Do I tell about my AS and social anxiety disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

spac
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

If I think I'm going to have problems at a new job (well I haven't gotten it yet), should I tell my boss I have AS and/or social anxiety disorder? I wouldn't want to get fired because the boss thinks I'm weird and can't handle the job. I also worry that I may have a panic attack everyday for the first week. But when I have panic attacks, usually no one can notice them because I'm so good at hiding them. They might just think I'm acting a little odd though. I feel like if I just tell my boss that I have AS and/or social anxiety disorder that they'll be willing to cut me some slack for a while or be a little bit more accommodating. I just don't know if I could survive the first week or even the first day of any job. If I tell the truth, maybe things would be easier for me.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Merit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm

If you are asking whether you should put your diagnosis of A.D. on your resume? Don't. It'll keep you from getting a job. Once you have the job and are going to be working, if it matters and you are expecting issues to arise, it would be best to take your boss into a corner of the room (it needs to be a private discussion) and explain. Keep it contained, it should be discussed with your boss before any coworkers. Definitely explain when/if you do this about how you may have panic attacks in the first weeks, let them know of the signs of a panic attack and let them know that you may have to take a break. However, stress greatly that these will pass, as they are only you getting used to the new environment.

Best of luck.

http://push-me-further.blogspot.com/

rissadc

27 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

I'm starting a new job at a grocery store today...... I feel the same way. The first week is usually intense, I get nauseous when i get anxiety. My social anxiety has gotten worse in the last year!

Muffy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

Hi, I just started a new job as a server for elderly people on Monday . The first two days were fine, but today I had a panic attack & I was holding back tears my whole shift. I was very close to just walking out,, but I used some coping skills & got through. When my shift was over my supervisor had to stay with me until my ride came because i'm not 18 yet, she asked me if I liked the job, I was honest said no & then I started crying!! !! That's when I told her I was overwhelmed & I was just diagnosed with Social Anxiety, she was very nice & understood. She also works with kids like me & said I should have said something sooner, now I feel better & work won't be so hard because someone knows. I think you should be honest so you can have some support & feel better about your situation :)

Whispering
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

to tell or not to tell

it depends on your age. if you are a minor, like Muffy, then you will probably find more support and compassion with regard to your needs. If you are legally an adult, and will be placed in highly social situations I would recommend attempting to find other employment which might be more suitable for your personality and needs.

If on the other hand, you believe this job might be the best for you, then I wouldn't say anything about the social anxiety or AS. The reason for the lack of transparency is that you too need to work. The employer may not higher you because they would be considering the employment a potential risk of things not working out. Even a potential risk to an employer is a signal to look elsewhere for an employee.

I recommend that if offered the job, say yes. Be sure that you have someone you can call via your cellphone 2 to 3 times during an 8hour shift on your breaks only. This will allow you to "check in with someone for support". Always try to be polite but don't reveal too much about yourself. I'm speaking from my many mistakes in the past.

Best wishes