Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:59 pm

Happiness. I hate that word. Even when I was a little kid that song about being happy and whatnot really annoyed me, I did not understand it. People think they can just be happy all the time. Like it's a choice. Or even worse, pretend like they know secrets to gaining it. I lied, the true worst part is that I've always been told that I can't find happiness because of my attitude against it. I've got 3 words for people who think that. You're full of it. never mind that's four. Whatever.

First of all happiness is relative. Take an unhappy person, give them something to be happy about, and that person will be happier than someone who was already happy to begin with. In order to have something to be happy about, there must be something to not be happy about. To have unhappiness removed is the same as adding more happiness in addition to happiness. It does not equate to more happiness. I'm probably sounding quite confusing at the moment, but I don't know how to explain it in a better way. Happiness is a give and take relationship. If you already have it, you need to give a little to get more, whereas if you do not, all you can do is receive, or at least that's my theory. Happiness has always been a complex thought for me, that's the only reasonably sensible thought I've had about it.

Secondly, happiness is not a choice. Applying this to the concept above, it makes no sense. I guess some people fool themselves into being happy all the time. Because being happy is just so great?

And once again, my favorite, the whole the secret to happiness is _____. Insert whatever bull spit you want there. None of it makes any sense at all. You just need friends. You just need relationships. You just need to look at the positive side of things. It's all garbage. There might be a grain of truth to some of it, but in reality everything is just a grain of sand on an entire fricking beach.

I will agree that most people do in fact spend most of their time picking out the bad grains rather than looking at all the good ones. Perhaps someone here more knowledgeable in the arts of psychology could elaborate on that.

And now, to reflect this back onto myself. It probably sounds like I am an extremely depressed pessimist after writing that. I insist that I am not. I have been depressed before, and that was 100% due to anxiety. I am not depressed right now. I am in the state of emotion I am 90% of the time. Contentment. If something good happens, great, I'll be happy about it. If something bad happens, then I might get a bit angry. But most of the time, I am neither. And even then, happiness is great and all, but it isn't everything. It seems to me like many people are addicted to happiness. I don't get it. Obviously nobody wants to be a sad person, but what good is being happy if you are always happy? Once again, this goes back to what I was saying, if happiness exists most of the time, then what meaning does it have? Is it really happiness or is it just usual, which can't possibly be happy, because happy is happy. Screw this, lets just talk about algorithms.

Aspie over-analysis complete. Back to the topic at hand. So no, I cannot force myself to be happy. I cannot force myself to be anything that I am not. I am what I am, and that is usually contentment. Neither extreme. I save the extremes for when they are necessary. No amount of doing whatever will change that.