do you still have a black/white perspective?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2011, 12:10 pm

one of the things we're relatively known for is having a black and white perspective on things.

do you still have this? or has it changed as you've grown older? if it changed, what caused it to change?

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2011, 12:13 pm

I certainly have, I've always had it like that :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:19 pm

That's pretty much my biggest disability with my AS. Things either ARE or AREN'T. YES or NO. I get enraged or confused when people tell me 'maybe'. That's not to say I am not trying hard to overcome this and there are some things where I am starting to see more than one side to a story.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Maybe :P

Mine has changed over the years. I have perspectives but I don't make them black and white. but I do want yes and no answers or else I won't know the answer and it frustrates me when someone won't give me a yes or no answer. So I am left to assume and if I am wrong, too bad. I have to fight for the answer so I go "yes or no?" and that works. But usually they say they don't know and I go "Why didn't you say so?" Geez is it that hard to say "I don't know" than avoiding the question? :roll: But because I accept "I don't know" as an answer, I must not be black and white. Same as if people aren't sure of something or can't make up their minds no matter how crazy it drives me. I just don't take them seriously. Same as when they say they are going to do something and they stall off doing it, forget it. I don't rely on them or count on it. Problem solved.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:07 pm

I don't think I see things as black or white, nor ever have.

I think I'd prefer a black and white perspective on things, if nothing else it'd stop me babbling when answering a question which everyone else would have a simple yes or no answer to.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Either there are absolutes or there are not, and yes, I offer that as an absolute statement! And so ...

Being a "concrete-absolute" someone who actively and passionately seeks "the final and absolute truth" of just about anything and everything, I typically (and almost categorically) "dismiss relativity" altogether.

Nevertheless, I have (in these later years of life) come to realize, understand, and to accept the fact of not all people actually thinking that way, and that "change in me" has been (at least in part) driven by my desire to have nevertheless-healthy and fulfilling interactions with such "random-abstract" types.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Yes. I understand that other people may have other views on a subject, but they are wrong. (assuming they cannot convince me otherwise with clear, solid evidence to the contrary)

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 1:59 pm

I dunno about "black and white thinking", but I usually either adore people or can't tolerate them at all-
I don't know what I'd do if forced to be around them. I've never had a "meltdown", but I probably would, then.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:24 pm

Yes, I am very black and white in my thinking.

Something is either right or wrong, it is either true or false. I realise my thinking can be quite annoying to others, especially my mother. She finds me very frustrating at times. I remember this thinking was reflected in my school reports, even up to A-Level.

I do however find this difficult, with issues that may not be so straightforward. Where things probably should/could be grey, I oscillate between the black option and the white option. For example I have been an atheist, and an evangelical Christian, and I almost converted to Orthodox Judaism (the Rabbi wouldn't let me as there were hardly any Jews where I lived). If I have a belief then I can't cope with maybe's, might be's and could be's. I couldn't be a Quaker or Unitarian, when it all seems so grey and woolly. I tend to the extremes in nearly all things. It's not always helpful.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:36 pm

Yup. It's frustrating. It's especially frustrating that I understand that I'm often fanatically wrong or that being fanatically right isn't useful. I try to cultivate ambivalence.

The year is still young.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 2:38 pm

I hate it when things aren't black and white. This is the one reason why I love mathematics over everything else. X either equals 2 or it doesn't, there is no "X could be equal to 2 if you interpret it this way, but if you don't it equals 3". It bothers me even more when somebody asks me a question and the correct answer is in some sort of gray area. I guess this is why I'm accused of being vague all the time.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 4:19 pm

I've just remembered when I was about 10/11 years old, I had to write a fake newspaper article about fox hunting. My view on fox hunting, as an animal lover is, and always has been, that it's wrong. Anyway, the article required us to be non-biased, therefore we had to put the other side's view as well. So it started well, with me saying that it was a horrible excuse for a sport, yadayadayada... until I had to write the other people's point of view. There's about one sentence from the other point of view... I think it said something like; 'fox hunting is good because it is'. and I think I gave the guy a stupid name... Needless to say I failed at that one!

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2011, 4:44 pm

Sadly yes, if anything my black and white has slowly gotten worse as i've become older and more frustrated with life and society.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 5:03 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I've just remembered when I was about 10/11 years old, I had to write a fake newspaper article about fox hunting. My view on fox hunting, as an animal lover is, and always has been, that it's wrong. Anyway, the article required us to be non-biased, therefore we had to put the other side's view as well. So it started well, with me saying that it was a horrible excuse for a sport, yadayadayada... until I had to write the other people's point of view. There's about one sentence from the other point of view... I think it said something like; 'fox hunting is good because it is'. and I think I gave the guy a stupid name... Needless to say I failed at that one!

My trick to that be pretend I am writing a story, I am going to have to use a character that has a different opinion on something I don't have. Express that person's opinion in my story. Writing a fake article is like writing a story.

Also another trick is go online and ask why is fox hunting good and why do people like it. Then use the answers you got for your fake article.

That is how you get around the black and white thinking.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 6:17 pm

Jellybean wrote:

You can actually turn it into your benefit, I've found.

The very best argument for your side?

Set up/present the best argument imaginable espousing the opposing view-

And then take it apart, piece by piece.

:D

To me, that's more satisfying than merely asserting my own view.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 6:24 pm

Are we talking morality? Because, for me, it's more like Blue and Orange:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... geMorality

I don't assume I'm right. I just assume that there is an absolute right answer. If you think it through, you can find that, in every decision you make, there will be one that provides the greatest benefit. You may not know it, but that doesn't make your decision any less wrong.