Are psychiatrists more harm than good?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 6:17 am

I had a stupid shrink who tried to change me into something that I'm not. She tried to get me to dress like my peers and like what they liked and blend in. That was back in 1999 and she failed very miserably.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Apr 2011, 6:59 am

rpcarnell wrote:
Anti Psychiatry Website

Psychiatry has a good list of ups and downs. The bad things linked to it: electric shocks, lobotomies, terms like negrophilia (white people attracted to negros), thinking of masturbation as something deranged, seeing homosexuality as a disease, and believe it or not, if you are in a Catholic country, like Panama in my case, you may find psychiatrists that may have ideas that may seem ancient to someone in a first world country. Maybe not, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I visited a psychiatrist. I don't know how many rights someone here has to treat me against my will if I decided to stop visiting a shrink.

Medieval doctors used to bleed people with leeches to balance their four "humors".

Guess General Practitioners are evil, too.

You know, based on barbaric and crude s**t that happened in the very infancy of the field. :roll:

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Apr 2011, 7:00 am

One of the best counselors I ever saw was a practicing minister (I'm atheist)
and I never knew it until I stopped seeing him.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 9:18 am

Since we are talking GPs/counsellors I will bring in my experience with psychologists. So far I have had nothing but great experience with the ones I have seen and nothing but good results. Sure there are bad ones out there but as in any field or any purchase it is a "buyer beware" thing. Do you research ahead of time on the person you are about to see. Get references if possible. No reason to throw everyone of the professionals out because a few of them are bad. In this country you are partly responsible for your bad experiences as there are usually quite a few choices.

...just saying...

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 11:20 am

Psychiatry is a fairly new science, so it's still working out a lot of its kinks. Try to find a really good psychiatrist and you should be fine.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

I'm off to see one, hopefully, in a couple of months' time. I'll see how it goes. Any attempt to force an unwanted change in behaviour and I will immediately resist.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

I dated a couple of councillors, know some surfers in psyche, have been bullied by a few psyches, had a few as near neighbours....

I got little understanding from them in my experiences, and them seemed narcissistic career go getters to me.

Whores of Babylon? Tools of the state? Inner circle party members?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 9:50 pm

Bethie wrote:
Medieval doctors used to bleed people with leeches to balance their four "humors".

Guess General Practitioners are evil, too.

You know, based on barbaric and crude sh** that happened in the very infancy of the field. :roll:

Hey... leeches still have their uses... along with theraputic applications of maggots...

The infancy of the psyche field is horrifying but it also invented the first dildo... to cure female hysteria. If only they could stumble on those strokes a genius a bit more often.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2011, 5:42 pm

Well, perhaps we should always make sure that psychiatrists don't hospitalize anyone unless he is a danger to himself or to others.

Of course, that isn't even enough, since a person who is terminally ill, maybe, should have the right to end his / her life.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

In my experience, most counsellors are idiots and are mostly for someone to vent to about the everyday stresses of life, not serious mental health issues, psychologists are the better of the lot and teach you CBT and other coping tools and have had significant training, and psychiatrists are there as extra special advisers/drug prescribers - cost rises steeply with knowledge/experience/power.

Whoever you see (probably a psychologist for long term sessions), they shouldn't force you to be anything. They should be there to help you find out what you want and how to do that. My psychologist actually asked me why don't I just go on the benefit and do nothing? You have the right to live your life how you want and shouldn't be 'programmed' by a shrink and they definitely shouldn't impose their own opinions or beliefs, eg. religion, social norms etc. If they do, find another. I've seen about ten counsellors and psychologists and have only ever seen one regularly.

I've had bad experiences with all the above, which is why I'm skeptical. While they can be helpful support people, you can find all the information in books or online.

You won't be hospitalized against your will :P

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
russian wrote:
I know I read it wrong but I thought you had said "they will give you pillsthat make you have a relationship." I was thinking isn't that a hallucination thinking you have a relationship from meds?

The Psychiatrist will give meds to make a person want to seek other people for relationships, making them more social. That is one of the cornerstones of psychiatry. Psychiatry assumes no one could possibly be happy unless they are in deep, meaningful relationships with others. Sometimes, the opposite is true. People are their most miserable when in relationships with others.

Mine never did anything like that. :? He noted my social isolation, made sure I wasn't unhappy with it, and said "Well, as long as you aren't lonely, that's fine."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

shyengineer wrote:
You won't be hospitalized against your will :P

That is exactly what I had a nightmare about last week. I dreamed that I found an autism clinic. I went in to be evaluated and they put me in this room full of people who just acted like zombies and did not talk. I was freaked out and decided I wanted to leave, but they stopped me and told me I couldn't, I had already been admitted. I was totally trapped and couldn't get out of there.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:27 am

Are meds, drugs (including weed) and alcohol more harm than good??