Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:44 am

Why do NT people make such a big deal if someone is on the autistic spectrum??????? Is it lack of knowledge?

I find that aspergers is a more acceptable and casual label to use with NT's. If you autism or say your on the spectrum NTs will make a huge deal out of it or run a mile.

Do you agree with me or not? i think it cause of the film rainman that NTs get these irrational misconceptions about Autistic people.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2011, 10:59 am

Jamesy wrote:
i think it cause of the film rainman that NTs get these irrational misconceptions about Autistic people.

Yes, I would agree. Who wasn't effected by that movie's depiction? For years I've struggled with 'fitting in' and how I process the world. I never considered that I might have an ASD because of my perception of the disorder depicted in the movie 'Rain Man', I knew I didn't have anything that severe or debilitating. The TV show 'House' didn't help much either because I knew I wasn't a genius.

It wasn't until recently that I made the connection between my 'issues' and the possibility of autism, most probably the HFA type, with the realization allowing for the most productive period of self awareness that I've ever experienced. I can accept being in a place between 'Rain Man' and 'House', not disabled and not gifted, but none the less effected.

Last edited by Dinosaw on 12 Apr 2011, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 11:49 am

Sad though really as a kid before i found out i was autistic i used to watch unfourtante kids on TV with real problems and disabilities and i thought to myself "I am thankful that i am normal" ONLY to find out as i got older that i was not considered normal really cause i was on the spectrum........ unfourtnatly it seems that being mainstream normal really is something we ain't all blessed with.

Being 'normal' to me is a mystery.