Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AMS
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

During an assessment for Asperger syndrome I had with a psychologist, I was given a list of fifty words to read out loud. I have not read about this before, nor is it something I have had to do before. Has anyone else done this, or does anyone know the significance of it?

Millstone
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

what were some of the words

AMS
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

I can't remember that many. The only ones I can remember being on there are 'aesthetic', 'hyperbole', and 'conscientious'.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 12:59 am

Did they ask you to pronounce the word "vegetable" or the word "comfortable"?

Once when I was in high school several people in one of my classes told me that the way that I pronounced those words was strange, because everyone else pronounced them as "vetch-tah-bl" and "com-fter-bl", but I pronounce them as "veg-eh-tah-bl" and "com-frr-tah-bl".

I've always tried to pronounce all of the letters in words. I know that my pronunciation is different than other people's pronunciation, but it feels really strange not to pronounce all of the letters. Words like "Wednesday" and "colonel" annoy me because they can't be pronounced as they're spelled.

AMS
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Apr 2011, 1:44 am

I did think it might have something to do with something like that. I can't remember what other words are on there, but there were some odd, complex ones in the second half. I just would like to be able to find a journal article or something that talks about this sort of thing done during assessments.