Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 9:38 pm

We don't understand the mechanism of Autism, or the brain itself in many ways. I like to believe in infinite possibilities.

If you don't meet the diagnostic standard, you don't have it by definition.

That said, if someone else will pay for you to talk about any problems you might have with a therapist, take full advantage of it while it lasts! That's only if you have an ethical and useful therapist, of course. One of my friends told me his therapist used to give him advice on how to handle his parents, since he didn't think my friend was the one with a problem. :wink:

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2011, 9:55 pm

There are questions being asked by medical professionals whether or not Aspergers even exists. Every person is unique and different in this world. The Psychiatric handbook of what is or is not an illness keeps getting updated all the time. Homosexuality was considered a mental impairment up until the 1970s.

People like to label things and have everything in its right place. The term Aspergers is just like any other impairment and gives you a label that may stigmatise you.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 10:40 pm

While I don't think it is possible to outgrow having Asperger's, I do think it's possible to develop coping mechanisms to make living with Asperger's easier. Take me as an example: I'm 22 years old, and while I do still have Asperger's, I've been able to learn enough social skills to get by, as well as self-management skills leaving me able to hold down a job and support myself. For me, this took a little extra work than the average NT, as I've had to study these skills like you would study historical facts, but it's helped me. With some effort and maturity, I think these are skills that any aspie can attain.

emmyblowgun
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 May 2011, 10:50 pm

swbluto wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
It isn't possible. You probably never had it to begin with.

Yep.

The following are dead give-aways:

-I'd get headaches in quiet rooms
-I had very few friends.
-I love going to loud parties and concerts.

I liked going out loud concerts as a teenager and I don't think this means I'm not an aspie. I'm not very sensitive to sounds. Actually, my hearing is worse than most people's, and I enjoy loud music. I have sensory issues with my sense of touch.

As for whether the OP is an aspie...I doubt it. Your mom probably saw a few autistic traits in you, which she was looking for because your dad has it, and jumped on that. It's possible to have some traits without actually having Asperger's syndrome. I also doubt it because it sounds like you've been evaluated for it but wasn't diagnosed.

DoIHaveIt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2011, 11:11 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I'm pretty sure I'm not an aspie, but if I were, I'd be okay with that.. I was horrified at the idea before but now after talking to you guys I think it'd be ok. Sorry if that sounds offensive or sterotyping, but it's true :)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

19 May 2011, 1:17 am

Do you think that maybe because your dad has AS that you picked up on his behavior and mimiced it??
And as soon as you began to seperate from your parents in adolesence, you started acting more NT??
That might explain that difference.
You would not have that kind of change as a person with AS unless you had intensive early intervention which continued into adolecence.

I remember when I went to a international club party in college. I thought it was going to be a nerd fest (which is what I was hoping for). It was nothing like I expected...they rolled in the kegs of beer, they drank, they bootie danced to loud and incomprehesible music, and I was so overstimulated by the noise and comotion that I just fell asleep on the couch, exausted from all the stimuli. They woke me up a few times to dance with them...which I felt like a fish out of water, and then went back to sleep away the stress untill the driver decided she was ready to go back to the dorm.

Now MY idea of a party is a few of my friends and I get together to paint a mural or something....while listening to Enya or micheal bolton. :nerdy:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 1:27 am

DoIHaveIt wrote:
Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I'm pretty sure I'm not an aspie, but if I were, I'd be okay with that.. I was horrified at the idea before but now after talking to you guys I think it'd be ok. Sorry if that sounds offensive or sterotyping, but it's true :)

I think it's difficult to any poster here to determine from the small amount of information you gave whether you have it or not. If you don't have any difficulties now, then probably not. If you don't have any difficulties now, but this is because you're working your butt off to try and achieve and maintain normality when it doesn't come naturally or easily to you, then you might have it.

I'm you're not experiencing any difficulties and living a normal life comes naturally to you then I probably wouldn't worry.

Dark_Lord_2008 I take offense at you saying Asperger's doesn't exist. It makes a mockery of the struggles I and the other members of this forum have had to work hard our whole lives to overcome. Asperger's is more than just being "unique" or "different" or having a certain sexual preference. Asperger's is both a disability AND a difference (and in some ways an ability), and I am very sick of people saying it's not a disability. I don't understand how anyone who has Asperger's could say it's never caused them any difficulties or struggles in life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 1:51 am

Yes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 4:05 am

I gave up trying to outgrow AS, years ago. I've found that it's a lot easier and healthier for me, just to be myself. Why put myself through anymore stress, by being the perfect person that my mum wanted me to grow up to be?

