Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:35 am

tomboy4good wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
My interests are in armed forces, weapons, World War Two, conservatism, Boston (band), Electric Light Orchestra (band), and mostly railroading. I can tell you anything regarding those topics.

Small world! ELO used to be a special interest for me. Got into their music in the mid-70s. I think I had pretty much every album they made up through Balance of Power. But my favorites were On the Third Day, Face the Music, Eldorado, A New World Record, Out of the Blue, & Time. I liked the fuller sounds of the earlier albums (with the strings). But Time had a lot of great music too. Jeff Lynne was brilliant, but I detested the direction the group was headed in starting with Balance of Power. It just wasn't the same. I don't listen to their stuff that much anymore, but I still appreciate ELO's style. Through ELO, I also got into the Move, & a band called Idle Race. Yeah, I was pretty obsessed. :lol:

Tomboy

Any truth in the ELO back messages on vinyl?

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:27 am

My interest is in cats, royalty, especially the Romanovs, Stuarts, and the Spanish branches of Bourbon and Hapsburg.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 9:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
My interests are in armed forces, weapons, World War Two, conservatism, Boston (band), Electric Light Orchestra (band), and mostly railroading. I can tell you anything regarding those topics.

Small world! ELO used to be a special interest for me. Got into their music in the mid-70s. I think I had pretty much every album they made up through Balance of Power. But my favorites were On the Third Day, Face the Music, Eldorado, A New World Record, Out of the Blue, & Time. I liked the fuller sounds of the earlier albums (with the strings). But Time had a lot of great music too. Jeff Lynne was brilliant, but I detested the direction the group was headed in starting with Balance of Power. It just wasn't the same. I don't listen to their stuff that much anymore, but I still appreciate ELO's style. Through ELO, I also got into the Move, & a band called Idle Race. Yeah, I was pretty obsessed. :lol:

Tomboy

No clue, really. I thought that was more a Beatles thing.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:28 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:

Tomboy

No clue, really. I thought that was more a Beatles thing.

Electric Light Orchestra was accused of hiding a backward Satanic message in their 1974 album Eldorado. The title track, "Eldorado", was said to contain the message "He is the nasty one / Christ, you're infernal / It is said we're dead men / Everyone who has the mark will live."[30] ELO singer and songwriter Jeff Lynne responded by calling this accusation (and the related charge of being "devil-worshippers") "skcollob",[64] and stating that the message "is absolutely manufactured by whoever said, 'That's what it said.' It doesn't say anything of the sort."[70] The group included several backward messages in later albums in response to the accusations.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:57 pm

Mostly academic stuff... linguistics, literature, history, sciences (such as psychology, biology, anthropology, some physics here and there), philosophy, etc. Things along those lines (except for mathematics; I just like logic and patterns, basically.) I really like genetics.
I also like art in general (literature was mentioned above, but I also really love music, and paintings/sculptures/drawings/etc.) History of any of these subjects is interesting, as well. Just to throw that in there. I really like science history...

As far as "special interests" go, I have a mild "special interest" in Japan/Japanese language. It's only growing stronger the more I learn. And a disclaimer: I am not interested in anime or manga.

/egotism

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 11:36 pm

Mine always change and I always experience revivals of older ones.

Right now, its making a big list of people on the spectrum in my province between certian ages as well as a list of potential people who could be on this list (I know, its weird, have no idea why I do this), jet planes and airport related stuff, 2 certian boys, dubstep & glitch hop/wonky music, and getting more involved in the autism community.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 2:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Electric Light Orchestra was accused of hiding a backward Satanic message in their 1974 album Eldorado. The title track, "Eldorado", was said to contain the message "He is the nasty one / Christ, you're infernal / It is said we're dead men / Everyone who has the mark will live."[30] ELO singer and songwriter Jeff Lynne responded by calling this accusation (and the related charge of being "devil-worshippers") "skcollob",[64] and stating that the message "is absolutely manufactured by whoever said, 'That's what it said.' It doesn't say anything of the sort."[70] The group included several backward messages in later albums in response to the accusations.

I really don't like the direction you're going with this. ELO was simply a favorite band that I enjoyed listening to. You're asking the wrong person...I wasn't listening to them looking for a witch hunt or pro-satanic recordings. I don't remember them specifically being accused either but a lot of bands from the day were...so it's possible. That was some time ago, & my memory is pretty foggy. It's simple, I just enjoyed their music. I found many of the lyrics to be intriguing & I liked their style. It wasn't until I was a little older that I got into vinyl records. Never personally tested the theory by playing records backwards. I only had an inexpensive belt driven turntable, & wasn't about to break it or ruin any of my records. Is it possible? Maybe, but then again people see Jesus & His Mother Mary in potato chips, window reflections, & bark. I guess you can see or hear anything you want to if you search hard enough. :-) Many people thought rock & roll was pure evil from Elvis' debut forward. If you wish to test it, why not get yourself a turntable & some vinyl & check it out. Or at least, go check Wikipedia or something.

