Best List of Symptoms of AS I've Seen Online

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm

Looks good however it is very misleading as it says "Asperger's Syndrome Characteristics" when it should say "Negative Characteristics of Asperger's Syndrome". I have many positive characteristics as well and someone reading this may think it's a completely negative thing in my life I would want removed which is not true at all.

Also many lists like these in addition to mentioning the fact that they are purely focusing on the negatives should also stress that most people would only have some not all of the characteristics listed.

Last edited by manlyadam on 22 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm

I remember these were posted a bit at a time about 2 years ago, and we all gave a score for how much we related to it.
I'm a yes for most of those, but not as many apply to me from the cognitive characteristics as the other categories. I seem to fit almost if not all the work related ones.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

Zen wrote:
Aren't some of them contradictory? Like Impulsiveness and Rigid adherence to rules and routine?

I guess it can manifest in different ways though, the same issue causing different people to react in different ways.

I am impulsive and I have rigid adherence to routines.

Impulsiveness applies to a lot of things. It can be impatience with standing in line, it can be spending too much money, having trouble waiting for someone else to stop talking before you start, etc.

I also have trouble with disruptions to my routines, changes in plans, unexpected visitors, etc.

Without making an exhaustive list, a lot of these apply to me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2011, 1:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
after the reading that list of symptoms I wonder who ISN'T an Aspie.

ruveyn

I remember this one guy who was flailing about online quizzes. To him, all online quizzes were wrong and bad and no one should ever take them or if they did, take the results seriously. He included things like the autism quotient and the aspie quiz in this category, which was interesting since both actually have screening value.

Anyway, he tried to debunk the aspie quiz by pointing out that each question individually, by itself, couldn't point to autism. Rather than being a collection of questions with internally consistent weighting and math supported by statistics, he took them as a collection of individual questions that he could tear apart because he could tear each question apart in isolation.

If you look at these lists as a series of traits in isolation, then yes, they apply to NTs. If you look at these lists as a group of traits that tend to cluster in people on the autistic spectrum, then it becomes clear that NTs aren't going to have as many as any autistic person does.

scribbler16
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Apr 2011, 1:01 pm

Thanks for posting this. Very complete list.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 1:05 pm

Verdandi wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
after the reading that list of symptoms I wonder who ISN'T an Aspie.

ruveyn

I remember this one guy who was flailing about online quizzes. To him, all online quizzes were wrong and bad and no one should ever take them or if they did, take the results seriously. He included things like the autism quotient and the aspie quiz in this category, which was interesting since both actually have screening value.

Anyway, he tried to debunk the aspie quiz by pointing out that each question individually, by itself, couldn't point to autism. Rather than being a collection of questions with internally consistent weighting and math supported by statistics, he took them as a collection of individual questions that he could tear apart because he could tear each question apart in isolation.

If you look at these lists as a series of traits in isolation, then yes, they apply to NTs. If you look at these lists as a group of traits that tend to cluster in people on the autistic spectrum, then it becomes clear that NTs aren't going to have as many as any autistic person does.

Sounds like the guy didn't understand the meaning of the word "syndrome".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 1:17 pm

Aimless wrote:

Apparently he had studied psychiatry or psychology in college. He was, however, vehemently against people diagnosing themselves.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

scribbler16 wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Very complete list.

+1

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2011, 2:51 pm

I didn't get these two:

- Reliance on internal speech process to "talk" oneself through a task or procedure
- Using social masks inappropriately (you are "xv" while everyone else is ????)

The example is even more confusing :D

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:04 pm

chinatown wrote:
I didn't get these two:

- Reliance on internal speech process to "talk" oneself through a task or procedure
- Using social masks inappropriately (you are "xv" while everyone else is ????)

The example is even more confusing :D

I use my external speech process (which should be internal, but I can't think that way) to talk myself through things sometimes.

I am not sure on the second.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

It basically means that you smile at funerals without realising it's not appropriate.

Louise18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Apparently he had studied psychiatry or psychology in college. He was, however, vehemently against people diagnosing themselves.

If your symptoms aren't bad enough that you needed to see a doctor, there iw probably very little point in diagnosing you.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:25 pm

Louise18 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Aimless wrote:

If your symptoms aren't bad enough that you needed to see a doctor, there iw probably very little point in diagnosing you.

I don't understand how this relates to what I said. Could you clarify?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

anbuend wrote:
Yes autistic traits are often contradictory. This is because we can tend towards both extremes in an area, but miss the middle ground. They did a study once where they rated people from 1 (never/rarely) to 3 (usually/always) on various traits, both autistic and nonautistic people. They did this trying to determine which traits were autistic traits. They were surprised when the result was that autistic people were more likely to be 1 or 3 on any given trait, and nonautistic people were likely to be 2 more often.

That's interesting. But it does make sense.

(I haven't managed to get through the list yet myself. It's very hard to read.)

Verdandi:
I see what you're saying. They aren't really exact opposites. I feel I'm the opposite of impulsive myself. I usually spend far too much time thinking before doing something. :lol:

manlyadam:
I guess it depends on the purpose of the list. You wouldn't be looking for a diagnosis for positive traits, for example.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:56 pm

Given the amount of pseudoscience on the rest of the page, I would consider it a WEAK! source.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:06 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
Given the amount of pseudoscience on the rest of the page, I would consider it a WEAK! source.

Be specific, please.