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2011, 6:58 am

Why fake being normal and sociable to fit in? You can be yourself and keep your special Aspie powers and eccentric/odd mannerisms.

People should like you for you and accept you for being you. People can either accept you or just go away. Anyone who criticises, judges you or harasses you for being different is just a cowardly bully.

The people wanting you to change have the problem. They are racist/prejudicial pieces of garbage. They judge you because they do not know you.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 7:48 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Why fake being normal and sociable to fit in? You can be yourself and keep your special Aspie powers and eccentric/odd mannerisms.

People should like you for you and accept you for being you. People can either accept you or just go away. Anyone who criticises, judges you or harasses you for being different is just a cowardly bully.

The people wanting you to change have the problem. They are racist/prejudicial pieces of garbage. They judge you because they do not know you.

I only partially agree...

On the one hand, yes... Accept who you are and be ok with that. People who matter don't care. People who care don't matter. And all that.

On the other, though... That doesn't stop a critical breakdown in communication between you and other people. Often, these misunderstandings go unnoticedand can have dire consequences. Likeing who you are is not often enough to better your economic situation, as employment can often hinge on playing well with others. Sequestering oneself to avoid certain overstimulati environments is very often highly inconvienient. And more...

So, yea...partially agree. Like who you are and all that. But aspergers is not that same as quirky or odd or peculiar or unique. It has very real difficulties, and some of them can be partially mitigated, or partially worked through with much effort, trial, and errors...it doesn't just go away.

Personally, I can "Be normal" for all intents and purposes. It's mental anguish doing it....and has taken me years of concerted effort to train and retrain my skillset. I've studied facial expressions, practiced using them in a mirror. Studied body language and learned body movements to convey my own subtle meanings. I explored pitch and tonal differences in speech patterns and practiced incorporating them into my own naturally monotonous voice....I've studied and memorized the meanings of metaphors and other similar nonlogic based verbal and written expressions. I practice these things daily, and have for years. So, for me, "Being normal" requires a HUGE amount of conscious effort. It's akin to a martial art, everything fluid, yet deliberate.

Even when relaxed and "Being myself" though...to pick up on tone/pitch, body language, or nonlitteral translations, I still have to puzzle it out, like solving a complex equation. I can do it, in almost real time because of the practice ive put in...but it takes mental energy, and will exhaust me in time. And still took years of focused effort to get to this point...and I've never found anything (legal...) that allows me to get past some complications from overstimulation or my synesthesia....

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2011, 8:29 am

You cannot "become NT" but you can adapt so well not to be diagnosable with AS once grown up (since you are not "impaired", just a bit different which is nothing bad).

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2011, 8:59 am

Peter Pan does not want to leave his Never Never Land. Aspergers has been regarded by some people as Peter Pan Syndrome. The body grows but the brain may remain in a childlike state permanently.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

19 May 2011, 10:22 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

On the other, though... That doesn't stop a critical breakdown in communication between you and other people. Often, these misunderstandings go unnoticedand can have dire consequences. Likeing who you are is not often enough to better your economic situation, as employment can often hinge on playing well with others. Sequestering oneself to avoid certain overstimulati environments is very often highly inconvienient. And more...

Yep, employment and other social situations pretty much demand "fitting in" and "being accepted", so you pretty much have to sacrifice parts of your "true self" if your "true self" sufficiently deviates from the acceptable norms if you want acceptable employment and social outcomes. For example, not getting fired... not failing a peer-graded college course...

(I still need to learn "what to fix" with the latter, as that was my experience. While I bought into that "Be yourself" line hook, line and sinker at the time, that really is hogwash if your "true self" is socially unacceptable for whatever reason in whatever critically important contexts.)

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2011, 10:31 am

People should accept us or they can go to hell. It is discrimination. You either accept us for who we are or go away. Enemies force us to change, friends and family accept us for being who we are.
You are either with or or against us?

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:03 pm

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
While I don't think it is possible to outgrow having Asperger's, I do think it's possible to develop coping mechanisms to make living with Asperger's easier. Take me as an example: I'm 22 years old, and while I do still have Asperger's, I've been able to learn enough social skills to get by, as well as self-management skills leaving me able to hold down a job and support myself. For me, this took a little extra work than the average NT, as I've had to study these skills like you would study historical facts, but it's helped me. With some effort and maturity, I think these are skills that any aspie can attain.

This is what i was going to say. I spoke to my mum last night and she said i was alot worse when i was younger and my symptoms were more noticiable, however i still have to deal with my issues i just don't show i have anymore by acting 'normal'.