What would you do in a zombie apocalypse?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

Living in a castle would certainly be interesting, and you'd be much more protected from the elements (a bonus).

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:45 am

My Gear list would be if I could loot it would be.

Police Riot Armor not full proof but it will slow them down from biting into your fleshy bits

Protective anti-chainsaw pants if a chainsaw can't bite through it neither can a zombie

Protective anti-chainsaw jacket if a chainsaw can't bite through it neither can a zombie

Bush axe (Guns and Chainsaws are too loud and would attract too many zombies.)

Kevlar Gloves
Kevlar protective sleeves
Ar-15 with scope and bipod sometimes you have to shoot your way out
Machete
Claw hammer
Sledge hammer
Small center punch for knocking car or store windows out
Pry bar
Gerber folding saw
Lots of strike anywhere matches (You might to set something or someone on fire) :wink:
lots of disposable lighters (Same as above)
Several flashlights
Ice pick or screwdriver for punching holes into gas tanks its quicker then siphoning it with a hose.
Multi tool
2 rolls of duct tape
I also know where some SCA guy lives who owns real chainmail armor along with swords and axes. Not those cheap replicas or knock offs. I do not like him and he is not armed with a firearm so I guess he would not object in me taking what I wanted.

Last edited by Todesking on 26 Apr 2011, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:07 am

Barhah harman hambargarz!

The year is still young.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 10:02 am

First things first - secure the family and then arm yourself. Assuming you are not already stock piling for 2012, most people have limited firepower at their immediate disposal. Most important - find a way to maintain distance. We happen to have various swords and spears as decor, most with razor sharp blades but most yard equipment is at least adequate for provide reach and whacking power. Flat edged shovels, bladed tools if you have them. Do not go outdoors unarmed. Guns are only useful if you are an excellent shot. Let's just hope all zombies conform to the Romero standard and need a head shot to be put out of commission.

You need to find a defendable location. Basically, get out of town. The industrial section of your town is a good first stop. Most warehouses are located here. Know where your local stores warehouses are. Most are enclosed with fences. Fences are good. You need to get to it, seal yourself in and clean house. Torch all bodies, secure your supplies, recruit other needy souls - as much as people go for the loner, every man for himself - you are safer in numbers. that doesn't mean trust them all - after all, you need them to improve security and improve your odds. People are going to whig out (because they are not mentally prepared for zombies...) and the more 'normal' you can make things for them, the more stable they will hopefully be. most people are social creatures. Play to that instinct!

Being in an industrial center, there shouldn't be a huge zombie threat. We have mile long warehouses for several major retailers near us. Hundreds of peopel could survive just fine for months in these. Remeber, the infrastructure will crash and burn fairly quickly in an epidemic. No electricity, no water. Use the frozen supplies first because after the power goes out - it's gone. Use the running water until the water goes off - save your bottled water. The worst scenario, nuclear power plants will not have the chance to shut down properly and will go unmanned, eventually melting down. Hopefully, you will have time to get yourself moved but honestly, the only realy hope will be underground shelter and radiation protection. It won't be 1 reactor going down it will be all of them, worldwide. You may need to make your way to Denver - not that the government will allow you into that massive shelter. Research all the defunct underground bases and former shelters that are now decommissioned. There are many around the country. Chances are you are within a state or two of one of these facilities. If you are overseas, the US has littered the globe with military bases. Find one! There are plenty of doomsday sites online with this information. Use the internet rabidly to gather information before it goes down.

Zombie - with any luck - will rot to the point of immobility. There is conjecture on how long this may take - in some scenarios, they never rot. That's just ludacris. When they rot to the point the muscles no longer function - they are much less of a threat. Even if contagion slows the decomp process it is highly unlikely that it will cease totally. No matter how cool it is, skeletons can't walk without muscles to move them. This isn't a movie - real life rules apply here! I'm betting on a solid two months. If you can last this long - you should be able to survive for the long haul.

(Awesome idea BTW! :D )

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm

I'd hole up in a lab. Find a cure for zombieness. Become the saviour of humanity. Go back to hiding from humanity.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:27 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Barhah harman hambargarz!

Urban Dead? I remember that.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

I would bring peace to Mankind and Zombiekind alike, by acting as a go-between with the two forces. And we will all hold hands under a rainbow, and we will teach them to be integrated back into society.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

*zombie sez: planzzzz werkd... weer innnnn... nomnomnomnom...*

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

I know this is meant to be a fun thread. I don't want to weigh it down with anything too heavy ... but, if anyone's really serious about this stuff (personally, there are times when I am and times when I'm not), go here: http://www.survivalblog.com/ It's the best site on the Internet for disaster preparedness. What to do, where to go, what to bring... It's shocking how poorly we are prepared for any kind of even minor interruption in our daily routines. :?

