Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

klikmaus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2011, 7:18 pm

I LOVE thunderstorms... particularly late afternoon ones that last through the evening. I grew up in West Texas where these are the norm throughout the spring (or at least they were, Texas has been in drought status for waaaaaay to long). I seem to feel more "alive" during a thunderstorm.... Full of energy! Tornadoes don't bother me, I tend to be a bit of a thrill seeker to an extent (BMX jumping, flying, going fast....) I'm in Southern California now, not very many thinderstorms :( Strangely enough though, I still get slightly unnerved when my head gets wet. It's one thing bathing or taking a shower but being in the rain without a hat really bothers me. This COULD be due to excessive stimuli but with as rare as rain is here, it might be a long time before I have the opportunity to subject myself to "getting rained on" and concluding WHY it's so uncomfortable.....

What we DO have here are EARTHQUAKES and those scare the bejesus out of me! I do NOT LIKE IT when the ground moves!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm

Yes. I'm actually quite obsessed about thunderstorms. I always looked forward to the first thunderstorm of the year as the harbinger of spring here in Michigan. You can almost watch the grass greening up after the first heavy rain storms of April. I've been living in Seattle the past few years and it was hard getting used to the almost complete lack of thunderstorms in that part of the country. :(

But yea, the weather has been pretty insane this spring. I accidentally drove right into a hail storm last Tuesday while trying to "chase" (actually the storms were developing and moving so fast that I didn't have a chance of outrunning them). Luckily the hail didn't get quite big enough to start doing damage to the car. I pulled off the road and the ground was covered by 1.25" diameter star shaped ice chunks. Then the tornado sirens started going off after the storm had already passed. :roll: Turns out that storm did have a small mesocyclone on radar and produced an F0 tornado one county southwest of my location, 20 minutes before the warning was issued.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

This is the storm I drove through.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grr&storyid=67280&source=2

It doesn't look very large or impressive on radar but it was intense. Lots of reports of 1" and bigger hail and "instant" flooding of roadways plus one small tornado.

klikmaus

01 May 2011, 6:37 pm

That's cool Marshal. I lived in Michigan a few years ago-- Port Huron. LOVE the fishing there!

My fiancee and I are considering moving back as ironically the unemployment rate in California is WORSE than in Michigan, but I hate the cold.... and there's other states which have better employment opportunities..... I REALLY need a job.....

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:01 pm

I absolutely love a power full thunder storm. I can remember as a child being yelled at to get out of the rain. My most memorable car ride was heading in to a f2 tornado, almost a sadistic pleasure. :twisted: