Do aspies see this image differently from others?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which direction does the dancer rotate? And are you an aspie/ASD or a NT
Dancer rotates clockwise - I am neurotypical 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Dancer rotates counter-clockwise - I am neurotypical 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dancer rotates clockwise - I am an Aspie/have an ASD 72%  72%  [ 34 ]
Dancer rotates counter-clockwise - I am an Aspie/have an ASD 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 47

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

OOH! Lace-Bane just saw it :D. Although the details don't add up, when not paying attention it went counter clockwise :D

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 6:51 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
OOH! Lace-Bane just saw it :D. Although the details don't add up, when not paying attention it went counter clockwise :D

Yay! Did it stay counter clockwise when you looked straight at it, or did it revert back to clockwise?

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 6:54 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Lace-Bane wrote:

Yay! Did it stay counter clockwise when you looked straight at it, or did it revert back to clockwise?
It's weird, Lace-Bane wrote the post saying he saw it and now he can only see it going clockwise again :?. So... it has gone back to clockwise :|

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 6:57 pm

Now Lace-Bane gets it :D! He has to tell himself that the leg is moving in the opposite direction while it passes through the body a few times and then it stays that way :D

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:02 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
draelynn wrote:
The static optical illusions I can switch back and forth easily but that dancer... persistently counter clockwise no matter how I look at it. And I've attempted that illusion for years.

Interestingly enough I'm a lefty- so, supposedly, right brained...

I was supposed to be left handed, but had a nasty kindergarten teacher and now use my right hand more.

You know, i need to find that article I read... it was something about brian wiring and handedness.

Supposedly, when people are forced to use their non-dominant hand it leads to some sort of brain confusion. So, left handed people are more apt to suffer this 'confusion?' because most things in the world are oriented for righthanders. Gah. It was so long ago... I must find it again now! I went through an extreme
lefty' phase for awhile, digging up everything on lefthandedness and brain dominance...

I wonder if you are still right brained though or, if through forced opposite dominance they changed your brain dominance... hmmmmm...

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:05 pm

draelynn wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
draelynn wrote:
The static optical illusions I can switch back and forth easily but that dancer... persistently counter clockwise no matter how I look at it. And I've attempted that illusion for years.

Interestingly enough I'm a lefty- so, supposedly, right brained...

I was supposed to be left handed, but had a nasty kindergarten teacher and now use my right hand more.

You know, i need to find that article I read... it was something about brian wiring and handedness.

Supposedly, when people are forced to use their non-dominant hand it leads to some sort of brain confusion. So, left handed people are more apt to suffer this 'confusion?' because most things in the world are oriented for righthanders. Gah. It was so long ago... I must find it again now! I went through an extreme
lefty' phase for awhile, digging up everything on lefthandedness and brain dominance...

I wonder if you are still right brained though or, if through forced opposite dominance they changed your brain dominance... hmmmmm...

It's a good question. I often find myself using my left hand without thinking, though. On the whole, I believe I'm ambidextrous. I'm left hand dominant for some things, and right hand dominant for others. Then there are things where I switch off without a second thought.

Sorry, I'm rambling. My head hurts. :-(

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

I initially saw it as counter-clockwise, but then as I was voting, I glanced at it and it was moving clockwise. Then, like Lace-Bane, I couldn't make myself see it counter-clockwise, so I figured I must have just been confused. Then after voting and after looking at the wiki link, I saw it going counter-clockwise again and couldn't make myself see it clockwise. :lol:

OldFroggie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2011, 7:23 pm

cool :)
I see it going clockwise and can't get see it the other way. I study perception science and am a self diagnosed aspie, and just thought it would be interesting to hear how others experience this.
I have a bit of a scientific mindset so I would like to see ASD people against NT, see if there's a difference. Again, just my innate curiosity and annoyance at not being able to see both directions.

@Lace-Bane:
If you analyze the sequence then there really is no information to tell you which way it rotates. You can save the image to your disk (it's an animated .gif) and analyze each frame. Run the animation backwards, it won't make a difference in your perception :D

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:43 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
Actually after reading the article, Lace-Bane still can't see it :|.

As with the description I gave of the blade and arch... the arch is larger when the raised foot reaches the left side of the screen. Which with the pivot would indicate that the foot is moving clock wise. Lace-Bane thinks the art is flawed :P. If the image was done in a correct manner and the details didn't give the motion away, Lace-Bane could see it... the details just negate the possibility in his mind :?

Yes. I saw the motion as clockwise right away, but it took some closer inspection to understand why.

I can force myself to see it going counter-clockwise but then the leg motion looks less natural. Since the perspective is clearly from above the feet, to see the counter-clockwise motion you have to imagine that she is kicking her right leg up as she rotates it around to the front. This kicking motion makes the whole move look like she is off-balance. It looks almost un-physical.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:47 pm

Counter, then clockwise if I look at it enough. Then I can't make it go counter any more.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

First counterclockwise. I can switch it with a bit of effort; once I've done the first switch I can flip it back and forth almost effortlessly.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Apr 2011, 12:17 am

Dyslexics might see it differently than typical normal NTs. I see it as going clockwise

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 1:03 am

That's probably not supposed to happen :lol:. Lace-Bane was looking at the image again and now she turns clockwise and then counter clockwise back a forth without making a single full rotation :?

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 1:13 am

There should be a button for both, it's switches back and forth constantly.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Apr 2011, 1:31 am

The longer I look at it; the dizzier I get. It never stops going clockwise but if you tell me it doesn'[t; I'll believe you because it's like hypnotizing me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 1:55 am

League_Girl wrote:
The woman is going clockwise and then she switches when I stare at it long enough. Then she goes back to going clockwise again. And I am an aspie.

Totally the same here!