Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I just heard Loughner will be treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia so he's competent to stand trial.

how exactly does that make him comptent to stand trial....I'm not following.

He will be sent to a psychiatric facility where Psychiatrists will work on making him competent so he can help in his own defense. Until he can help, he cannot be tried.
His symptoms are interfering with his ability to help his trial lawyers.

Well I guess I can see that, but if the crime was commited while he was suffering from the symptoms of this condition then I would hope they take that into account when it comes time for the trial.

Arizona has a law where someone can be found "Guilty but insane". This means that he would be sent to a secure hospital until he is "rendered sane" at which time he would be transferred to a prison.

I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him. I can undertand having him sent to a secure mental hospital but I would not agree with prison. Also from my understanding before this whole thing took place people knew there was something going on with the guy and no one did anything about it(at least that is the picture I got from all the news articles and such).

The courts won't release him to a prison until he is stabilized enough. I think it's a good idea. One thing for sure, he doesn't need to be released into society because he could relapse and kill someone else.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:20 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
bergie wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I just heard Loughner will be treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia so he's competent to stand trial.

how exactly does that make him comptent to stand trial....I'm not following.

He will be sent to a psychiatric facility where Psychiatrists will work on making him competent so he can help in his own defense. Until he can help, he cannot be tried.
His symptoms are interfering with his ability to help his trial lawyers.

Well I guess I can see that, but if the crime was commited while he was suffering from the symptoms of this condition then I would hope they take that into account when it comes time for the trial.

Arizona has a law where someone can be found "Guilty but insane". This means that he would be sent to a secure hospital until he is "rendered sane" at which time he would be transferred to a prison.

I think that is a little bit ridiculous especially if he has Paranoid Schizophrenia......in that case it can't really be cured so prison would not be the appropriate place for him. I can undertand having him sent to a secure mental hospital but I would not agree with prison. Also from my understanding before this whole thing took place people knew there was something going on with the guy and no one did anything about it(at least that is the picture I got from all the news articles and such).

The courts won't release him to a prison until he is stabilized enough. I think it's a good idea. One thing for sure, he doesn't need to be released into society because he could relapse and kill someone else.

That's just the thing paranoid schizophrenia cannot be cured.....so there can be temporary stalization but not complete stablization so prison is not the right thing in my opinion.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:32 pm

You have to wonder.... Paranoid Schizophrenia doesn't automatically mean someone will be violent. Can his symptoms really account for the fact that he committed murders or is that something else, entirely? Sure he had symptoms, but he took it to another level.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
You have to wonder.... Paranoid Schizophrenia doesn't automatically mean someone will be violent. Can his symptoms really account for the fact that he committed murders or is that something else, entirely? Sure he had symptoms, but he took it to another level.

Well if you think I am suggesting that I think Paranoid Schizophrenia automatically makes one violent you are quite wrong. My point is more that is a pretty severe mental illness so a mental hospital would be a lot more appropriate then prision. Considering prison is a very harsh environment and could make matters worse.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2011, 2:38 pm

I think our entire way of thinking about crime is deeply flawed.

The vast majority of people are never going to murder anyone, no matter how much they think about it or feel like it.

Thus, those who do are by definition abnormal. And since we still have no idea why some people murder, we really have no right to judge.

So in my opinion, punishment should not be the goal. And this would include being incarcerated in an American prison (so inhuman that many Western countries refuse to extradite criminals to the US, citing cruel and unusual punishment).

I agree with segregating violent criminals from the general population, so as to prevent anyone else from being victimized. But the prison should be very humane, and prisoners should be protected from each other.

We would all be much better off focusing on prevention of crimes and studying convicted criminals to advance our understanding of why some people commit crimes, so we can better prevent them in the future.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 2:50 pm

ThomasL wrote:
I think our entire way of thinking about crime is deeply flawed.

The vast majority of people are never going to murder anyone, no matter how much they think about it or feel like it.

Thus, those who do are by definition abnormal. And since we still have no idea why some people murder, we really have no right to judge.

So in my opinion, punishment should not be the goal. And this would include being incarcerated in an American prison (so inhuman that many Western countries refuse to extradite criminals to the US, citing cruel and unusual punishment).

I agree with segregating violent criminals from the general population, so as to prevent anyone else from being victimized. But the prison should be very humane, and prisoners should be protected from each other.

We would all be much better off focusing on prevention of crimes and studying convicted criminals to advance our understanding of why some people commit crimes, so we can better prevent them in the future.

I think prison is where some deserve to be.....without protection from each other. But not mentally ill people that could possibly suffer worsening symptoms and lack of treatment.

Carotene
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2011, 6:33 am

Some people are just homicidal. Anyone who is bullied and picked on could become homicidal, regardless of whether or not they're NT or an Aspergian.

Anyone can become homicidal, for that matter, regardless of what happens in their life. I don't think there's a correlation between Asperger's and homicidal thoughts, though. On a case by case matter, maybe, but certainly not a majority...

And about the Columbine killers and VT, that's totally different. Anyone who is picked on can become introverted. They're a forced-introvert. Sure, they may be Aspergian, schizophrenic, or what have you, but it's just as possible that they're just a NT person pushed to the edge.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:36 am

im sure SOME are. i have had thoughts but they're mostly OCD thoughts and un-wanted or brought on by extreme stress, I hate violence of all kinds.