I am not sure if I have Asperger's Syndrome or not

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 1:44 am

JA JA, I love to have a beer but I am at work now......It's okay and we're only having a discussion.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2011, 1:49 am

Ryuzaki21 wrote:
JA JA, I love to have a beer but I am at work now......It's okay and we're only having a discussion.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes mate!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 May 2011, 1:59 am

Autistic people can use and understand slang. I've seen a lot of it used by those who have a formal diagnosis, and not just of one particular age group.

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 2:09 am

Verdandi, I do have all the Predominantly inattentive type symptoms in ADHD but not the Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type symptom. Oh boy, looks like I have more disorders than I had thought of.

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 2:12 am

ProudAspie wrote:
Ryuzaki21 wrote:

Work is the curse of the drinking classes mate!

Agreed. No harm in having a quick beer session with your mates though every now and then, is there?

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 2:12 am

does the fact that I used to enjoy watching two and a half men and southpark help my case in the slightest?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 May 2011, 3:15 am

Ryuzaki21 wrote:
does the fact that I used to enjoy watching two and a half men and southpark help my case in the slightest?

I used to watch South Park. I was diagnosed last month.

I've only seen three episodes of Two and a Half Men, though, but I have been obsessed with numerous other shows, including some sitcoms. I don't think liking TV shows rules things out.

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 4:22 am

Hmm...okay. It does make sense though to an extent.I have all the symptoms except the routines part and I have do not have a problem being in a crowded place.I live in the most overcrowded country in the world.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2011, 4:56 am

I'm in the same boat - ie. have recently specifically started looking into the possibility I might have AS. A few years ago my mother commented that AS seemed to fit me in many ways - I had heard snippets about it and saw her point but didn't actually feel it worth looking into - sort of earmarked it for something to do eventually.

Recently a new work colleague was gently pushing me to be more social - I agreed I needed to be but found it taxing - it's not so much that I am antisocial, but more that I can't be bothered with the hassle and I find it tiring - I'll do it for the benefit of others but I personally don't get anything out of it. I mentioned that my mother thought I might be AS - at which my colleague revealed he had direct experience with a diagnosed family member and as far as he was concerned I was certainly AS.

At that point I started looking into it. All the indicators line up - even things I initially didn't think correlated actually DO match up when examined (my wife has been helpful there). For example I had no idea I was at all odd about close contact etc. but my wife pointed out that I in fact OFTEN move away from her especially when she gently sidles up to me - I didn't agree - now she takes great pleasure in declaring "You're doing it!! " whenever it happens. I've found the revelation to be really surprising.

Anyway, where I'm at now is trying to find things that CONTRA indicate - which seems similar to what you are doing Ryuzaki21?

One of those things I wonder about is the emotional aspect - I can be VERY emotional - but am constantly surprised that others don't feel the same - and at times can even be completely at odds with how I'm feeling. I also speak a lot in metaphors to try to explain things - and at times I can be very self conscious (most of the time I can handle it quite well, but I'm NEVER totally UNselfconscious). Do those things sound to be contrary to AS?

Another thing that jumped out and grabbed me was that I interpret Greenturtle74's "Take me to your leader" cartoon somewhat differently to how it's presented - ie. to fit my own personal view of the world it needs to be the NT saying "Do you want to be taken to our leader" - with the AS person wondering why the other person seems to think he (the AS person) is an alien. Does that interpretation work contrary to AS?

The energy bar cartoon was a revelation - I always assumed "other people" (as I've called people since I was a child) found social interaction just as tiring as me but enjoyed it enough that they coped much better. I'm really surprised to find they actually find it "energising" - and really had doubts but again my wife assures me that cartoon is accurate. That cartoon - like the take me to your leader one - is made by an AS person FOR AS people - my "difference" of understanding in comparison to the community here seems to be a general contra-indication??

And basically I've always felt the same as you Ryuzaki21 in that I've never felt my own point of view or behaviour to be incorrect - but it's "other people" who behave strangely - this tempered by the rational realisation that as tiny minority I am indeed the one that's APPARENTLY odd. I don't hate other people as such but definitely carry a fairly hefty dose of resentment / bitterness for being made to feel bad at times. I get angry frustrated but don't direct it at people very often - usually I chanel it into being dismissive and aloof to everyone around me and let the frustration out when I can be alone. I've hurt my hands many times from punching brick walls...

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 5:42 am

You could try out the "Aspie quiz" at http://www.rdos.net/.

