Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 2:39 am

Do any of you suffer from this? I've dealt with it for over a decade. The only thing that seems to help me are things like Prilosec and Prevacid. Ginger seems to work well in short term cases, but I've not found any natural remedies that work long term. What has worked for you?

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2011, 2:42 am

I was born with a hiatus hernia, and I still have trouble with acid reflux. For me, I find the best thing is either lots of water or some kind of fromage frais. Failing that, just avoiding foods and drinks that set it off when it's particularly bad.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 3:35 am

idiocratik wrote:
Do any of you suffer from this? I've dealt with it for over a decade. The only thing that seems to help me are things like Prilosec and Prevacid. Ginger seems to work well in short term cases, but I've not found any natural remedies that work long term. What has worked for you?

If you are overweight, you should lose the weight. Avoid heavily spiced or seasoned food, greasy foods, processed baked items such as Chips Ahoy Cookies, and the likes. Avoid shelf meals such as Rice-A-Roni, Stove Top Stuffing and anything remotely similar, coffee, tea, smoking, cigarette, cigar or any other type of acrid smoke, pizza, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, lemonade.

You might also try Nexium

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:57 am

Chronos wrote:
idiocratik wrote:

If you are overweight, you should lose the weight. Avoid heavily spiced or seasoned food, greasy foods, processed baked items such as Chips Ahoy Cookies, and the likes. Avoid shelf meals such as Rice-A-Roni, Stove Top Stuffing and anything remotely similar, coffee, tea, smoking, cigarette, cigar or any other type of acrid smoke, pizza, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, lemonade.

You might also try Nexium

Well, I'm not overweight, so that's not the issue, but I do admit to succumbing to tasty Italian foods, and I LOVE my coffee and cigar in the morning.

Lemonade I can see being a factor in causing heartburn considering the concentrated amount of citric acid, but lemon water provides you with the alkaline that helps in neutralizing acids. Lemon water alone, though, certainly won't solve the problem.

I've not tried Nexium, but isn't it just another proton pump inhibitor like Prevacid?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 5:02 am

eating in a "grazing" manner in which i eat just enough to take the edge off my hunger for 3 hours or so, and not having anything spicy within 6 hours of sleeping. what worked even better, is tilting the whole bed roughly 10 degrees upwards at the head-end- before that, i was always conscious of my stomach pushing up against my esophagus.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm

Diet.

excessive protien intake or protien alergies [eg, gluten] can cause this problem. If it is getting worse as you age this could be a useful area of enquiry.

I have a moderate gluten intolerance, if I eat refined wheat in any quantity [especially if conbined with eggs or soy products] I sometimes get moderate reflux - very uncomfortable but avoidable.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Last edited by RedHanrahan on 01 May 2011, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 11:24 am

I have acid relux , I'll just take a tums

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 2:38 pm

I have hiatal hernia, hack and cough often for an hour after breakfast and lunch. I've found two things that work great for the related reflux - Nexium and Prilosec. Hopefully as I stay fit and really cut back and sugars and such to shrink my stomache it won't find the means to slide back up and my diaphragm will retighten correctly.

I developed the problem a little before my 25th birthday and saw that surgical options seemed to involve sleeving, what bothered me with either of the options, 360 or 270, where they bind you're esophagus to the sleeve which is attached the diaphragm - with either a full ring clamp or a 3/4 (270) clamp. It looks like its a procedure ripe for some rather dangerous injuries that could come in odd or unexpected ways, either if you get too much food going down or have the flu and have to bring things back up. Wouldn't resort to that unless the proton pump ihibitors stopped working.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 3:38 pm

I suffer from this, but have never been able to figure out why it is that I get it so much worse the earlier I wake up or with less sleep - my cure thus is simply not getting up in the morning - TADA! :D

I can't stomach ginger, especially not during a bad case of acid reflux in the morning, although licorice and fennel have always been helpful for me - papaya tablets are supposed to be good too but yet to try these. I've also found not drinking or eating anything just before bed and taking apple cider vinegar with meals sometimes helps me, also elevating the top half of my body helps too. The best thing that helped was when I quit smoking this helped a LOT.

Generally dietary changes are supposed to be the big cure however this requires too much effort for my liking - I'm going against what RedHanrahan said (no offence to RedHanrahan) as many sources suggest increasing protein (many people seem to suggest a protein powder shake before bed, preferably made with coconut milk), although it may be worth getting food allergy tests...being careful as many places that offer these are a load of BS. Avoid sugar, refined starches, spicy foods, tomato's etc. Go for smaller meals more often.

Chewing gum can help because it stimulates the production of more bicarbonate-containing saliva and increases the rate of swallowing, then after the saliva is swallowed, it neutralizes acid in the esophagus - but avoid peppermint gum as peppermint reduces the pressure in the lower esophageal sphincter so can add to the problem.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 6:33 pm

Sugar seems to cause it for me. Luckily I don't care much for it, but occasionally when I do have it, I suffer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:05 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I developed the problem a little before my 25th birthday and saw that surgical options seemed to involve sleeving, what bothered me with either of the options, 360 or 270, where they bind you're esophagus to the sleeve which is attached the diaphragm - with either a full ring clamp or a 3/4 (270) clamp. It looks like its a procedure ripe for some rather dangerous injuries that could come in odd or unexpected ways, either if you get too much food going down or have the flu and have to bring things back up. Wouldn't resort to that unless the proton pump ihibitors stopped working.

thanks for that info :o
i never had a clue the surgeries were that crude and brutal. 8O