I'm done with this thread regarding ELO.

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 8:04 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I really don't like the direction you're going with this. ELO was simply a favorite band that I enjoyed listening to. You're asking the wrong person...I wasn't listening to them looking for a witch hunt or pro-satanic recordings. I don't remember them specifically being accused either but a lot of bands from the day were...so it's possible. That was some time ago, & my memory is pretty foggy. It's simple, I just enjoyed their music. I found many of the lyrics to be intriguing & I liked their style. It wasn't until I was a little older that I got into vinyl records. Never personally tested the theory by playing records backwards. I only had an inexpensive belt driven turntable, & wasn't about to break it or ruin any of my records. Is it possible? Maybe, but then again people see Jesus & His Mother Mary in potato chips, window reflections, & bark. I guess you can see or hear anything you want to if you search hard enough. :-) Many people thought rock & roll was pure evil from Elvis' debut forward. If you wish to test it, why not get yourself a turntable & some vinyl & check it out. Or at least, go check Wikipedia or something.

Tomboy

Apologies? I just posted that to show that Jeff Lynne denied the allegation. I have TDK tapes of ELO but never owned Vinyl, that's the only reason I asked :wink:

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2011, 10:12 pm

I had several ELO on 8-track (Ole Elo and Eldorado). As a lad I walked out of school and to my guardian's home during school hours. They asked me why I left school and I informed them that the teacher had said that the principal was "all ears" and that I was so troubled by that as I could not bear to see someone in that condition.

cyberdad wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Tomboy

Apologies? I just posted that to show that Jeff Lynne denied the allegation. I have TDK tapes of ELO but never owned Vinyl, that's the only reason I asked :wink:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:35 pm

My interest now is reading science fiction and fantasy books. It was an interest I had a couple years ago and it faded away as I became interested in other things but I'm now reviving it. Recently I've been reading novels by Clive Barker.

As far as portrayals of autism in the media I agree with what a lot of people on this forum have said about them being too stereotypical. I think giving your character an interest that isn't one of the stereotypical "special interests" (e.g. not dinosaurs or trains) is a good idea. :D

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:23 am

my name actually is Matthew, which I find to be an amusing coincidence.

anyway, my current hobby is knitting, before that it was making chainmail.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2011, 4:43 am

Solar thermal electricity generation
Filmography - not really current
Space colonization - not really current
Investing - somewhat current

As a kid-
Finances
Christianity
Molecular structures

arko5
Raven
Raven

29 May 2011, 6:49 am

My current interests are films (200/250 on IMDB list), psychology (which is awesome as I'm doing a degree in it) and computers (looking to build a new one soon). I've found the three things I need to develop an interest are 1. a challenge, 2. a clear goal I'm personally motivated to achieve, and 3. you can keep track of progress/see clear improvements. Anything that meets those 3 criteria will have me obsessing for hours. Easy example: rpgs, they're challenging as they are designed that way. I want a strong, optimised character (more important than beating the game) and you level up/gain skills to measure improvement. Can get hooked on a good rpg for quite a while. Avoiding WoW as I'd probably never stop playing.

As for media, this is a difficult one. I'd say looking to find something that accurately portrays autism/aspergers is like looking to find something that accurately portrays (e.g.) a chinese person. Autism is a spectrum and two individuals with the same disorder can be vastly different in reality. Thus any media portrayal can only show a character with aspergers (demonstrating certain aspects/traits etc). Taking this into account, there are three films I can think of that have autistic characters: Adam, Mary & Max and Rain Man. I've yet to see Adam so I can't comment. Mary & Max is an excellent film worth seeing anyway, Max (the aspergers character) had quite a few traits I could identify with, although they were possibly exaggerated a little. Rain man features the stereotypical autistic person, aka the idiot savant. I don't think anyone looking for a realistic portrayal of autism should watch this film, as savants really are the exception rather than the rule. However it's possibly worth seeing on it's own merits depending on your film preferences.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 7:12 am

Small world indeed. My dad has a record of ELO, I haven't listened to it but now that you mention it I think I am going to give it a try sometime soon. I heard some of their stuff before and they sound like a great band.

Back on topic, I had alot of interests over the years but one of them remained until now and is my main interest - Music. I love listening to music, songwriting, I play on the Piano and the Guitar and I have an mp3 player full of songs. Music is stuck in my head all the time actually.

When I was about 5 I was interested in cars, typical for a boy but the thing is I named every car whenever I saw one! later I forgot everything :)

When I was about 3rd grade my friend got me a book about georgraphy and I read it all resulting me knowing the names of all countries, etc. I also forgot about most of it, actually.

Later I was fascinated about Planes and Weapons and history, wanting to know all their names and stuff. That interest has died out eventually too.