Unemployment rate among ASD adults

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lammiu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2014, 6:40 am

I think the unemployment rate quoted 80% is a bit high, due to the fact that 40-69% of the ASD are mentally ret*d. I'm in an adult ASD with normal IQ career skills training course in Hong Kong, 8 out of 12 of us had full time job, 1 had part-time job. I would say 1/3 who are employable don't have full time jobs, but those with full time jobs also struggles with social deficits at work.

The bible says, "God purposely chose... what the world considers weak in order to shame the powerful." Your weaknesses are not an accident. God deliberately allowed them in your life for the purpose of demonstrati

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:51 am

I am still at college but I am already very scared of jobs. I fear I will end up underemployed. 1- I think I wouldn't be able to show the interviewers and employers how good I am, 2- I think it is going to be hard mostly because of anxiety and sensory overloading and social skills and executive function deficit. I am pretty sure they could think I am dumb or something like that when I don't understand the orders.
I am soo afraid. I don't even know what I should study at college. Currently I am studying law, but I don't know if lawyer would be a good fit, and international relations, to be a academic.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 1:23 am

linatet wrote:
I am still at college but I am already very scared of jobs. I fear I will end up underemployed. 1- I think I wouldn't be able to show the interviewers and employers how good I am, 2- I think it is going to be hard mostly because of anxiety and sensory overloading and social skills and executive function deficit. I am pretty sure they could think I am dumb or something like that when I don't understand the orders.
I am soo afraid. I don't even know what I should study at college. Currently I am studying law, but I don't know if lawyer would be a good fit, and international relations, to be a academic.

Trail lawyer would be scary (although the acting skills you learned trying to be NT should be helpful :lol: ) but being a person who does their research, writes their briefs and analysis etc would be good for you. While the extrovert is out getting all the press you are noticing the detail he or she misses that wins the case.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman