Being too dependent on one person - help!

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 7:24 am

marshmallow wrote:
Thanks for your replies.
Hi Captain Brown, I think my friend does care in their own way, its just that I can be very demonstrative ( perhaps overly so..... ). But my family are brilliant, how they put up with me sometimes, Ill never know.
Hi rhubarbplus custard, I feel for you, keep me posted, maybe we can support each other.
I feel so happy when my friends around, partly I think because I feel a connection with them that I dont with others, like I can say something random but theyll understand.
Yet it feels so lonely.

Do you go to a phychiatrist? I think you should, in a nice way, because you seem depressed.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:10 am

You're welcome!

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 5:30 pm

marshmallow wrote:
Once more I come to you for advice.
I wonder is this a common aspie trait and do any of you recognise this.
I have become emotionally dependent on someone to the extent that when they are not around, I feel like the bottom has dropped out of my world. There is no real reason for this, the person is a friend and someone I totally relate with, but its not like they take care of me or even listen to my problems, theyre just there.
And when theyre not I feel the most painful longing.
It seems so out of proportion because I can not see family members etc for ages, but it doesnt bother me that much, even really close ones.
Yet this person is like oxygen to me.
Anyone had a similar experience?
love Marshmallow

Actually, this is unofficaly recognised as an aspie trait. ((I forget the resource.))

Someone once called it an aspie claiming a 'safe person'

lunchbox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2006, 1:07 am

I've had this problem all throughout my life. When I was younger, I always attached myself to one friend, and usually trusted them explicitly. I've had some problems in the past because of it, and I've closed myself off and become a much more private person because of it. I now don't trust people until I know them very well, and even then I don't feel comftorable to the extent I used to.

mullion

19 Aug 2006, 11:10 am

Yep, only every day of every wk of my life. I would be lost without my husband. It makes me worry how I would cope if I HAD to cope alone one day. He is NT, but v.placid (sometimes to the point of annoyance) & logical. I can be either quite overemotional (when stressed) but once have calmed down I go to other extreme & do not seem to need closeness (something he struggles with). He sometimes feels more like a parent than a partner :?

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2006, 9:06 pm

I was dependent on my best friend in high school. it put a real strain on our friendship (unbeknonst to me at the time) because i had to talk to her everyday about my problems because only she would understand. She finally told her mom to tell my mom i was having issues which resulted in me getting my first therapist. anyway, she ended up getting a boyfriend which i felt as betrayal, even though i intellectually knew it was not.

now i am very dependent on my parents. i don't think i could function without them, so i know how you feel. i don't know what to do about it though, either.