Are psychiatrists more harm than good?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2011, 3:38 am

My experience with psychiatrist is limited to 0. I haven't been to one.

But from what I can see, they seem to be a group of people that may think you need help if you do anything that is outside the social norm. For example, a religious psychiatrist may think I am crazy, since i have been an atheist for twenty years, or at least he will think I am angry with religion, or I have Asperger Syndrome, and I can't understand abstract concepts, like religion.

I have never been on a date, and I haven't had a relationship with anyone, and I am not planning to either. And that's that. Once again, this isn't something a psychiatrist would consider normal, and he'd try to "brainwash me" into changing that.

I grew up in a catholic family, and as a kid, I couldn't pronounce the r, the s, and the t. Whenever I asked my family to help me change that (in Panama, you can't work until you are 18), they told me I should see a psychiatrist because there was nothing wrong with not being able to talk properly. They just wanted the power of prayer to fix the whole thing, not a speech therapist. Perhaps my bias comes from those days.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 3:48 am

Sometimes. Same with medicine.

Since you've no experience, I'd at least see one mental health professional before you make sweeping conclusions about what one would do. A bad psychiatrist will let their personal feelings bias their work. A good one will work with you to feel better, not changed into something you're not.

russian
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 3:48 am

Anti-psychiatry is nothing new, or false per se
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-psychiatry

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:03 am

rpcarnell wrote:

But from what I can see, they seem to be a group of people that may think you need help if you do anything that is outside the social norm. For example, a religious psychiatrist may think I am crazy, since i have been an atheist for twenty years, or at least he will think I am angry with religion, or I have Asperger Syndrome, and I can't understand abstract concepts, like religion.

I have never been on a date, and I haven't had a relationship with anyone, and I am not planning to either. And that's that. Once again, this isn't something a psychiatrist would consider normal, and he'd try to "brainwash me" into changing that.

I grew up in a catholic family, and as a kid, I couldn't pronounce the r, the s, and the t. Whenever I asked my family to help me change that (in Panama, you can't work until you are 18), they told me I should see a psychiatrist because there was nothing wrong with not being able to talk properly. They just wanted the power of prayer to fix the whole thing, not a speech therapist. Perhaps my bias comes from those days.

First of all, can you please be more specific about what you are experiencing that you want a psychiatrist to treat? From your post I cannot tell if a psychiatrist would even be able to help you.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:11 am

rpcarnell wrote:

The Psychiatrist would have a problem with you not having relationships and would want to give you meds thinking it would change that. I advocate a "live and let live" movement in Psychiatry that says it's okay to want to be alone as a legitimate lifestyle choice. Wanting to be alone doesn't indicate mental problems any more than any other lifestyle choice that deviates from the norm does.

russian
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 4:16 am

I know I read it wrong but I thought you had said "they will give you pillsthat make you have a relationship." I was thinking isn't that a hallucination thinking you have a relationship from meds?

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2011, 4:18 am

The only thing I have I'd like a psychiatrist to treat is the fact that I may have ADHD. Other than that, I like some of the choices I have made and won't change them.

Like someone said, a good psychiatrist won't let his bias or beliefs get in the way of his work.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:21 am

russian wrote:
I know I read it wrong but I thought you had said "they will give you pillsthat make you have a relationship." I was thinking isn't that a hallucination thinking you have a relationship from meds?

The Psychiatrist will give meds to make a person want to seek other people for relationships, making them more social. That is one of the cornerstones of psychiatry. Psychiatry assumes no one could possibly be happy unless they are in deep, meaningful relationships with others. Sometimes, the opposite is true. People are their most miserable when in relationships with others.

russian
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 4:25 am

Cocaine makes people more social. But it is illegal. But a shrink can give me something else? what?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:28 am

A psychotropic medication like risperidone, but I wouldn't recommend it. I knew someone who took it for a while and it almost turned her into a zombie. Her GP prescribed it. After seeing what it did to her, I wouldn't want to take it or anything like it.

russian
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 4:30 am

social zombie ? Hi I'm Bob and I like brainy women.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 4:34 am

russian wrote:
social zombie ? Hi I'm Bob and I like brainy women.

Unsocial zombie who sat on the couch with no energy whatsoever. It was eerie. That's why it's better to just be who you are without trying to change it.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2011, 5:13 am

Try taking Valerian. You take it too often, and you start getting depressed.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2011, 5:26 am

Anti Psychiatry Website

Psychiatry has a good list of ups and downs. The bad things linked to it: electric shocks, lobotomies, terms like negrophilia (white people attracted to negros), thinking of masturbation as something deranged, seeing homosexuality as a disease, and believe it or not, if you are in a Catholic country, like Panama in my case, you may find psychiatrists that may have ideas that may seem ancient to someone in a first world country. Maybe not, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I visited a psychiatrist. I don't know how many rights someone here has to treat me against my will if I decided to stop visiting a shrink.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 6:11 am

Narcissistic power tripping, tablet cowboys

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 6:17 am

I had a stupid shrink who tried to change me into something that I'm not. She tried to get me to dress like my peers and like what they liked and blend in. That was back in 1999 and she failed very miserably.