I am not sure if I have Asperger's Syndrome or not

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 11:30 am

Ryuzaki21 wrote:
No, I do not have ADHD. I might have been hyperactive as a child but not as an adult and I can sit in one place for long. Also I do not follow any routines whatsoever and once I exhausted my love for a specific topic then I find information on something new....I am a skilled arbitrator and can view the pros and cons of a situation very well.

In 1975 they diagnosed me as having ADHD they told my parents that I was a clear cut case for the disorder. I was in special education classes from first grade until tenth grade it was the worst time in my life. In 2010 I went to see a psychologist to see if I had Asperger's syndrome the doctor who tested me told me he saw no signs of ADHD only Asperger's syndrome. He told me he thought I had Aspergers from the first meeting with me. That misdiagnosis cost me a proper education it was also a major part of why I did not go to college.

The reason I went in for a diagnosis was because people on this site told me they thought I did not have Aspergers and I was certain I had it. When I told the doctor the reason I was getting tested he laughed and asked me how many of the people on Wrong Planet were psychologists when I told him none he laughed again. He told meeveything I did or said screamed Aspergers. So you can see what the people on here capable of when it comes to diagnosing their fellow autistics.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 1:42 pm

@Ryuzaki21: Sound like you got a mix of asperger and intellectual giftedness.

Ryuzaki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2011, 7:31 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. I had an in-depth discussion with a new doctor (a neuro-psychiatrist) and apparently I do not have Asperger's. Nothing from my body language, my thought process indicates that I have Asperger's. I am not entirely sure of the validity of Myers Briggs personality types but I am an INTP and apparently that personality type shares many similarities with Asperger's but it is not the same thing.......I am creative, capable of lateral thinking, multi-tasking, lack repetition in body movement and my motor movements seem fine so I have to rule it out. I guess I am just a freak.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2011, 10:18 am

Ryuzaki21 wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. I had an in-depth discussion with a new doctor (a neuro-psychiatrist) and apparently I do not have Asperger's. Nothing from my body language, my thought process indicates that I have Asperger's. I am not entirely sure of the validity of Myers Briggs personality types but I am an INTP and apparently that personality type shares many similarities with Asperger's but it is not the same thing.......I am creative, capable of lateral thinking, multi-tasking, lack repetition in body movement and my motor movements seem fine so I have to rule it out. I guess I am just a freak.

Feel free to hang around WrongPlanet anyways - even if you don't have Asperger's, but do have "many similarities with Asperger's" for other reasons, you might find it worthwhile to stay around, because there are likely to be people here who understand those aspects of you.

And one attitude you will find often around WrongPlanet is that there's nothing wrong with being weird or different. Even if you're weird or different for non-AS reasons, you might find it refreshing to have a place where people think there's nothing wrong with being weird or different.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

I didn't realise there was a relationship between that personality type classification and AS!!

I did the full type test when I was about 17 and was INTJ...