do you still have a black/white perspective?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 May 2011, 1:40 am

League_Girl wrote:
Okay if you are able to change your opinion based on what you have learned when you learn something new, if you don't try and force people to agree with you, if you don't think your opinions are always right because you know it's just your opinion, not a fact, if you are aware of exception to rules, then you are not black and white. Simple as that. Same as if people spell things out to you about what be exception to the rules and you listen, you are not black and white.

I think sometimes people here are too quick to call someone's arguments or thought processes black and white during a disagreement, without really addressing the arguments in question. Sometimes the people saying this are holding onto a particularly rigid and unyielding perspective as well, so... I don't know, not sure there's any value in making the assumption that someone who makes an argument one disagrees with that they're just doing it out of stubbornness and an extreme perspective. It's entirely possible that there are multiple levels of nuance that aren't making it into the discussion because this is a message forum and it is not always possible to be quite as fully exhaustive as one wishes to be.

But there are things I am pretty stubborn about, and unwilling to compromise on. I'm not sure I want to pathologize my thought processes over it, however.