Mistaking Thirst for Hunger (and vice versa)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you guys do this? (Mistaking Thirst for Hunger (and vice versa))
Yes 59%  59%  [ 17 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

Do you guys do this?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 3:40 pm

yes, this happens with every single person in the whole world, this is not tied to AS/AU.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 3:53 pm

I don't think I've ever had that happen to me. I can tell hunger from thirst perfectly well.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

I aslo mistake thirst for "wanting a cigarette" a lot. UTI are my friends.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

Yup. Also mistaking hunger for nausea, and vice versa.

Often times I just eat a whole bunch when I'm so hungry I can't ignore it anymore. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've eaten for about... mmm... twenty hours now? Not since yesterday anyhow, and it's like 8 p.m. now... yeah, I need to go eat...

See, this is why I'm fat; my metabolism doesn't know where to jump.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 7:50 pm

Callista wrote:

Often times I just eat a whole bunch when I'm so hungry I can't ignore it anymore. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've eaten for about... mmm... twenty hours now? Not since yesterday anyhow, and it's like 8 p.m. now... yeah, I need to go eat...

I thought it was the reason I was so skinny :P
I've been so hungry I'd almost throw up as a teen, so your nausea thing could be starvation (or is it only a symptom of hunger for aspies? we can't be that different can we...)

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

Callista wrote:
Yup. Also mistaking hunger for nausea.

I am guilty of this also.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

computerlove wrote:
yes, this happens with every single person in the whole world, this is not tied to AS/AU.

This. Why do you think one of the things they recommend if you want to eat less is to drink water a bit before you sit down to eat? Our bodies aren't terribly smart when it comes to hunger and thirst, they mix their signals up a lot.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Mar 2011, 8:03 pm

ediself wrote:
Callista wrote:

I thought it was the reason I was so skinny :P
I've been so hungry I'd almost throw up as a teen, so your nausea thing could be starvation (or is it only a symptom of hunger for aspies? we can't be that different can we...)

Oh boy. When I was a teen, I'd go without food for so long that alongside the nausea came extremely painful headaches. Many people still tell me I need to eat more, that I'm too skinny. Nausea and headaches are the body's way of telling you you have low blood sugar (assuming you haven't eaten for, like, 20 hours). The nausea isn't limited to being an aspie, either - it can happen to anyone who doesn't eat regularly (especially for those whom anorexia is an issue).

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm

Callista wrote:

Periods too. And then the times when I'm hungry, but everything tastes terrible.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 10:15 pm

Definitely. You'd think at 28 I'd know the difference by now, but I often find myself grabbing a bite and realizing after I've eaten some I was really thirsty or vise versa.

I also mistake hunger for nausea and forget to eat a lot. Before I had kids, there were times where I went 2 to 3 days without eating just because it didn't enter my mind.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 6:28 am

I have never understood, or experienced, this phenomenon. To me, the urges are very distinct. I am thirsty; I feel it in my mouth. I feel hungry; I feel it in my stomach. I don't confuse nausea with being hungry, either. They also feel very distinct to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

I'm the opposite, I can't even tell I am hungry unless I am starving. I only know when I am thirsty when my mouth is dry.

What does thirsty feel like anyway and hunger? :?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

No. I've always known the difference between hunger and thirst, even as a young child.

Quote:
What does thirsty feel like anyway and hunger?

Quite difficult to explain. When I'm hungry, my tummy feels empty, and sometimes it rumbles in a healthy sort of way. If I go too hungry, I get those acidic pains in my stomach, as though my stomach is eating itself. I hate those! And I can't explain thirst. I just feel this kind of tingling sensation in the back of my throat, and I sometimes get a dry mouth, then my brain starts ''sending me pictures'' of my favourite types of drinks, like milk, coke, or apple juice, and I then really have to drink. That's the best I can explain.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I'm the opposite, I can't even tell I am hungry unless I am starving. I only know when I am thirsty when my mouth is dry.

What does thirsty feel like anyway and hunger? :?

Ditto. :lol:

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

Never happened to me. Strangely though when I am eating I get extremely thirsty. Like I'll be fine until dinner and then I'll drink 3 large(20+oz) glasses of water during dinner. After that, I won't be thirsty again for a long time.