Odds of getting food poisoning from this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

Hey all,

Today, I ate a (frozen) orange chicken meal from Trader Joe's. The only problem was, I looked the cooking time and set it too low. It was for 18 minutes; I put it in for about 13 >.<. Now I am worried that the chicken will give me salmonella/food poisoning! When I cut open the middle of one, it had a pink tinge to it, but it wasn't really totally raw. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks!

Mutanatia

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 6:04 pm

Did it feel raw while you were eating it? I'd watch how you feel for the next 1-3 days (not sure how long salmonella takes to set in) and call a doctor.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 6:08 pm

If the inside of chicken was visibly pink at all, then you've got something to worry about. It isn't a guarantee you'll get food poisoning, of course, since there is some chicken that escapes contamination even with the appalling conditions during processing, but if you start to feel odd, you will want to do something about it sooner rather than later.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 6:08 pm

As far I can tell, it was cooked enough so that it didn't feel chewy or disgusting or anything like that. IT also wasn't cold in the center. Does that help?

Like I said, when it was frozen, it had a slight tinge of pink of it, but even parts in the center (While frozen) looked cooked.

Does that help any? >.>

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 6:38 pm

Mutanatia wrote:
As far I can tell, it was cooked enough so that it didn't feel chewy or disgusting or anything like that. IT also wasn't cold in the center. Does that help?

Like I said, when it was frozen, it had a slight tinge of pink of it, but even parts in the center (While frozen) looked cooked.

Does that help any? >.>

Unless it was warm enough in the center, any bacteria or viruses it was contaminated with - if it was contaminated, as a significant percentage of commercially available chicken is - would not have been killed. If they weren't killed, they're still alive inside you.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

If its been four to six hours since you ate it and you aren't having any symptoms like nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc, you're most likely fine. If you do feel bad, go to the nearest ER and tell them what happened. Don't psyche yourself out about it.

Judging from the cooking time you post, I'm guessing you cooked it in a microwave, so if the heat didn't kill all the bacteria, the radiation probably did. Besides, most frozen meals are at least partially pre-cooked before packaging. I went through something similar with a frozen chicken breast about a month ago and I'm not dead yet.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

Actually, it was in the microwave oven. 450º for 13 minutes instead of 18-20. And yeah, I'm not feeling anything that I usually don't feel. Other than the fact that my head feels very warm because I'm worried >.>