Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 6:55 pm

I think it's pretty pointless trying to say who may have Asperger's or who in the past may have had Asperger's.
Sorry but I also find it a little annoying if I'm frank. I can understand why NT's may decide certain people who are 'shy' or 'eccentric' may be on the spectrum, but it's somewhat worrying when I see it from other people who are on the spectrum doing this because I think AS/ASD are very distinct, we know more than anyone what it is to be on the spectrum, a person being a little odd or socially awkward really doesn't qualify someone as being AS/ASD. I like aspie-spotting, but don't see the point in getting caught-up over whether-or-not Hitler had AS.

Looking at famous people with Asperger's -
Travis Meeks, Dan Aykroyd, Ladyhawke, Daryl Hannah, Craig Nicholls, Gary Numan, Satoshi Tajiri, etc - all very clearly show aspie traits, they're not just OCD, odd, weird, eccentric, dedicated or paranoid.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2011, 1:23 am

Jamesy wrote:
I think Keanu Reeves has aspergers

I worked with someone who worked with him and said he is one of the biggest douchebags to walk the earth.

Check out my IMDB page!

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 2:02 am

i always wonder why some people think that people can't get diagnosed after their death.

the amount of information about myself and my life i supplied to during my Dx, is very, very little, compared to the information available about some of these famous historic figures....

also, the amount of observation and registering done throughout my life that could show my aspie traits is poor, very poor, compared to these famous types...

last but not least, the amount of intellectual insight in my brains workings, is essential limited to a few tests like the WAIS etc., as opposed to these famous people who have enriched the world with an abundance of their brains intellectual workings and thoughts...

how come that some people think they can't be correctly evaluated and Dx'ed??

it is beyond me.

if a correct Dx only can be made while a person is alive and personally observed by the evaluator, then the criteria of autism do not lie in the aforementioned items... but must solely exist in the persons appearance, voice, gaze and movements.

and even these informations are available for many of these famous people...

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2011, 3:43 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Sociopath and Aspergers have similar characteristics. Both lack empathy/feelings towards other people, they both do not really like other people, both portray anti-social personality traits, both are self centred and can be trouble makers.

A Sociopath has superficial charm and knows how to manipulate people by faking emotions to get their own way. Aspergers find it hard to express any emotions/feeling at all and lack empathy towards other people.

Famous people of past and present can be wrongly identified has having Aspergers but they may actually have sociopath tendencies. Sociopath is a condition obtained through an individual's environmental conditioning/circumstances. Sociopath is very similar to psychopath another anti-social personality disorder considered the most dangerous.

Aspergers seems more harmless and naive than a sociopath who can be more dangerous , evil and manipulative just like Hitler or Stalin two pin up sociopath/psychopaths.

Not everyone with Aspergers lacks empathy and hates people. Most of us want to make friends, but have bit harder time. Anti-social personality traits would mean that the person violates laws on purpose, lies, steals, vandalizes, manipulates, mistreats, is irresponsible, hurts others physically, among other things. It's a whole different diagnosis. Since you're saying that Aspergers is same as being Sociopath, are you admitting that you are Sociopath?

splinter
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2011, 5:56 pm

from what i heard of osama bin laden i dought he had aspergers he was seen as the go between the taliban and al Qaeda good at bringing people of similer mindsets together but some what diffrent goals thats why it was such a blow to thease groups with his death.While if he had aspergers i would of seen him more towords planning and logistics

Last edited by splinter on 29 May 2011, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2011, 7:56 am

I've heard soimething about one of the Olsen twins having a form of autism

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 10:06 am

James Durbin, a recent contestant on American Idol (he came in 4th place) has Asperger's and Tourette's. He is amazingly talented, his voice is out of this world, and I think he is a musical genius. His facial tics are very visible when he is being interviewed, but when he performs, they all go away. Check out some of his performances on Youtube!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 8:20 am

I have a few:

Daryl Hannah, an actress who was in Kill Bill
Craig Nicholls, lead singer of The Vines
Dan Akyroyd of SNL fame (and The Blues Brothers)
Satoshi Tajiri, creator of Pokemon
Heather Kuzmich, from America's Next Top Model

dinali
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2011, 7:29 am

Did I just get compared to a sociopath? :?
anyways, Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle, and that other thing I don't like to talk about) always seemed kinda aspie-ish to me

Gallowglass
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

i think it is good to have people to inspire us and i like hearing about people who do well and give a good sef image.maybe if we beleive we can be presidents, prime ministers, film stars, inventors and world champions we will do our best to make the most of our lot and have happy and sucesful lives.

i make goood coin and have a happy family despite coming from a poor broken home, aspergers and very little education but maybe if i had had role moidels like presidents and scientists then i might have tried harder in school

my boys are both adhd(just found out) and the eldest hates school but loves boxing but i have paid for tutoring for him and hope he will do a pluming apprentiship as a fall back in case the boxing doiesnt wk out and i hope that the young one will go to college and end up in a suitwearing job as he is clever but lazy lol.

