Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 11:47 am

what do you think of global warming?

Last edited by imbatshitcrazy on 20 Mar 2011, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
what do you think of global warming?

Surely a fact. Is it primarily caused by human activity? Maybe, but it remains to be shown.

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

There seems to be overwhelming data supporting the view of climate change. Greater understanding of past climate systems is also helping us to see the particular unique aspects to the Anthropogenic climate effect, but there has only been a few decades of solid research. Additionally past ~800,000 y.a. there are no ice core samples due to the fact that the ice only goes so deep in general
Soil is a somewhat useful indicator but a lot of the carbon properties of different layers change over time due to the soil being much more porous then ice with little bubbles of trapped atmosphere
I live in Canada and we are seeing a lot of warming trends across the country

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 3:22 pm

Global Warming is a fact, although I am not sure about anthropogenic Global Warming. I'd like to see some more evidence.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

Vigilans wrote:
There seems to be overwhelming data supporting the view of climate change. Greater understanding of past climate systems is also helping us to see the particular unique aspects to the Anthropogenic climate effect, but there has only been a few decades of solid research. Additionally past ~800,000 y.a. there are no ice core samples due to the fact that the ice only goes so deep in general
Soil is a somewhat useful indicator but a lot of the carbon properties of different layers change over time due to the soil being much more porous then ice with little bubbles of trapped atmosphere

the climate of this planet has been changing continually for the last four billion years, or so.

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 3:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

the climate of this planet has been changing continually for the last four billion years, or so.

ruveyn

Of course. At some point there were different concentrations of gases in the atmosphere, including higher and lower levels of oxygen, and CO2. What seems to be indicated throughout the geological record is that increasing CO2 from various sources, even marginally, actually has serious consequences. The question is, did our CO2 heavy industry (and other important GHGs) cause this or was it inevitable. And if so, does it really matter, as in my opinion we are working towards cleaner technology whether there is anthropogenic climate change or not. Even discounting global trends, it is clear that there are urban heat islands, and micro-climate systems caused merely by the existence of cities. In all cases the particulate levels as well as concentrations of gases is unhealthy and presents itself as a conspicuous brown cloud. Sometimes, it is even visible from space.
If anything is a concern, that certainly is
For example:

If you can imagine there being NASA satellite observation satellites from 1750 onwards, I am sure one would have seen such clouds forming and been able to link their creation with industry
Much of this kind of industry is not prevalent in the post-industrial West but we can sort of see what impact we had in the past if we study the currently industrializing nations impact