Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

beanie93
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 May 2011, 5:07 pm

i feel like im the only girl with asperger i go to a group every month but there all boys

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 5:13 pm

Ask if they have a girls group or atleast organise one?

I've met more guys then girls with autism, but you aren't the only one don't worry :wink:

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2011, 5:16 pm

I used to feel that way. I've only ever met one other girl with asperger's in real life. I think she was undiagnosed.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 5:16 pm

You're far from the only girl, as you can see here on WP, if that makes you feel any better! I guess your area is low on girls for some reason. Or maybe girls get diagnosed later on average, like in early adulthood? Is that the case? Cause they "blend in" more easily?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 6:18 pm

There's a girl that I know who probably has Asperger's. When I asked her what her diagnosis was (she went to a special school) she told me she was diagnosed with ADHD, bipolar, and anxiety. That seems to be a common alternative. She is rather aloof and straightforward, but in a girly way, not in a masculine way. I'll bet anything she has Asperger's.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 8:46 pm

Don't worry, there are plenty of us out there - we just like to hide. :wink:

Two of my mom's coworkers are sisters with an ASD. I've met them before - they are aloof but nice.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 11:39 pm

I believe there was one girl in a group I used to meet with, and I went to college with another. I suppose they are hard to find...

But they do not have me

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 9:46 pm

Yeah I only met girls with aspergers in an aspergers support group. Ive never really known any that I know of.

I think I met a couple twins back in HS who looking back could have been aspergers or at least NLD. Some sorta social impairment. One girl pulled off an outward NT apperance when u interacted with her but she and her sister were very much loners. Her sister was more obviously socially impaired. They were both very smart in English/History areas but very bad at math which makes me think they were probably NVD.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 May 2011, 12:27 am

I was diagnosed with PDD-with autistic characteristics, but I act more like I have aspergers now than when I did as a kid, and I am female too. The only thing that did not give me the full HFA diagnosis was that I have an abundant imagination and was very involved in imaginitive play. Other than that I fit the criteria quite well.
I knew one other girl in person in my entire life with HFA, but my best friend in college fits the critera quite well, but I have not told her yet though. Maybe I should send her the AQ test?

Anyway, My name is Jojo, what are your interests?? (this is how aspies start a conversation ya know :D )

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:19 pm

I know there are tons of girls out there with ASDs; however, I have not meant any yet in person yet except for myself. I have only ever met two people that I know of with autism. Both were a lot more LF than me, and both were guys. That was all. There is an autism group in the city which I haven't been able to go to yet (keeping my fingers crossed for next month), and I know there are girls/ladies that go there.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:48 pm

Yes, there are more boys than girls with AS, but that doesn't mean that there isn ANY.

Look, HEY!
I am a girl!
Hi, I have autism.....ok, so it's not particularly aspergers, but it is a type of social disease (seriously though, the differences are SO minute, I have talked to doctors, parents, and searched online to find if I have HFA or aspergers, and it was such hard work because the two are SO similar)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:53 am

I'm a gal :) I'm in care and there are definitely more guys than girls here. I think its because girls with autistic behaviours are either ignored or misdiagnosed. Strange though because TS is said to affect more boys than girls, but I know loads of women with TS and about a quarter of us have coprolalia which is said to be rare! Weeeird!

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:04 am

There are lots of girls with Aspergers who probably don't have symptoms strong enough to be noticed...maybe their parents just think they're quirky or something. I guarantee they are out there though. Don't give up hope. :-) I'm not DXd, but I'm 99% positive that I have it too. I think more girls are being recognized when they are younger.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Lerena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2011, 4:46 am

I was diagnosed at twelve years old, but my doctor before then decided not to tell me. I'm a female Aspie. In fact, I've met more females with Asperger's than males. Don't ask me how that's possible. Although, it's the shortage of female Aspie recognition that continues to push my buttons. I feel a rant coming on.