Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you feel lonely without social interaction with peers?
yes 60%  60%  [ 94 ]
no 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
family interaction is enough 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
other (please specify) 9%  9%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 156

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 4:27 am

I'm an introvert, and can be content with long stretches of near-isolation (since I'm married and he's home most nights, I'm not completely alone, but we both like a lot of "me time"). However, I almost never turn down the chance to get out and hang with friends. I'm more comfortable with small groups, but I can usually find someone to hang out with and have a good time with even in a large gathering. What I don't like is going to bar where I know things are going to be loud. I don't like loud noise and I really dislike having to shout to be heard. When my husband and I do go someplace loud, we always leave early (he's not fond of really loud places either).

There have been times in my life when I outgrew one set of friends and had trouble making new friends. During those times, I spent a lot of time reading, writing, and playing on my computer. My parents worried about me, but I was perfectly happy. I always made new friends eventually; I've never felt sad for the Rose that didn't have friends. I have great friends now -- funny, quirky, caring, creative. I'm not close to many people -- I tend to maintain distance intentionally -- but I have a few close friends. I'm happiest with a lot of acquaintances and a few very close friends, and I have that. Sure, there are plenty of weekend nights I stay home and relax, but just as many times when I hit up two or three parties a night! I can be very social when the atmosphere is right. (I know my limitations... for example I am not funny and should not try to be!) I think I've hit a good balance for me; since I'm equally happy on my own or with people around, I picked "other."

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:04 pm

A definite yes. The thought of going days without interaction is just awful...

Jordan87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2011, 4:54 am

Moopants wrote:
I wondered if perhaps this was more of a female trait as in gen. discussion etc guys seem to say they're happy not having social life, friends etc.

I am really bloody lonely. I don't want complete isolation.

Its not that I don't want friends. Its not even that I can't meet new people. It's that I am unable to continue friendships beyond the introductory phases and I have absolutely no idea why.

I know hundreds of people but not one of them I would consider a proper friend. They never make effort with me, I wouldn't trust them with personal information, they wouldnt be interested anyway. It all seems so superficial with them. They are all outwith mainstream society in one way or another. When I had my child they just cut all contact. They weren't the parenting types.

I've read extensively on group dynamics and friendship but academic research doesn't really manifest well in real life.

My family ask if its because I'm boring because I like talk about complex things (science, politics etc) or perhaps things they're not interested in and pmaybe that's my problem socially. I don't have odd interests just not very social ones and almost-social things like knitting I can't do and chat at the same time.

Where I am, alcohol is the biggest hobby. I dont mind being in pubs and prefer drunk people to sober people so its not a dislike of the culture.

I spent my lifetime worried it was because I didn't drink alcohol and that put people off. I've worried that I was just a generally unlikeable person. I always stop at the last theory because I cant see what else it could be.

I certainly don't whine like this in real life.

Regardless, I'm still lonely and I'm told that if you have AS you shouldn't be lonely as social interaction isn't that important.

Does this mean the diagnosis will be wrong then? Maybe I don't have social problems at all and I am just a horrible person that noone could ever like.

I guess it would be nice for one of my many acquaintances to make the effort occasionally.

Am I alone in thinking this way?

As a guy with AS (If I'm welcome offering my male viewpoint in a thread that's been dominated by women. Understandably so, as this sub-forum is geared towards women. Not sure how I gleaned that sagely knowledge; I think the "Women's Discussion" part may have tipped me off.), I can tell you that the idea that we don't need social interaction is garbage, speaking from my own experience. Sure, I'm comfortable going without social interaction for a considerable length of time and I'd choose to be a hermit much sooner than I'd try and be an extrovert (and fail miserably), but I'm still a human being and thus, a social creature, even though I'm not inclined to be as social as NTs. Therefore I sometimes still desire love, an outlet to share my interests and opinions, friends (for a variety of reasons. To share my interests with, to support and be supported by, to curtail my loneliness and so on) etc, and when I go without those things for whatever reason, I often get lonely and depressed. Not all the time or even most of the time, but I definitely do, and when I get hit by those feelings, I get hit pretty hard.

That's not something most people, whether they are men or women, NT or Autistic, are able to transcend entirely and frankly, I think it's probably ultimately more good than it is bad, in spite of the suffering it may cause, because it makes the meaningful connections we do come to develop with friends and significant others all the better, having experienced what it felt like to go without them. Richard Nixon was a corrupt jerk, but if there's one thing he got right, it's when he said this:

“Only if you have been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.”

**Edited for some slight rephrasing**

Last edited by Jordan87 on 02 Jun 2011, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

I would LOVE complete isolation. Just me and the nature, and the world would forget all about me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

I used to get incredibly lonely, but there would be long periods in between where I was perfectly content with my own company. I would even get resentful if people wanted my time or company. Being in a relationship helped with that, but I still crave something more; female friends maybe?