I'd be unhappy with a "family psychiatrist" whose entire experience of Asperger's syndrome seems to be that it is a PDD, and who "thinks I shouldn't give it much attention as it would hinder my ability to lead a normal life". That's rubbish. Your life is as it is. Discovering that you happen to be an aspie isn't going to change anything - other than supplying you with a bit more self-knowledge.

I'm unclear why you "fear greatly that I might have it". It's not infectious.

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 6:07 am

I know it's not a disease....lolz.That I do understand and people's attitudes tend to confound me at times. All I want is a normal life, get married to a nice girl and focus on my hobbies....lolz

I suppose I might as well begin to accept it but I also need to be absolutely sure that it is correct, that is my only worry.

Oh and I took the test and answered them to the best of my knowledge, the result is:

Your Aspie score: 164 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

[img][url=img]http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=98&p2=74&p3=81&p4=81&p5=73&p6=79&p7=90&p8=74&p9=85&p10=50&p11=67&p12=45[/img]]Results[/url][/img]

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 6:20 am

My dilemma is that I must be absolutely and completely sure that this is Asperger's syndrome and not just plain ol' social phobia. I can relate to a lot of what you say. I have done more than punching my fist on a wall or through glass. I also bang my head at times....As disturbing as that sounds it is true. From what I understand of Asperger's that they do feel and understand emotions. It's not like they are machines, are they? (I say they because I am not sure if am an Aspie or not)....The degree of emotion felt varies and it is either felt either too trenchantly or only in a fleeting manner. Aspies do not fully realize how to contemplate the nature of tumultuous emotions. I keep mine bottled up and find it awkward to handle romantic situations or most social situations.For that matter a few ago a girl told me that she liked and I was so flummoxed that I reacted rather inappropriately.....We have vacations now and I have yet to muster the courage to talk to her,

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 6:31 am

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 6:31 am

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2011, 7:15 am

I'm in (the same kind? ) of dilemma - on the face of it, AS explains SO MUCH - and has the potential to give me a tremendous peace of mind that the things I've dealt with have been for a REASON and the situation has been the way it is for a reason - not just because I've somehow failed to get a grip. Sure it's simple enough to imagine just deciding it's so - but I feel that I need at least a certain amount of validation before I can get invested enough to actually claim that comfort with any legitimacy - even only within myself.

The solution on the face of it is simple - just get diagnosed - but I have 2 big problems there - firstly I simply don't have any confidence in mental health "professionals" - if someone could give me ironclad guarantee Doctor "Smith" has 100% correct diagnosis ability - or there's a "Diagnosis 1000 computer" that was 100% guaranteed to be correct then I'd be there tomorrow.... And secondly I have grave fears that with an official record of being in the ASD range I might not be able to keep my professional qualifications - which grant me signatory privileges - which are essentially what I get paid for. Scary stuff.

To be honest I feel more confident of rigorous community assessment than professional examination - which is pretty much why I'm here - I'm seeking either enough validation to be able to draw that comfort OR enough debunking to be able to walk away from it all. I signed on to open exactly the same thread and was shocked that a "I think I might have AS" thread had just been opened. I guess I really should go and do my own thread.

I'm 132 and 74 on the "Aspie Quiz"

Last edited by Wooster on 18 May 2011, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 11:30 am

Ryuzaki21 wrote:
No, I do not have ADHD. I might have been hyperactive as a child but not as an adult and I can sit in one place for long. Also I do not follow any routines whatsoever and once I exhausted my love for a specific topic then I find information on something new....I am a skilled arbitrator and can view the pros and cons of a situation very well.

In 1975 they diagnosed me as having ADHD they told my parents that I was a clear cut case for the disorder. I was in special education classes from first grade until tenth grade it was the worst time in my life. In 2010 I went to see a psychologist to see if I had Asperger's syndrome the doctor who tested me told me he saw no signs of ADHD only Asperger's syndrome. He told me he thought I had Aspergers from the first meeting with me. That misdiagnosis cost me a proper education it was also a major part of why I did not go to college.

The reason I went in for a diagnosis was because people on this site told me they thought I did not have Aspergers and I was certain I had it. When I told the doctor the reason I was getting tested he laughed and asked me how many of the people on Wrong Planet were psychologists when I told him none he laughed again. He told meeveything I did or said screamed Aspergers. So you can see what the people on here capable of when it comes to diagnosing their fellow autistics.