but i would love to give both positive role models of people who is sccessful in spit opf Adhd and do not really care if these examplrs have a formal diagwotsit or not lo0l

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:25 am

Morrissey... check out interviews with him on youtube.

rodvanmechelen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2011, 2:48 am

In 1956 I went through the "autistic transition." In 1996 or thereabouts I was having dinner with Judith Bluestone, founder of the H.A.N.D.L.E. Institute, and Jim Nibblett. As we were finishing, Judith told me I needed to see a psychiatrist to be evaluated for Asperger's. Years later, I did, and was diagnosed. It explained a lot.

I've spent considerable time researching and evaluating ASD, and have some thoughts about it. One has to do with our so-called "mind blindness," or self-absorption.

First, during the transition, which happened sometime during my 3rd year, I can remember it, but it took me a long time to sort through those memories. The reason is that I was "stuck in the moment." That is, I had no linear lucidity. Everything was happening all in the same moment. So, where normal memory and experience of time is sequential, with discrete moments assigned to specific memories, my experience was that everything was happening all at the same time. Consequently, if normal experience can be likened to a video, with a series of images, my transition was like having all the images stacked on top of one another. Peel back the layers, the memories are all there, I wonder if this is the same for others.

Second, many people would probably agree that I suffer from "mind blindness." Yet, I fully appreciate that others are distinct and have minds. What, I suspect, differentiates my experience of otherness from the NT experience, is that I feel the connection to others so clearly that it takes an effort of will to separate my experience of self from my experience of otherness. An analogy I like is a term I may have read somewhere: we are the finger puppet puppets of God. In Dennis Schmidt's Wanderer series, he describes the "mind brothers" as being like individual fingers all connected through the hand. Each finger is separate and distinct--an "individual"--yet they are all connected and experience that connection. To me, others feel more like extensions of myself, than like others. Consequently, I am inclined to pay attention to "others" about as much as I would pay attention to a toe, finger or hair on my head. Setting aside the metaphysical connotations or implications, what if this is true? What if the reason why so many of us are perceived as being "mind blind" is because we experience our connectedness to others at a profound level?

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:42 am

Daryl_Blonder wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
I think Keanu Reeves has aspergers

I worked with someone who worked with him and said he is one of the biggest douchebags to walk the earth.

Why being a douchebag would by itself prevent from being aspie (or the opposite) ?

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 9:36 am

MyWorld wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Sociopath and Aspergers have similar characteristics. Both lack empathy/feelings towards other people, they both do not really like other people, both portray anti-social personality traits, both are self centred and can be trouble makers.

A Sociopath has superficial charm and knows how to manipulate people by faking emotions to get their own way. Aspergers find it hard to express any emotions/feeling at all and lack empathy towards other people.

Famous people of past and present can be wrongly identified has having Aspergers but they may actually have sociopath tendencies. Sociopath is a condition obtained through an individual's environmental conditioning/circumstances. Sociopath is very similar to psychopath another anti-social personality disorder considered the most dangerous.

Aspergers seems more harmless and naive than a sociopath who can be more dangerous , evil and manipulative just like Hitler or Stalin two pin up sociopath/psychopaths.

Not everyone with Aspergers lacks empathy and hates people. Most of us want to make friends, but have bit harder time. Anti-social personality traits would mean that the person violates laws on purpose, lies, steals, vandalizes, manipulates, mistreats, is irresponsible, hurts others physically, among other things. It's a whole different diagnosis. Since you're saying that Aspergers is same as being Sociopath, are you admitting that you are Sociopath?

Yes, I do admit to being a Sociopath. I can easily fake feelings and emotions. People with Aspergers need to learn to fake emotions and feelings. Faking emotions and feelings is a true sign of being a Sociopath.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
MyWorld wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Yes, I do admit to being a Sociopath. I can easily fake feelings and emotions. People with Aspergers need to learn to fake emotions and feelings. Faking emotions and feelings is a true sign of being a Sociopath.

Let's see, you claim Asperger's syndrome and sociopathy overlap on several characteristics. I don't think it's typical for people with AS to have trouble feeling or expressing emotions, but they may have trouble with social appropriateness/nuance and intuiting the intentions/emotions of others. I think many aspies enjoy the companionship of others but may have trouble with the social skills. Likewise, neither persistent antisocial behavior nor "troublemaking" are associated with AS. Please do not conflate Asperger's syndrome with antisocial personality disorder, sociopathy, or psychopathy.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

How about Bill Gates? I've heard he might be on the Spectrum.

And the same of Mark Twain. Surprised I haven't seen his name yet....