Is it true some aspies are homicidal?

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:46 am

swbluto wrote:
Zen wrote:
Yeah, and I really hate that stereotype. The media just likes to sensationalize things, and they have done quite a lot to encourage the introverts-are-freaks mindset.

I wonder if that introverts-are-freaks mindset in the general media has anything to do with extroverts outnumbering introverts in the general population and, especially, in media companies?
I wouldn't be surprised if that makes a major contribution; but I think the main explanation is a lot simpler: People are afraid of the unknown. An introvert is someone who spends more time alone than most people, and often keeps his own counsel to a great degree. Because his thoughts and feelings are not as openly displayed as an extrovert's, people may become somewhat frightened because they do not know what he is thinking. In reality, of course, the introvert tends to think about his own hobbies and his small circle of close friends. He will also know himself better than an extrovert knows himself (just like the extrovert knows other people better than the introvert does).

But because people who are very extroverted do not know what he is thinking, it frightens them more when an introvert turns out to be homicidal than when an extrovert turns out to be homicidal. After all, if an extrovert kills someone, it is far more likely to be something that people could see coming--he'll display his anger, hostility, and general disdain for life rather openly, and people won't be surprised if they find he's knifed someone in a bar fight. Whereas, if the introvert kills someone, only that close circle of friends that he opens up to will have known something was wrong, and that makes it seem a lot more threatening, especially to the extreme extroverts that make up much of the journalism field.

Introversion/extroversion does not correlate with murder (though extroversion does correlate mildly with simple assault--again, these people spend more time with other people, and so would be more likely to have a person within reach to punch when they are angry, while an introvert would put a hole in a wall--I doubt this has anything to do with intrinsic morality; more to do with the fact that the extrovert spends more time with people and tends to express his emotions more freely, making him more likely to haul off and slug someone, but not more likely to kill them. What I read didn't look into this angle, but I am pretty sure that you would also find that introverts are more prone to crime which does not involve other people, such as arson, theft, etc., because they spend more time alone--it's all about the opportunity, really).

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:51 am

I just heard Loughner will be treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia so he's competent to stand trial.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:57 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I just heard Loughner will be treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia so he's competent to stand trial.

how exactly does that make him comptent to stand trial....I'm not following.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

He will be sent to a psychiatric facility where Psychiatrists will work on making him competent so he can help in his own defense. Until he can help, he cannot be tried.
His symptoms are interfering with his ability to help his trial lawyers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:07 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

He will be sent to a psychiatric facility where Psychiatrists will work on making him competent so he can help in his own defense. Until he can help, he cannot be tried.

Well I guess I can see that, but if the crime was commited while he was suffering from the symptoms of this condition then I would hope they take that into account when it comes time for the trial.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Well I guess I can see that, but if the crime was commited while he was suffering from the symptoms of this condition then I would hope they take that into account when it comes time for the trial.

Even if he is found not guilty by reason of insanity, he will be locked up for the rest of his life in a facility, at least that's what's reported on CNN.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:16 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Even if he is found not guilty by reason of insanity, he will be locked up for the rest of his life in a facility, at least that's what's reported on CNN.

Well if that turns out to be the best thing to do then its understandable......but whatever decision is made needs to be based on facts not peoples desire for revenge.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Well if that turns out to be the best thing to do then its understandable......but whatever decision is made needs to be based on facts not peoples desire for revenge.

Well, he did shoot somebody, Sweetleaf. There are plenty of people with Schizophrenia who never do that. Shouldn't he be held somewhat responsible?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:46 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Well, he did shoot somebody, Sweetleaf. There are plenty of people with Schizophrenia who never do that. Shouldn't he be held somewhat responsible?

I think I am aware of what took place.......all I am saying is the charges have to be based on fact. Depending on how much of a role the mental issues played in the crime would determine how much responsibility he should take. Obviously its not right to shoot people so there should be a penalty. And yes its quite likely keeping him somewhere, where he cannot cause harm to anyone else is the right thing to do.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Arizona has a law where someone can be found "Guilty but insane". This means that he would be sent to a secure hospital until he is "rendered sane" at which time he would be transferred to a prison.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:01 pm

bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Arizona has a law where someone can be found "Guilty but insane". This means that he would be sent to a secure hospital until he is "rendered sane" at which time he would be transferred to a prison.

Thanks for the info but what about the federal laws?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:06 pm

bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him. I can undertand having him sent to a secure mental hospital but I would not agree with prison. Also from my understanding before this whole thing took place people knew there was something going on with the guy and no one did anything about it(at least that is the picture I got from all the news articles and such).

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2011, 1:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him.

Yeah but it is Arizona.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:14 pm

bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him.

Yeah but it is Arizona.

That is no excuse.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yeah but it is Arizona.

That is no excuse.

I agree. I was just saying that Arizona has some messed up laws because a lot of the people living here are more emotional than logical.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him. I can undertand having him sent to a secure mental hospital but I would not agree with prison. Also from my understanding before this whole thing took place people knew there was something going on with the guy and no one did anything about it(at least that is the picture I got from all the news articles and such).

The courts won't release him to a prison until he is stabilized enough. I think it's a good idea. One thing for sure, he doesn't need to be released into society because he could relapse and kill someone else.