Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rissadc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

Hey, I'm new to this diet, and I'm also a vegetarian. Does anyone have any good recipes or tips to share?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

i will be back later with info. i am a vego borderline vegan who is also nut/ seed/ gluten free.

So I'm never in a rush

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 7:18 pm

Thai curries are at the top of my list, along with pad thai. I looooooove rice noodles. If you like non-Americanized Asian food, much of that is gluten/casein free. I posted a few links in this thread, but I can dig up some more. 8)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2011, 8:51 pm

I'm veg going to vegan, and the farther away I get from gluten the better I feel. Same for cassein - that's in cheese, right? <heavy sigh! cheese is my friend ... :wink: >

I'll be grateful for any info I can find here. Thank you!

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 2:52 am

Claradoon wrote:
I'm veg going to vegan, and the farther away I get from gluten the better I feel. Same for cassein - that's in cheese, right? <heavy sigh! cheese is my friend ... :wink: >

I'll be grateful for any info I can find here. Thank you!

There are far lower levels of cassien in sheeps and goats cheeses. That is the only thing keeping us from being fully vegan. If the soy cheeses in australia, didn't contain palm oil, we would be.

I will post what i made for dinner tonight. If anyone wan't more recipies, PM me.

Mixed veg skewers with asian style sauce on a bed of jasmine rice.

Chop 3 bell peppers of various colours, 3 cougettes (zucchini), 2 red onions into 2cm cubes. Blanche them witha punnet of cherry tomatoes in hot water for 1 minute. Thread onto skewers. Fry in a thin layer of oil until golden on all sides(you can freeze after threading onto skewers for later use). In a pot simmer, 1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten free) with 2 cloves garlic and 2 tablespoons honey until melted together. then place skewers on a bed of cooked jasmine rice and pour dressing over.

So I'm never in a rush

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

Thank you for that recipe! I'll try it - especially I like the part that I can freeze the veg on skewers - I'm cooking for one.

Do you say that palm oil is non-veg? How so?

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Eating wheat and milk free is sometimes referred to as a paleo diet - sometimes evolutionary diet. That's what I eat and feel better for it. You might take a look at Robb Wolf's sight. Some good diet tips mentioned there.

http://robbwolf.com/faq/

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:24 am

I'd recommend doing an Internet search for some good quinoa recipes. Quinoa is gluten-free and a complete protein, so it would be great for someone who's gluten-free and a vegetarian. Another plus is that it's very simple to prepare, too.

Here is my personal favorite: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and ... etail.aspx
You can add other veggies and spices to personalize this recipe pretty easily, too.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:12 pm

I'm going to try that recipe. I bought quinoa, but when I've made it, it's not at all appealing to me. I think I'm probably doing it wrong. :lol:

Today I bought stuff to make nachos: corn chips, refried beans, salsa, jalapeno, lettuce, tomato. You have to check the ingredients to be sure you're getting ones which are vegetarian and gluten/casein free. Some refried beans are made with lard, and I'm sure many corn chips have junk in them as well. I suppose you could add grated soy cheese as well, but I don't care for it, especially for the price (and it might have gluten in it, I haven't bothered to check since I don't like it).

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:47 am

Cool--hope you like it!

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

I don't eat gluten at all-in fact I am having mainly raw foods these days (ok ok except chocolate dipped in peanut butter :lol: ) I feel a lot healthier,lighter,more aware and perceptive without processed foods,especially without breads and flours,in my system.I remember eating a pizza I made earlier this month,ugh I felt like a hippo giving birth the next day.So overloaded!
If you want to use flours,there are garbanzo bean (eew though),nut meals,spelt,etc.