Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 8:39 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Absolutely. Its a natural stage of evolution, and is the only way we can ensure the security of our genetic destiny- keeping all our eggs in one basket (Earth) will inevitably result in our extinction

So you don't believe in a religion I take it....? Not to offend you, but I think and feel that there will be a 2nd coming and the earth will be cleansed and made into the celestial kingdom. Your prospect is that we will move onto the planets into the solar system? What if we don't forward science along fast enough and we become extinct on those planets anyways? Or what if we end up killing everyone ourselves in the end?

I'm an Atheist yes. But there are many Christians who also think about the future in this way (along with other religions). I think of it as our evolutionary objective & destiny to spread biology and ourselves throughout the universe. As a Christian, one could see it as spreading God's creation to places that haven't yet been blessed with it. Or maybe, the idea of terraforming worlds and creating ecology where there was none will become an entirely new religion itself
Its better to try and spread ourselves than to just die out in one place and go the way of the Dinosaurs. And living on just one planet makes it all the more likely that we can all die out- but if we are spread, then we can always endure

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I'm an Atheist yes. But there are many Christians who also think about the future in this way (along with other religions). I think of it as our evolutionary objective & destiny to spread biology and ourselves throughout the universe. As a Christian, one could see it as spreading God's creation to places that haven't yet been blessed with it. Or maybe, the idea of terraforming worlds and creating ecology where there was none will become an entirely new religion itself
Its better to try and spread ourselves than to just die out in one place and go the way of the Dinosaurs. And living on just one planet makes it all the more likely that we can all die out- but if we are spread, then we can always endure

Ok, I was just guessing. Really? I've never heard of otter christians thinking this way. My religion specifically believes in a 2nd coming and a resurrection, and many other ones, I've heard, believe in a rapture or something like that. Have you ever read "Out of the silent Planet"? You should, it is by C.S. Lewis, an amazing read, and it will change your mind about that, or at least make you think about spreading our "seed" everywhere. Hm, I've never thought about it being a new category of religion. Interesting. Yea, I guess I could see your point in that, nevertheless, I see it as inevitable. Plus, for all the good things that new worlds bring, there are more challenges to face: diseases, other life forms, ecosystems, atmospheres, food+water acquisition, energy sources, etc, etc. We are still trying to figure out all that stuff for the planet we are already on, why should we start from square one on a different planet?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

Personally I don't believe in the Rapture or those end times stories. Especially if it encourages not thinking to the future- I think it was Martin Luther who wrote 'I live like tomorrow is the last day, but I still plant apple trees' or something like that. The likelihood that we encounter alien organisms is small though. I have more in mind that we take Earth organisms and seed them elsewhere, and work to make more Earths. Likely if we find planets that already have life, we won't be compatible with them at all, and will have to look elsewhere. And I also wouldn't want to disturb their natural progression.

There are planets that are ripe for this process (terraforming) Mars being one of them. There are close to 2,000 planets just in the nearby neighborhood that we have discovered (1,500 just in the past year!) and they estimate that there could be upwards of a billion habitable planets out there (habitable meaning they don't have life but could host our ecology). There is also a good chance that there is other life out there, but the galaxy is so big (100,000 light years across) that we may never encounter them.

At most I expect we'll find alien bacteria or plants, or maybe primitive animals (non-sentient) life- on planets where we find these, I strongly suspect we'll leave them alone and just study them. But there is something called the Drake Equation that estimates there could be as many as 10,000 civilizations in our galaxy alone. That still leaves a lot of room for us all to not get in each others way, as the galaxy has billions upon billions of solar systems

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 9:27 pm

I should have been born in Montreal, Canada 22 years ago. :(

;)

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 9:35 pm

I often feel I should have been born in more liberal, socially-advanced areas of the world, such as the northeast region of the United States or western Europe.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 9:38 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
How tall are you?

Six freaking feet. (my picture is in the "Get to know each other" forum).

PM
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 10:14 pm

Preferably somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line. If I was born In the northern part of the US , I would not have to deal with rednecks, in-your-face Christians, or the heat.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 May 2011, 12:26 am

I should of been born centuries in the future when we have technology that can treat or cure my disabilities. Or I should of been born on the planet Vulcan because they the3y are direct & not social

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 3:00 am

Yes, they do have lovely hats, but remember the Big Book of British Smiles. Wear hats where you are at, you will be happier.

chrissyrun wrote:
Where or when should you have been born and why?

