Aspergers vs Schizoid Personality Disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2011, 5:38 pm

What exactly is the difference between those two? I heard that they are very similar, but there must be some clear differences, otherwise they wouldn't be different disorders. What are those differences?

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2011, 5:53 pm

schizoid, and schizotipal, personality d/o both have a good deal of overlap, however, what defines schizophrenia? I would argue that it is hallucinations and delusions. essentially there is an overlap in the sx of the 2 dx. Is there a deeper relationship between As and Schizophrenia? i am not sure that we really know enough about the etiology of either to say one way or another.

I will note at this point that I think there are multiple underlying etiologies within the spectrum itself, (ie there may be a number of different alleles (expressed genes) that go into what makes you an NT or puts you over here with us) and therefore some of us have sx that others don't have or in any case don't exhibit to the same severity.

Supernova008

14 May 2011, 5:54 pm

I didn't say Schizophrenia; I said Schizoid Personality Disorder. I am pretty sure Schizoid people don't need to have hallucinations and delusions to be diagnosed as such.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:07 pm

People with SPD don't have a need for routines or get upset with change, they don't stim like we do or have obsessions like we do. I am sure they can still read people and pick up on cues like NTs can.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:15 pm

Schizoid PD is a personality disorder which means it isn't supposed to appear (or be diagnosed) before adulthood.

I don't have the DSM diagnostic criteria in front of me ATM, but IIRC SPD doesn't require impairment in non-verbal communication, intense special interests, adherence routines, or stimming. There is probably more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Also, the name "Schizoid" is a holdover from way back when it was thought that SPD had something to do with schizophrenia. It is not longer thought to have any connection. (Seems like Psychiatry always wants to link everything the schizophrenia.)

So, there are differences, but I'd also say don't assume the DSM is some totally self-consistent system that will always make sense.