Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 10:31 am

I've always liked storms. I like the on-edge electrical feeling when a storm is approaching, I like the thundering booms and lightning flashes. I like the excitement and motion. I even sleep better and feel calmer to the sound of running water.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Who gets this energized? Is there a correlation between this feeling and the sensory sensitivity in AS?

What do you think? Does anyone have any information or opinions about this?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

I don't like storms, but that's because tornadoes touched down outside our house when I was little and knocked over a bunch of trees which miraculously did not hit our house. But I saw other houses which weren't so lucky and were pretty much destroyed. If it were possible to separate the wind and tornadoes out and just have the thunder and lightning, then I would enjoy them.

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2011, 11:23 am

I love summer t-storms..the electricity, the clouds, awsome....of course when it causes damage its never good...but the sheer power and strength of storms that blow in after hot humid afternoons is exciting. The downpours sometimes can be intense as well..though I find the smell of the rain after a storm to be offputting. The mildew smell.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 1:56 pm

Oh, that mildew smell is revolting. I live in Florida and you can be walking along and have it hit you like a ton of bricks. Mold grows anywhere and everywhere here.

I've gone through hurricanes. For Hurricane Charley, our house was the only house left untouched in our neighborhood. We had everybody's fences in our yard. Only a couple roof shingles flew off, and that was repaired by the landlord himself the next day. What saved us were the australian pines next to the house. And I had to laugh about that because it's not a native tree and it's considered a nuisance... yet they saved our house via wind sheer. :)

I've also seen tornadoes. I will never forget the sight of a F3 coming in off Lake Michigan. I must have been only about 9 or 10 years old. I was on the shoreline in Escanaba, Michigan with my grandma and mother. We saw it way out on the water. My mother was the only one with the sense to get us out of there. My grandma and I were both mesmerized. It was so beautiful and awesome. That tornado, plus another one we found out about afterward, really tore up that Escanaba/Gladstone area.

The tragedy can storms can bring doesn't ever seem to dampen my lust for them. There's some guilt there... more guilt when I have the adrenaline rush while photographing a fire, only to have the family whose life is being destroyed standing mere yards away from me. But I can't help it. It's still wild.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

I like how the the sensation when the barometric pressure drops and I can smell ozone. I love storms too! At least when I'm inside and safe/warm. I prefer winter time and I think it's because I function well when the weather is inclement. I can become almost giddy with excitement when there's a storm and I love to watch.

Certainly ASD have different sensory needs - seems you've found yours. Hope you have lots of thunder storms this summer time, wefunction :)

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 2:09 pm

I love that negative ion rush as a huge thunderstorm barrels in. The bigger and nastier the storm the bigger the rush. And it's not a fear or adrenaline rush. I know both of those things very well. As poor as I am at connecting to humans, I've always felt I can connect better to nature.

Jealous about the tornado siting! I've always wanted to see one.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:01 pm

I love heavy rain...........I listen to a heavy rain background soundtrack while studying. I love watching rain. I don't like thunder and lightening though.........thunder is too loud and lightening is scary if you are outside.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm

I love storms. The wet, electric smell is just awesome.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm

I love storms.

I run out in hail and love the sound of heavy rain on the windows.

Thunder gets me all excited and jumpy.

And I love the sound of strong wind.

Even love the smell of rain.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 12:36 am

Living in Florida Hurricanes were a special interest of mine from a young age. I got an adrenaline rush from the excitement of one nearing Florida; the closer they came the more excited I got.

I remember going to sleep extremely excited when Hurricane Camille was predicted to come close to where I lived. A turn to the left and we were spared to my dismay. As they say be careful what you wish for.

The fascination continued until directly impacted by Hurricane Ivan. After about six hours of constant wind and horrible noises, fear replaced the excitement.

I felt guilty for all the times I hoped for the storms to get bigger, all those years, for the sake of my own personal excitement.

Challenges and excitement allowed me focus and executive function, I didn't have when there wasn't much going on. I think that was part of the reason I enjoyed the excitement of storms.

There is also a feeling of connectedness when everyone is getting ready for a hurricane; a common purpose and goal for everyone, not often seen.

Interesting too, getting to know neighbors you had for years, for the first time during a week long power outage.

Another underlying cause of Autism (Airconditioning). :wink:

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

The community that comes together after a hurricane is something special. I remember that 2004 hurricane season as the beginning of when it became cool to hike up fuel prices. I thought it was ridiculous that it was over $2 per gallon then. Hah! Wouldn't we love to pay only $2 per gallon now? I'm glad you made it through Ivan, aghogday. I have to admit that I do prefer my storms to be with wind advisories only. The Atlantic can keep the hurricanes.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:16 am

IT'S RAINING!! ! :D
Severe Thunderstorm today!

I'm worried for my step-daughter. She lives 90 miles north of me so she's getting a far worse storm. Last week, her area had a tornado. Thankfully, she was safe. I hope she stays safe. The cool thing is that most of our schools in Florida double as hurricane shelters, which means they can last through some bad-ass storms.

I've still got work to do but I love hearing that sound just outside the window. :D

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:20 pm

LabPet wrote:
I like how the the sensation when the barometric pressure drops and I can smell ozone. I love storms too! At least when I'm inside and safe/warm. I prefer winter time and I think it's because I function well when the weather is inclement. I can become almost giddy with excitement when there's a storm and I love to watch.

Same here. I love it when it rain's, i think that is why the past few days have been good :D
Although i don't much like the humidity afterwards though.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

Britain is exceptionally lame on the storm-front:( We won't be getting any lightning until June. I would love to go to FL for one reason and one reason only...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

That is pretty much exactly how I feel about storms. but yeah I feel the energy from the storm so it gives me a bit of a rush you could say and if the lightning is not too bad I like to go out into the storm to fully experiance it.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 1:28 am

I love storms, as long as I don't have to be out in them. I hate driving in the rain. As long as I'm indoors, I like heavy rain. I find the sound to be very relaxing. I don't care too much for thunder, though. I find it a bit disturbing.