Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:22 pm

I know NT communication skills can get them out of some tricky situations but do you agree that there are some scenarios that are so difficult and dangerous that even the most skilled NT communicator could not get his way out of it???? Or could some skilled Neurotypicals litteraly communicate and use language as an instrument or weapon to wiggle there way out of anything? Like for example some NTs can talk there way out of a beating by a gang of thugs by the use of langaugage.

Would be good if some NTs as well as Aspies could give thier input in this thread.

As for my communication skills? :) ................................ Lets just say i struggle to to even communicate ordering a McDonalds so i'd hate to see what would happen too me in a dangerous situation.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:29 pm

Only in the movies are there people who can talk themselves out of literally any situation.

There are extremely good communicators who are hired to talk people into or out of situations: hostage negotiators and diplomats probably are the most skilled. But even they run into situations where it just doesn't work.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:59 pm

There is a limit because humans are fallible creatures. The smoothest ones are able to give off the illusion that they have none.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Also some people are not so gulliable to believe lies told by skilled communicators.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2011, 6:03 am

Jamesy wrote:
I know NT communication skills can get them out of some tricky situations but do you agree that there are some scenarios that are so difficult and dangerous that even the most skilled NT communicator could not get his way out of it????

The Nuremberg war trials. A lot of people did a lot of slick talking, but it didn't help them.

Michael28
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2011, 6:45 am

Trencher93 wrote:
The Nuremberg war trials. A lot of people did a lot of slick talking, but it didn't help them.

Didn't Hitler die before his trial began? Maybe he could of. The world may never know...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:57 am

There are some situations in which nobody is willing to talk. In that case even the most socially skilled person couldn't get out of it. And of course there are situations that don't involve people, and situations in which crucial information is not known. So, yeah, there's plenty that doesn't rest on social skills.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

NateSean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2011, 8:12 am

Trencher93 wrote:

Well that was more of an issue where someone had to pay for what had been done. You don't participate in the killing of six million people and talk your way out of it. The best thing you can hope for there is that you don't crap yourself after your neck snaps at the end of the rope.

Talking your way out of something only works when there's no clear way of determining if you're guilty or not. It's using every advantage and doing it with a smile, while employing a level of social hypnotism that was made famous by Johnny Cochrane.