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

First off, Gainesville is not the place to be during a zombie outbreak. Big university = lots of brains. Big hospital = also lots of brains (in more ways than one, especially with the Brain Institute). This leaves evacuation at the primary goal. Fortunately UF has a plan in place

Evacuating by road is dangerous, and there will be a lot of traffic - so head for the airport. Most of it is fenced fairly well, which will slow down the zombies somewhat assuming airport is not already overrun. Since I know how to fly, any aircraft is fair game, . Start up engine as quickly as possible. Use caution as while propeller is great for chopping up zombies, the zombie guts will not be good for the engine and cause problems with weight and balance. Fly to safety.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:53 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
I know this is meant to be a fun thread. I don't want to weigh it down with anything too heavy ... but, if anyone's really serious about this stuff (personally, there are times when I am and times when I'm not), go here: http://www.survivalblog.com/ It's the best site on the Internet for disaster preparedness. What to do, where to go, what to bring... It's shocking how poorly we are prepared for any kind of even minor interruption in our daily routines. :?

The idea is so terrifying for many they can't even allow themselves to acknowledge the possibility.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:22 pm

draelynn wrote:
First things first - secure the family and then arm yourself. Assuming you are not already stock piling for 2012, most people have limited firepower at their immediate disposal. Most important - find a way to maintain distance. We happen to have various swords and spears as decor, most with razor sharp blades but most yard equipment is at least adequate for provide reach and whacking power. Flat edged shovels, bladed tools if you have them. Do not go outdoors unarmed. Guns are only useful if you are an excellent shot. Let's just hope all zombies conform to the Romero standard and need a head shot to be put out of commission.

You need to find a defendable location. Basically, get out of town. The industrial section of your town is a good first stop. Most warehouses are located here. Know where your local stores warehouses are. Most are enclosed with fences. Fences are good. You need to get to it, seal yourself in and clean house. Torch all bodies, secure your supplies, recruit other needy souls - as much as people go for the loner, every man for himself - you are safer in numbers. that doesn't mean trust them all - after all, you need them to improve security and improve your odds. People are going to whig out (because they are not mentally prepared for zombies...) and the more 'normal' you can make things for them, the more stable they will hopefully be. most people are social creatures. Play to that instinct!

Being in an industrial center, there shouldn't be a huge zombie threat. We have mile long warehouses for several major retailers near us. Hundreds of peopel could survive just fine for months in these. Remeber, the infrastructure will crash and burn fairly quickly in an epidemic. No electricity, no water. Use the frozen supplies first because after the power goes out - it's gone. Use the running water until the water goes off - save your bottled water. The worst scenario, nuclear power plants will not have the chance to shut down properly and will go unmanned, eventually melting down. Hopefully, you will have time to get yourself moved but honestly, the only realy hope will be underground shelter and radiation protection. It won't be 1 reactor going down it will be all of them, worldwide. You may need to make your way to Denver - not that the government will allow you into that massive shelter. Research all the defunct underground bases and former shelters that are now decommissioned. There are many around the country. Chances are you are within a state or two of one of these facilities. If you are overseas, the US has littered the globe with military bases. Find one! There are plenty of doomsday sites online with this information. Use the internet rabidly to gather information before it goes down.

Zombie - with any luck - will rot to the point of immobility. There is conjecture on how long this may take - in some scenarios, they never rot. That's just ludacris. When they rot to the point the muscles no longer function - they are much less of a threat. Even if contagion slows the decomp process it is highly unlikely that it will cease totally. No matter how cool it is, skeletons can't walk without muscles to move them. This isn't a movie - real life rules apply here! I'm betting on a solid two months. If you can last this long - you should be able to survive for the long haul.

8O Wow.. so well thought out. I think I'll abandon my idea and stick with you in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Of course, I have no idea where you live or how far away it is from me so I guess the minor hiccup of getting to where you are would have to be resolved first...

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:25 pm

WillMcC wrote:
Fortunately UF has a plan in place

:lmao: :lmao:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

RainingRoses wrote:

The article in this on food storage have been useful when we had the flood in Brisbane - the people living downstairs who didn't have anywhere to evacuate to had pretty much nothing to eat that didn't require cooking/refrigeration, so when the power was cut they were living off dry cereal 3 meals a day for several days. All the stoves in our complex are electricity powered.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:40 pm

draelynn wrote:

OMG! I think I'm in love!