Considering seeking diagnosis after all - eek

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2011, 8:41 am

Back in August, I posted about tentatively considering seeking a diagnosis.

My ultimate conclusion at that time (which I did not post) was to not seek a diagnosis for the following reasons:
-The point of a diagnosis is to enable you to get appropriate help in areas where you need it
-This is why the DSM has a criterion of 'causes significant impairment'; if it doesn't cause significant impairment, you don't need a diagnosis, and therefore don't qualify for one
-I believed I was doing fine without supports, and therefore didn't need a diagnosis and wouldn't qualify for one.

I am reconsidering this, after realizing that there is at least one thing I struggle with that I might be able to get assistance with if I had a diagnosis.

I have a lot of trouble with paperwork. It confuses and intimidates me, and I tend to not do it unless it's absolutely necessary; even when it is absolutely necessary, I have trouble. I often call my father for help in how to fill it out.

I have gotten myself into a backlog of un-done paperwork that I think it will be hard to get out of. There is paperwork that I will need to fill out in probably about 6 months in order to receive pay. In order to fill out that paperwork, there are several previous layers of paperwork that I need to fill out first. This partly involves doing taxes paperwork, and some related paperwork due to being an international student in the US. (I'm Canadian).

I have been wishing and wishing I had someone to help me with this paperwork - whether someone who could do it for me, or someone who could guide me through the process. If my father lived in town, he would probably help me with it, but it's hard for him to do that from another city. I have been thinking about other places I could turn for help, but have been unsure.

Then I saw on this thread that Callista said:

Quote:
If you have trouble figuring out the system, I would highly suggest getting a case worker. These are usually social workers available through referral from mental health agencies, etc., and can help you with everything from paying bills to navigating the job market to getting SSI paperwork filled out.

That sounds very much like what I've been wishing for for someone to help me with paperwork. Except to get access to one, I would probably have to have a diagnosis.

I'm still unsure whether I qualify for a diagnosis, but the fact that I see a clear problem that I need help with makes me think it's more likely than I thought it was before.

I'm planning to talk to someone at my university's disability services office today. I think I'll ask them both about the possibility of getting a diagnosis and whether it could get me such services, and whether they know of any relevant resources I might be able to use without being diagnosed.

I'm kind of nervous about asking for a diagnosis. Though at least I have now talked to both of my parents about the possibility that I'm autistic, and they've responded well even if they don't think I'm likely to be clinically autistic, so if the diagnostic process requires them to give information about my childhood, that's not too too scary.

I think I'm nervous that I'll be told "no, you're not diagnosably on the autism spectrum". I'm not sure why that should make me nervous; if I think it's likely that I'm not diagnosable, why should I be nervous of being told so officially? But it seems to be true.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:58 am

I have trouble filling out paperwork too. It has caused so many missed opportunities for me and in total pretty much does me in functioning-wise.

If I were you I'd pursue a diagnosis. "Worst" case, you don't receive a diagnosis of being on the spectrum, but in any case your lack of ability to do paperwork will probably be addressed in some form - maybe you have ADHD or something.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

Well, I went to the Disability Services office at my university, and they gave recommendations for doctors in the area that I could go to for diagnosis, with one particularly recommended for adults seeking Asperger's diagnosis (but I'm not sure if he takes the university health insurance), and two others that do take the university health insurance.

I'm not sure yet if I'll have the courage to contact them.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:49 pm

No need to be nervous! I can understand being nervous, but when it comes down to it, you are you and no label or non-label changes that. If you need help with some things and an Asperger's diagnosis could help, you may as well get assessed. Even if you're not deemed autistic, you could still have a lot of autistic traits but not qualify for the label because of not technically fulfilling all the diagnostic criteria, which is pretty subjective if you ask me anyway. Anyway, yes, don't be nervous if you can help it! :D

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2011, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I just finished talking to my friend G about possibly seeking a diagnosis and my reasons for doing so, and he thought it was a sensible idea, and that was also encouraging. I probably will be a bit nervous until the process is over, but I think I can and will do this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:46 pm

I'd also be freaked out by all the paper work and the red tape.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 8:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd also be freaked out by all the paper work and the red tape.

Hmm... Yeah. I hadn't really thought about the paperwork that would be involved in getting a diagnosis and services, aside from "they'll ask me to fill out self-descriptive tests to which, as usual, I can't decide which answer fits me."

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

I knew for ever that i was different from others. I never really knew why. Even as i kicked the idea around in my head that hey maybe i have autism. It was in the process of diagnosing myself and having that diagnosis whole heartedly confirmed has made an enormous differnce for me. In many ways it was like having an incredable burdon lifted. Its not because i am worthless or undesireable, its not because i was a thoughtless as*hole its because i am an Aspie.
In all honesty that one piece of knowledge has done more to heal me than 20years of therapy.

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2011, 4:20 pm

joestenr wrote:
I knew for ever that i was different from others. I never really knew why. Even as i kicked the idea around in my head that hey maybe i have autism. It was in the process of diagnosing myself and having that diagnosis whole heartedly confirmed has made an enormous differnce for me. In many ways it was like having an incredable burdon lifted. Its not because i am worthless or undesireable, its not because i was a thoughtless as*hole its because i am an Aspie.
In all honesty that one piece of knowledge has done more to heal me than 20years of therapy.

Where I am stuck on is "self diagnosing". I've been researching disorders and conditions for years trying to figure out what is wrong with me and finally found Aspergers and it was like someone turned a light on, I really cannot see anything else fitting me so perfectly. The issue is I just can't come to self diagnosis, I don't feel it's legitimate even if it as clear as a day. I'm very black and white and need a professional to confirm my own "diagnosis" otherwise I feel it is illegitimate to claim myself to be Aspie. Thoughts?

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2011, 1:10 pm

Hi jcq126. Sorry for the delay in replying. I was kind of hoping that someone else would reply, but since no one has, here are my thoughts.

There are a variety of opinions about self-diagnosing, which I'm sure you will see if you stick around WrongPlanet long. Personally, I have no problem with people self-diagnosing, especially if they can see that they really clearly fit the criteria. There is a chance of being wrong - but there is a chance of professional diagnosis (of autism, or of something else, or of not being diagnosable at all) being wrong too - there are lots of stories on here of people being misdiagnosed or denied diagnosis for totally invalid reasons. I have hesitated to fully self-diagnose because it's not really clear to me whether I fit the criteria, but there are many people who clearly see themselves as fitting the criteria, and I generally see no reason to question their evaluation.

I believe several respectable professionals who have considerable experience with diagnosing autism/Asperger's have noted that most people who self-diagnose as being on the autism spectrum are in fact correct, especially when their self-assessment is confirmed by others who are knowledgeable, even if not professionals. I believe Tony Attwood uses the phrase "self-diagnosed and peer-confirmed". (I think of myself as almost the reverse: friend-diagnosed and self-accepted, or something like that.)

I personally would not seek a diagnosis just to know; I would only do so if I a diagnosis might help me in a concrete way. But I know there are many people who have gotten diagnosed for the peace of mind it gives them in being able to say "yes, I am autistic" and no longer having to wonder "maybe I am, but maybe not". I think that is a reasonable motivation to get assessed.