Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

Today marks Good Friday in America. We get to remember a man who had to carry a wooden cross across town as he repeatedly fell down, the crowd sneering at him. The cross kept hitting the crown of thorns so he is completely covered in his own blood. When he gets to the top of the hill, they nail his wrists and his ankles to the cross and he hangs for 3 hours until he dies from (in my opinion) the worst sort of death you can have. And then, after he dies, he gets pierced with a spear to make sure. All this happened because God loves you.

It leaves me thinking: if this is GOOD Friday, what exactly is BAD Friday? I have not thought of anything worse than that. Discuss.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:40 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
Today marks Good Friday in America. We get to remember a man who had to carry a wooden cross across town as he repeatedly fell down, the crowd sneering at him. The cross kept hitting the crown of thorns so he is completely covered in his own blood. When he gets to the top of the hill, they nail his wrists and his ankles to the cross and he hangs for 3 hours until he dies from (in my opinion) the worst sort of death you can have. And then, after he dies, he gets pierced with a spear to make sure. All this happened because God loves you.

It leaves me thinking: if this is GOOD Friday, what exactly is BAD Friday? I have not thought of anything worse than that. Discuss.

What I asked my mom when I was six or seven when she explained what the holiday was about while she was buttoning the collar on my Sunday best before we and grandma all went to church- was if this is the day they crucified him then "why isnt it called 'Bad' Friday?'

She agreed that it was a confusing but didnt give a memorable explanation.

I think every child in Christendom has wondered that.

Kinda like why is the letter "W" called "double U" when its obviously a "double V"?
Every English speaking child who passes the first grade wonders that.

It think its just the fact that "good" and "god" were interchangeable words in old english.
And then god gradually became the noun and good became the adjective. So it really means "god Fridday"- a day to be mindful of god. Not a Friday that has anything good about it.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
She agreed that it was a confusing but didnt give a memorable explanation.

She didn't? An answer I would think of is that GOOD means that Jesus died for everyone's salvation, "good for humanity". It isn't much difficult to come up with that answer that christians can accept.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

I always wondered that too.

Because you brought it up, I googled, "why is it called Good Friday?" and discovered that many, many people have wondered that. Here's a good explanation:

http://www.kencollins.com/question-11.htm

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

I looked up good in the Oxford dictionary. As a noun it means 'that which is morally right; righteousness'.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

It's a good friday for me :) I always make a special effort to eat meat and drink beer on good Friday (the former isn't sold in Ireland today).

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:18 pm

We are very catholic so we do lent. It is such a great opportunity to eat vegetarian foods. That's right. I am not against vegetarian food, I am against veganism and the assumption you should stop eating meat altogether. But eating a well-made dish that doesn't have meat is healthy and it adds to variety. I guess it doesn't hurt that the ban is against meat and not all animal products (cheese and eggs), which to me are vital in any good non-meat dish :) In fact, for some reason fish and other sea creatures are all right to eat, I am not sure if it is all right to eat fish in Catholic doctrine or if it is a local modification that came out of the scarcity of fish in this area.

On good Friday specifically, the local tradition is ... to eat fish and /or shrimp. I love shrimp so I eat very well in Good Friday (Although we call it Holy Friday here).

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

Janissy wrote:
I always wondered that too.

Because you brought it up, I googled, "why is it called Good Friday?" and discovered that many, many people have wondered that. Here's a good explanation:

http://www.kencollins.com/question-11.htm

In spanish is called "Viernes Santo" - Holy Friday.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 6:12 pm

This. This is Bad Friday.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 7:45 pm

Years ago, a friend and I were going out drinking on Good Friday, when his father, rather disapprovingly, asked my friend, "What do you think Jesus did on Good Friday?"
My friend answered, "He ate and drank with his friends."
"HE GOT CRUCIFIED!" his Dad stormed at him.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 6:23 am

Yay for me: Thinking in only current English connotations FTW.

They really should change it to Holy Friday or Mourning Friday. That seems like a more logical choice than having "Good." I went to Catholic school and they never explained that one really well from what I remember.

AliPasha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

I was going to post Friday but Simonono beat to it, that video is the definition of Bad Friday and bad music

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

HerrGrimm wrote:
... All this happened because God loves you.

**big, big chuckle**

No, all of that happened because a few folks happened to hate the man in question!

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

leejosepho wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:
... All this happened because God loves you.

**big, big chuckle**

No, all of that happened because a few folks happened to hate the man in question!

It was supposed to be a bit funny. But it was planned to happen. He had to die to save people from sin. Between this and the story of Abraham, God is rather sick in testing people's faith.

EDIT: I hate you Simonono. I lost 10 IQ points from just the song. This is one of those songs that if the singer was not attractive this never would have taken place. This is like something Sesame Street would do, but if Cookie Monster did this it would be the most awesome song ever instead of this stupidity. I have to salvage this somewhere:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM12485yyWc[/youtube]

Last edited by HerrGrimm on 23 Apr 2011, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:08 pm

Its because he came here to die for us and, yesterday 1,982 years ago supposedly , he proved he wasn't BSing us about that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

Simonono wrote:
This. This is Bad Friday.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/youtube]

Who is that gorgeous creature? I would like to become her best friend.

ruveyn