When would you have liked to live?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2006, 9:40 am

In other words, if you could change your year of birth, which year could you choose and why?

I would have liked to be born in the 1970s so I would witness the personal computer revolution.
My second choice is the 1950s so I could witness the 1960s.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 10:47 am

Despite the creative opportunities, I dont think I would have been happy in the sixties. My aspie mind would have analysed the whole civil rights and protest movements and I would have decided the social justice movements were a big scam.

I would have seen through the social movements that caused so called activist leaders to urge the young to transgress and use media spectacle to protest which only taught an entire generation of white youth to misinterpret and appropriate the whole essence of what constitutes social justice which in reality must be based firstly on accountability to family and community.

If I had been a young adult in the 60s I would have been an outsider and a misfit. Just like I am now.

Im glad to have been born in 1964.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 10:59 am

1989 because I would be 16.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 12:39 pm

impeachgod wrote:
In other words, if you could change your year of birth, which year could you choose and why?

Just on ten years earlier, perhaps.
My profession is just falling to pieces on me, and I'm ten years away from retiring.
I might also have done better in a slightly more formal age.

I'd still be young enough to appreciate the computer age, and been of an age to have visited the Festival of Britain.

(I could have done very nicely as a Victorian mad scientist, but that sort of major shift depends very greatly on what social class you end up in. A lot of guessing here involves whether any future knowledge can be carried back. "Buy ye not betamacks")

Last edited by Emettman on 24 Jul 2006, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 3:49 pm

I was born in ’58 so I came of age in the 70s, you know, Disco. I was a little too young for the 60s. ’48 would have been better. ’68 would have been cool too because I would have come of age with the PC. ’08 would have been good too. Sure there were two world wars and the Great Depression, but there were also the roarin’ 20s, illegal gin, legal marijuana, and George Gershwin!

- Emerson

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 5:01 pm

Back in the late 60's to late 70's. Those were the happiest times for me.

To live all that over again. I would.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 6:38 pm

I would have liked to have been born in the Mid 1940s. I would have liked to have witnessed the events that took place in London, during the later half of the 1950s, until late 1966 or Mid 1967 and enjoy everything that happened, in that wonderful City, over the span of those twelve years.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 6:40 pm

I'd also like to be stuck in 2002 London, forever. That was London's last Good Year.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 7:58 pm

Then I could have been 8 instead of 18 when Columbine occured, and the faculty would have been forced to awknowledge the savage beatings I recieved instead of ignoring them until *gasp* I hit back and got suspended (after this point, the bullying turned psychological (though the guy I attacked stopped), and again: no violence, no action)

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 8:23 pm

I'd want to live in the 1890's, around the time of the Columbian Exposition. History books make that historical period seem so nice :D.

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 10:25 pm

The late 1600's in Salem, Mass. due to my beliefs.

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 10:42 pm

The year 20XX A.D. There'd be robots and stuff.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 6:26 pm

i'd of liked to have been born in the year 2000. that way i have a chance of of making it to 2100.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 9:05 pm

I would like to have been born when I was born. I like broadband internet, microwaves, cable TV, air conditioning, garbage disposals, not getting smallpox, etc. too much to live comfortably in any other era.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 10:12 pm

Born 1959

The 60's where a real blast.

Got to watch big funerals on anyone of the 3 TV stations we got.
John Kennedy ML King, Bobby Kennedy

got life Magazine,great pictures from vietnam and the evening news was always a blast
Riots in newark & Watts broke up the evening war reports.

Black Panther Trials a few miles from my house with national guard tanks trying to prevent another city from going up in flames. It was great living 2 blocks away from a housing project,felt nice and safe :roll:

Delivering the papers at 11 plus years old was real cool,got to throw the daily body count from vietnam on everyones doorstep,it was in the hundreds most days.

The biggest trip was while all this is going on not one single adult ever talked about it,like it was just normal and no need to talk to children about it. They acted like they didn't notice and probably figured the kids didn't notice becuase they where just little kids and wouldn't notice things like that.

We had POW braclets sold by the red cross to raise money to send packages to the captured soilders at the Hanoi Hilton.

My childhood was, I'm a deadman at 18.

a computer :lol: :lol: :lol: they had one at the job I got in 1978,big thing took up a whole room,they sure didn't let the 19 year old kid near the thing. maybe for some rich kid going to a private prep school being born in the 50's and having access to computers would have been great,but the working class didn't get near them. Wasn't no such thing in public schools in the mid 70's

Those where the good old days when Jimmy Carter was president and we had 20% interest rates and 10% unemployment.
Carter and Treasury Secretary Paul Volcker broke the back of inflation by deregulatin everything and ruining all the good union jobs. life was just great in the 80's after that. people who had bought houses in the 60's and 70's and hadn't got wiped out in the late 70's had little tiny mortgages to pay and young people in the 80's making similar money would get laughed out of a bank if they asked for a mortgage.Housing prices had tripled but not paychecks.

the only thing that makes the 80's look good is Bill Clinton, what a loser that guy was,really screwed things up bad.

On the bright side it was party city in the mid 70's when I was in high school,I was pre disco 8)
ounce of weed was $40 but it wasn't anywhere's near as potent as what is avaiable today and the drinking age was 18 and cops didn't really bother anyone. $2.00 a six pack and gas lines for $1.00 a gallon gas. The 2 race roits we had while I was in school where just great :twisted: after the second one it was like being in jail with cops all over the place. hard to find a place to smoke a joint.

now beer and gas cost three times as much.Minimum wage was around $2.00 an hour in the mid to late 70's,they seem to set it according to what a six pack costs :lol:

There was some nice cars around,but only a few rich kids had nice cars in high school, like 69 camaro's and things like that,the average kid had some rust bucket tank that got 9 miles per gallon. :twisted:

We where living large when the 8 track players got replaced by cassett decks and we could buy a thing called an FM converter to make the old mono AM radio in the junk car pickup FM stations.

AM/FM cassett deck was all it,until it started eating tapes and than we would spend an hour taking it apart to make it cough up all the tape it swallowed, so much for that tape.

The 55mph speed limit was just great, too bad most of you people that post here missed that,those where the good old days for sure. :roll: It didn't really matter because by the nid 70's smog controll devices on cars had turned them into 100 horsepower 4000lb junks.Sorry you all never had to pleasure of driving a Ford Granada or Pinto and missed out on the fine automobiles produced by AMC like the Pacer and Gremlin. Oh yeah and the glory years for harley while they where owned by AMF, they should have stuck to making bowling balls.

Was nothing better than a chevy vega,had to stop at a gas station everyday and have them fill up the oil and check the gas.

i better stop before I get carried away :P

lae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 12:53 am

I would have loved being an adult in the sixties, I was a little kid then. Except I'd rather just not get any older than I am now. There's so much I still want to do.