Alot 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Sometimes 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Never 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2011, 12:06 am

This is an old article but one I only recently discovered. It came up during a search into the effects of solitary confinement. Autism, to varying degrees relative to level of disorder manifestation, is a type of involuntary isolation. To quote the article where a comparison is figuratively drawn - "...researchers found that the test (isolated) monkeys, upon being released into a group of ordinary monkeys, 'usually go into a state of emotional shock, characterized by . . . autistic self-clutching and rocking.'"

ARTICLE DISCUSSING TORTUROUS EFFECTS OF SOLITARY CONFINEMENT

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 12:32 pm

yet another chapter in the story of man's inhumanity to man.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2011, 4:28 pm

Yes it is AB. However, an aspect of the article I found interesting was unintended by the author. Specifically, I was drawn to the similarities in behaviors, that which is elicited by long stretches of solitary confinement and that which is experienced by individuals with autism. Some similarities were explicitly mentioned or obvious in the article, others I could perceive through extrapolation and comparison with personal experience.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:16 am

i read a long time ago [in PsychToday], of a social experiment where these college students were put together in a small room with some other college students who were in on the experiment, where the other students would systematically shun the one student, and at the end of the test, the other students were called away on a pretext and the one student was given cognitive tests in spoken conversation, and the shunned student showed symptoms of cognitive decline, in just the few hours duration of the experiment. so if this type of dysfunction can be induced in an otherwise normal kid in just an afternoon, it isn't a far stretch that over a long period of time, that quasi-autistic symptoms can also be induced in people as well. just thinking... i am no smartie when it comes to these bigbrained things. :?

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 12:23 pm

I am very much alone but seldom feel alone or lonely. Other people cramp my self-development with their high energy, undeserved self confidence and unquestioned/unquestionable shared ideas. My pleasure in life comes from trying new techniques and new ideas and that necessarily leads to a lot of failures. I'd rather just move on than have to apologize or explain, and that pretty much necessitates removing people from my life.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 12:27 pm

I mostly want to be alone. And I don't have a problem with it.
But, sometimes, very rarely, I do long for interaction. Which I will never get in the way that I'd like it.
But even that is not a huge issue. Emotions for me are very transitory, however intense they are when I'm feeling them.