somewhere that a very common characteristic for Autistic girls is an intense love and empathy for animals,
and that definitely describes me.

I'm a bleeding-heart animal lover.