im pissed that people think autism is a violent disorder

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 8:12 am

im pissed that everybody in virginia still thinks that all autistic people are violent 3 years after the virginia tech shooting. people still talk about autistics with fear because of the fear that articles in the washington post created. i know that i will always have to hide my true self because of the way the media represents me.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

24 Mar 2011, 8:26 am

aspie48 wrote:
im pissed that everybody in virginia still thinks that all autistic people are violent 3 years after the virginia tech shooting. people still talk about autistics with fear because of the fear that articles in the washington post created. i know that i will always have to hide my true self because of the way the media represents me.

Autism is no less a laughable scapegoat for his actions than would be blaming Marilyn Manson's lyrics for Columbine-
more, actually, since the Virginia Tech shooter was NEVER DIAGNOSED AUTISTIC AT ALL.
Society is always looking for someone to point fingers at, except when that path leads back to THEM.

:x

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

Well, obviously autism is a spectrum disorder and unfortunately, for some people autism is a violent disorder or can be at times. I'm thinking about those meltdowns most of us on the spectrum have had at some point.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

dt18 wrote:
Well, obviously autism is a spectrum disorder and unfortunately, for some people autism is a violent disorder or can be at times. I'm thinking about those meltdowns most of us on the spectrum have had at some point.

when i'm having a meltdown i'm more likely to hurt myself... unless there's someone messing with me who needs to f**k off, in which case i might kick them (case in point: someone had long overstayed its welcome at my girlfriend's house, it was supposed to catch the greyhound bus that night but didn't and acted like the only person affected by that was itself, i had a meltdown and ran into my girlfriend's room and put my back against the door, it FORCED ITSELF INTO THE ROOM when i was yelling at it to f**k OFF and trying with all my strength to keep the door CLOSED because the only person who could have helped at that time was my girlfriend, and the stupid person forcing itself into the room prevented my girlfriend from coming in)

ci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 12:52 pm

I don't really do violence. Violence tends to come to me and then hard to know how to react either I get beat up not doing anything or find ways not to hurt the person that is attacking me putting myself in danger. As an adult it differs then when a child least for me because but I liked the WWF then. A rage one looses the ability to think clearly yet sustains the ability to reduce felt harm. I just disdain violence in behavior but society, the human condition and all is a violent world and fantasy all over in media, T.V, movies, games and so on. I do not see many people with autisms that are violent, some get pissed off yes but to instinct violent action for so not really.

I have to take Crisis Prevention Intervention training and be certified soon.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

There was another article recently called "the dark side of autism" or something like that, about a kid in Stafford that assaulted a police officer and they convicted him and sent him to jail. I think he was really young, I think a minor. It was a sad story. He is a black boy, and he went to the library but it was closed so he sat down on the lawn in front. He had a hoodie on, and the children from the school across the street called the police because they saw him and they thought he had a gun (which was never seen per the interviews afterward). The kid wouldn't respond to the police officer so they man handled him and he freaked out. Now he's in jail.

There are so many things wrong with this incident. This also was in the washington post.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

Yes. No response from suspects is consider a bad thing by officers it would go up against other training they have. I never got into the psychology of criminology that far. Perhaps I should though.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

That also makes me angry as well. I'm a very gentle person and I don't have a mean bone in my body. I've also never had a violent meltdown.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That also makes me angry as well. I'm a very gentle person and I don't have a mean bone in my body. I've also never had a violent meltdown.

I know people with ASD that are obviously severally effected and who never get pissed off.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:52 pm

whatteally pisses me off about dark side of autism article is that the paper never mentions a bright side to it someone on this site should write a good response letter to the post about their representation issues.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

A couple interesting links that I think law enforcement needs to see, not to mention everyone else...

http://www.scn.org/people/autistics/process.html

http://www.autismriskmanagement.com/documents/Law_Enforcement.pdf

If people, especially law enforcement, learn to recognise a situation and de-escalate it, there would be alot less of these 'violent' events.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

What disturbs me about this article, in addition to the autsim piece is this kid was doing NOTHING! How can you call the police about a person with a gun when you never see one? This person should have never been approached in the first place. Talk about steriotyping.

The whole thing was wrong on so many levels.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

I'd think the public has a right to safety. Yet it was others who said the person had a gun when they did not. These are supposed witnesses and had the police not checked and a gun really existed and it shot at someone then others would be crying foul. There is a mutual psychosocial divide between those stereotyped and those seeking protectionism and another psychosocial divide between government and the public but the one of government (police) seems to be how to do his or her job but not get killed or found negligent for not performing duties. Stereotypes in the psyche can be mechanisms of protectionism in the instinct.

If you say all people that have autism do not conduct crime you would be false.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

Gun control groups and the politicians they finance have been the biggest problem lately, spreading lies and panic almost on a daily basis for the last 2 months. :evil:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 1:21 am

i have never heard that the v tech shooter was autistic.formaly or self diagnosed i have never heard.there was a aspie murderer in boston a couple years back but i have never heard the verginia tech shooter had a asd.this forum diagnoses everyone with autism.there is one guy who tells stories about celebrities hiting autistics with cars.total non sense

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

aspie48 wrote:

I read somewhere that anger is the one emotion which we--aspies and neurotypicals alike--tend to repress (or suffocate, to speak metaphorically).
Our culture tends to portray it as somehow un-Christian, even when anger could alert us to a wrong that needs to be made right. The next question is
how do we use anger like that to help us resist this faulty judgment.