I should have been born in england because they get to wear awesome outlandish fancy hats.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:22 am

chrissyrun wrote:
Indy wrote:
wouldn't have far to travel to get there

But isn't the joy in the journey?

It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.
Stephen Fry

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:06 am

I should've been born in the late middle ages into the high nobility.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:14 am

In an expedition to homestead a new planet, in the far future when they have the technology to deal with my disabilities. :D

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:20 am

i was born.. yes, i definitely should've been born :)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 12:55 pm

Esther wrote:
I should have been born in Montreal, Canada 22 years ago. :(

;)

aww :lol: I`m still yours forever, love :heart:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:42 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Personally I don't believe in the Rapture or those end times stories. Especially if it encourages not thinking to the future- I think it was Martin Luther who wrote 'I live like tomorrow is the last day, but I still plant apple trees' or something like that. The likelihood that we encounter alien organisms is small though. I have more in mind that we take Earth organisms and seed them elsewhere, and work to make more Earths. Likely if we find planets that already have life, we won't be compatible with them at all, and will have to look elsewhere. And I also wouldn't want to disturb their natural progression.

There are planets that are ripe for this process (terraforming) Mars being one of them. There are close to 2,000 planets just in the nearby neighborhood that we have discovered (1,500 just in the past year!) and they estimate that there could be upwards of a billion habitable planets out there (habitable meaning they don't have life but could host our ecology). There is also a good chance that there is other life out there, but the galaxy is so big (100,000 light years across) that we may never encounter them.

At most I expect we'll find alien bacteria or plants, or maybe primitive animals (non-sentient) life- on planets where we find these, I strongly suspect we'll leave them alone and just study them. But there is something called the Drake Equation that estimates there could be as many as 10,000 civilizations in our galaxy alone. That still leaves a lot of room for us all to not get in each others way, as the galaxy has billions upon billions of solar systems

Just because they think of the rapture means that people stop thinking about the future. In fact, wouldn't it make people what to make the most of the time that they have left. But I see what you are saying how it could impact science. I agree with the Martain Luther King quote. Seriously dude, you need to read out of the silent planet, it discusses those sort of things. I don't know that much about astronomy, so I am not going to try and fight it out on that, but I really want you to think about all the problems that earth has, and how we could overcome those with other planets.

Descartes wrote:
I often feel I should have been born in more liberal, socially-advanced areas of the world, such as the northeast region of the United States or western Europe.

Hey, texas isn't that bad of a place to live in the US! My cousins live there! At least you don't live in AZ though.

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
Six freaking feet.

That isn;t that tall. I know guys who are 6'2" and still aren't the tallest ones.
Anyways, I'm 5'7", so you are only 5 inches taller than me....that's not that much.

PM wrote:

Preferably somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line. If I was born In the northern part of the US , I would not have to deal with rednecks, in-your-face Christians, or the heat.

Interesting. So you are liberal I presume (following the lines of that u=you hate "in-your-face-christians" and rednecks). Also, I have to deal with the heat, that's why I am going to a different state for college (yay!)

nick007 wrote:
should of been born centuries in the future when we have technology that can treat or cure my disabilities. Or I should of been born on the planet Vulcan because they the3y are direct & not social

And the most creative response goes to....
Don't we all wish that we weren't born with AS?

billybud21 wrote:
Yes, they do have lovely hats, but remember the Big Book of British Smiles. Wear hats where you are at, you will be happier.

HUH? Idk what you are talking about.

Indy wrote:
It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.
Stephen Fry

That is one of the most awesome quotes ever. :)

Subotai wrote:
I should've been born in the late middle ages into the high nobility.

Interesting. But what if you got sick or caught the plague?

Fudo wrote:
i was born.. yes, i definitely should've been born

Should you have? Jk, you should've.....unfortunately it didn't happen....bye bye. :wink:

Esther wrote:
I should have been born in Montreal, Canada 22 years ago

Vigilans wrote:
aww I`m still yours forever, love

You 2 are adorable. Awwwwwwwwwww. Esther = :pr: :heart: :pl:= Vigilans

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:50 pm

I should have been born 10 years later and further down South where it's more affluent.
Basically I want my twenties back, and I want to be in a position where I didn't have to suffer my twenties.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.