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2011, 4:57 pm

I miss my boyfriend terribly because he had to move abroad to get work. I miss my best friend and the company of my other friends who are less close but still good company. My social skills have improved and I no longer have social phobia but I just cannot fit in the time. My mind gets way too easily overwhelmed for me to cope with everything involved in life - house chores, running errands, college, work and social life... I can't seem to meet with people enough. I also can't seem to get enough work to save enough money to go do social activities with people, or even visit my boyfriend, even though I've tried as hard as I can. I get so down about being by myself and not having someone to have fun with and take my mind off things. I like being alone but I depend on it far too much and it doesn't make me happy. My sisters no longer speak to me since my diagnosis and I'm a bit distant with my father as he's a farmer and constantly busy. My brother and I never really had a relationship as he spent our entire childhood and teenage years abusing me. My mother is nice to me when she's in a good mood and unbelievably mean to me when she has her tempers, and never apologises or shows any regret for her nasty behaviour no matter how bad it gets. This is the first summer I am going to be staying in the city where I go to college instead of in the beautiful countryside where I grew up, because I cannot be happy at home under my parents' roof living in their way by their rules and dealing with their noise etc. I can't deal with being around people - but I can't cope with being alone either. I just can't figure this one out!

mellisamouse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2011, 1:22 am

Idont usually feel too lonley during the day, but I do at night if I am single. But allways felt lonley in ways because I cannot connect with normal people....Now, with an Aspie boyfriend I find I feel lonley for HIM cause he is allways sucked into his video games so I feel a bit neglected at times... :(

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

mellisamouse wrote:
Idont usually feel too lonley during the day, but I do at night if I am single. But allways felt lonley in ways because I cannot connect with normal people....Now, with an Aspie boyfriend I find I feel lonley for HIM cause he is allways sucked into his video games so I feel a bit neglected at times... :(

I go through this with my Aspie boyfriend. We recently had a talk about it because I would miss him while he was at work all day. And the first thing he would do upon coming home, was to get on his computer to play games and stuff. Now he gives me some time before he gets on the computer. :)

arrtgrrl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2011, 5:09 am

I feel lonely a lot because I dont feel very comfortable around people.. I wish did.. i would like to have friends.. but i have never been able to do the typical friends things.. i just feel uncomfortable.. or i can do it for awhile.. and then get really overwhelmed and have to withdraw for ages..
Most of the time its easier to avoid everyone so i dont get really anxious and stressed... but that just increases the loneliness...

Naomi

peacerunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

if i was in a relationship, living with a guy i loved, i could be alone for hours and not feel lonely.
if i am not in a relationship, living alone, I feel quite lonely and the alone time is not as nice.

not that i am not a complete person alone and fulfilled, etc, but i prefer a shared life.

silbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

I am really alone... I don't have friends, even a friend. I talk only with my parents on the phone, and my sister lives in another country, she sends me emails one or two times a week. I am devastated over this situation. I already tryed everything, courses, sports, clubs... I really tryed to communicate with people. But they're not interested in me, some talk with me only because they need a favor which they never return.
I'm stuck im my apartment, I don't go out much, not even for a walk because when I see people talking I feel like I got punched in my stomach, I almost feel physical pain. I always ask myself: Why can't I have this? Normal, everyday conversation. The more I think the worse I feel. I can't take it anymore.

I yearn for human touch, I don't yearn as much for sex, as for that everyday intimacy, sharing thoughts and things.

I dont't know what else to do.

Forgive me, I had to drink to write this.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

I also have difficulty maintaining regular friendships. It seems the only relationships I've managed to keep alive were if I had a boyfriend. I don't know why, maybe a "boyfriend" is willing to put in more effort/ put up with more social difficulties because of the sex and everything, than a normal friend would. But the problem is that if one's significant other is your entire social world, what happens if the relationship does fail? It's shattering because you're back to isolation again. I'm lucky in that I'm close to my immediate family-- it isn't exactly friendship, but it does keep me from total isolation. If it weren't for that, I would have a hard time seeing the point in life.

It reminds me of something I once saw in a documentary. A woman in africa developed a fistula after an arduous childbirth. It left her incontinent, so she was shunned by the village and forced to live alone in a shack away from her family and villagers. She said living that way was worse than death.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

No, but sometimes I wish I had more friends within my age range. I do have quite a few friends, but most of them are either older or younger than me. I'm also really close with my family, which helps some. So, no, I don't feel lonely as much as I used to when I was younger.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

I have suffered a lot from lonliness over the years. At the moment - I am very much alone - but for some reason I don't feel lonely?!

My son is off at Uni. My partner needed so much alone time that he's got it in abundance now (as in we're not seeing each other anymore).

My job ends on Friday (14th Oct) - this may make loneliness kick in big time - but I hope not.

I think I have this website to thank. I now know there are others like me. I now know that those who are not like me are NT and they can't help it :D

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2011, 12:00 am

I'm so lonely. I just don't know what to do about it though.

silbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

I just had a meltdown...

A friend sent me a photo of her newborn baby. I just lost it. She mocks me. I kicked the door so hard that frame broke.

My life is hard enough without humiliation.