Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 10:58 am

I've recently ran into a list of characteristics of AS and noticed that one of them was "disliking creative story writing at school". I was surprised at that because these were actually my favourite assignments to do. I've really enjoyed having to write a story on any topic I liked. It's the essays that had to be on a specific topic that I really disliked doing. I am a creative person and I enjoy writing something where my thoughts are not bound to take a pre-defined direction.

Anyone else actually LIKED creative short story writing in school?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Apr 2011, 11:12 am

Creative writing was how I made most of my money.

I can't do it very well without medication, though. No focus. I did do okay at school, though, although I didn't really do much creative writing in a classroom until my first try at college.

Last edited by Verdandi on 28 Apr 2011, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

That was almost the only part of school I did like. Since we are not all exactly alike, my own theory is that there is a large group of people who are logical and drawn to programming and so on who come to seem "typical" of AS, and that those of us who are more creative are a more unusual variant of how AS can shape the mind.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

I have a love-hate relationship with it. My imagination is often rubbish, but sometimes it isn't and I can start something and then really get into it.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

I enjoyed writing creative stories in school, but I was no good. My teachers told me that I waffled and that I wasn't good at writing for an audience. One teacher said that my stories were unique. That might be a good thing...

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:33 am

I love writing.

I love creative writing.

I hated creative writing in school. A lot of them were short, abstract prompts, with not enough concrete information in the assignment. I'd then get in trouble for "not following" the assignment if I wrote in a completely different way then they "expected from me".

Like an assignment would be "create a hero of your own will". And I wrote an anti hero, hero's don't exist, no such thing as self altriusm blah blah. Teacher told me I did it wrong.

And went along to show me what other kids did. About how they wrote about a firefighter or wrote about superhero.

Then don't tell me in the assignment to create a hero or write about what I think a hero is. Cause I can take the mutliple ways. They didn't say write the norm view of a hero or write a good hero.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 1:06 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
I love writing.

I love creative writing.

I hated creative writing in school. A lot of them were short, abstract prompts, with not enough concrete information in the assignment. I'd then get in trouble for "not following" the assignment if I wrote in a completely different way then they "expected from me".

Like an assignment would be "create a hero of your own will". And I wrote an anti hero, hero's don't exist, no such thing as self altriusm blah blah. Teacher told me I did it wrong.

And went along to show me what other kids did. About how they wrote about a firefighter or wrote about superhero.

Then don't tell me in the assignment to create a hero or write about what I think a hero is. Cause I can take the mutliple ways. They didn't say write the norm view of a hero or write a good hero.

I endured a lot of dreadful teachers - but I didn't seem to get any of them in classes where we had to do creative writing. As far as I'm concerned, if you fail to state your expectations clearly, that's your fault, not mine. And the nicest thing I would have done to any teacher who treated me that way would have been to write a - non-assigned :wink: - parody of them that would have amused everyone else. Since anyone with enough of a sense of humour to laugh at themselves doesn't tend to draw down that kind of wrath, they wouldn't have been laughing at all.

As it was, I once wrote a serial story for my high school paper in which I lampooned a few of the more irritating teachers in general. I got a lot of praise for that story - and certain teachers learned it was safer to just leave me alone. :lol:

I did have a few teachers who liked to question things I'd written, and argue their own point of view, but I didn't mind that as long as they were fair about it. I once convinced a teacher to give me the name and address of the company that printed the "approved" answers to a certain worksheet, so I could make my case that my answer was a more logical one. They didn't answer me, of course; they probably thought it was beneath them to listen to a kid in junior high school. But I respected the teacher for being willing to listen and consider my arguments - and, by the way, she was my English teacher that year. I tended to be pretty lucky when it came to English teachers. I had one who told his class right out, we could write anything we chose, as long as we could make a decent case for what we were saying.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 1:16 pm

theWanderer wrote:
I endured a lot of dreadful teachers - but I didn't seem to get any of them in classes where we had to do creative writing. As far as I'm concerned, if you fail to state your expectations clearly, that's your fault, not mine. And the nicest thing I would have done to any teacher who treated me that way would have been to write a - non-assigned :wink: - parody of them that would have amused everyone else. Since anyone with enough of a sense of humour to laugh at themselves doesn't tend to draw down that kind of wrath, they wouldn't have been laughing at all.

I ended up being very naughty. Because I was not lucky with teachers, a lot of them wanted me to conform or thought there was something seriously wrong with me mentally I ended up rebelling.

I'd purposely twist the assignments logic around on them. They couldn't refute me, because logically it made sense. They tried once or try to work around me but I always ended up twisting their words on them.

robertyknwt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2011, 1:17 pm

I did OK with creative writing. But when I've tried to write fiction, it tends to suck.

OTOH, with non-fiction (i.e. reports at work, papers, articles), I write very well.

So, in my case, I think it's something like "I'm a good writer, but a lousy creator of stories." I suspect many on the spectrum share that latter trait, and that those who've posted above me are glorious exceptions, but I'd gladly welcome correction on this. :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 2:10 pm

I suck at creative writing. It tends to just be a compilation of every thought that goes through my head at the time without any meaning at all.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

Quote:
I suspect many on the spectrum share that latter trait, and that those who've posted above me are glorious exceptions, but I'd gladly welcome correction on this.

Well, common sense Stats suggests you're the exception, but then again, common sense generally tends to be wrong - you have to be somewhat interested in creative writing, probably, to open the thread...

Anyway, I quite like it. It gives me somewhere to write down my escapist fantasies. 8) It helps that my writing isn't bad quality.

Oh, and it's cheaper when someone's birthday comes up, and more personalised... :wink:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 4:58 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
I love writing.

I love creative writing.

I got lucky in that my teachers tended to be pretty carefree. With both short stories I did, the assignment was simply to write a short story that was within a certain length. I have no problem thinking up a really simple plot - it's the more complex plots that I have trouble with. But yes, writing fiction is my thing... I am horrible at math and science, but brilliant at creative things. I would say that my tendency to think creatively actually hinders my ability to adhere to rigid rules and instructions. I can just visualize a story in my head just as I can visualize a painting or make up a piece of music. That's why school is a pain for me :x

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

I am more visually creative. The minute I was asked to write a short story my mind would suddenly empty of all thought. In fact I have never known my brain be so darn quiet! Never mind meditation to quieten down the chatter just ask me to write a piece of fiction. I was better at writing essays or factual articles. My English teacher wanted me to be a journalist and spent a vast amount of time trying to convince me to talk to a journalist friend of hers about it.

Unfortunately since then my English skills have gotten a bit lazy and I spend a lot of time being attacked by the typo fairy (cousin of the sock fairy and who rearranges my letters after I hit send...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...my typing skill is irrelevant lol)...besides my interest lies mostly in either psychology or arts and crafts these days (or rather cross stitching and sequin art although I am thinking about trying my hand at painting with acrylics too).

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2011, 7:21 pm

I only love creative writing if I can write whatever the heck I want.
In school, they're too specific and give you subjects that are too realistic or personal.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 7:52 pm

I love creative writing, when I can feel it... it's a great joy in life to be creative and expressive.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 8:01 pm

I love creative writing!

Unfortunately, I feel a sense of contempt towrd those who like my work, mainly because I write to the common denominator, instead of being "artsy".

... mneh ... it helps pay the bills ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.