Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2011, 8:32 pm

I would like to know what mathclass did you fail at? What grade level where you at and how did you feel after that?

I am a junior in highschool and I failed Algerbra 1 and I felt really stupid. My self esteem was terribly low at the time and I was wondering am I the only one who has failed a low mathclass like that? Now I am in no math class at all and I think that I am going back into a lower class. I was in special math classes for two years and I felt like I did not belong there. Later on I was put in that class did not do well and then I got out of there and only lasted in there for a semester. I never tell anyone what math class I am in becasue if I did they would make fun of me and say that I was stupid for being let out. I have ASD and I would like to know how do I get back in math or be prepared for next year better?

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2011, 9:23 pm

I failed my elementary school math class when I was younger. Now I am in advanced math classes. Get some help and study extra. Your not stupid. Everyone has things they are good at and other things there not so good at. Having a tutor will help also ask your teacher for extra help.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2011, 9:35 pm

I got a D- in Algebra. The teacher did not want to fail me because he could see that I really tried. I just couldn't get it. I took the class again and that time I got a B-.
Try to find a way to make the work less abstract. When I got into electronics I found using Algebra much easier, as the numbers I was using represented something.
Don't feel stupid. Some people have a harder time with math than others.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 10:28 pm

I've yet to fail a class (whew) but I did struggle/make the worst grades in math classes. In high school I struggled with Algebra, but managed due to having ungodly amounts of tutoring. I never did learn how to do proofs in Geometry, but I had a...lenient teacher so I got by fine. I did very badly in Trigonometry in college. I withdrew from the class once before taking it again.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 11:22 pm

I almost failed a math class in 5th grade. I had problems when it came time to trade papers with other students and grade the paper when the answers were read off. At least once, I suspected that the other student changed the answers I marked and said I graded it incorrectly when I marked wrong answers wrong, but I didn't know how to defend myself at the time. I think the other students knew I was susceptible to this ploy.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 1:25 pm

I was a straight C math student from the 2nd grade even up through college. All my other classes were A's... but math was never my friend. Weird though since I was really good at physics (A+!) but flunked math... my teacher could not understand this.

gish_vector
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2011, 1:43 am

Hey OP...is anyone helping you with it? Let me know if you have questions or a problem you need to solve. I am sure others on here would help as well. ^^ It can be tricky, but if you want to do well, find something you can apply it to and get interested in. :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:54 am

Well I managed to pass math in highschool......but I have yet to even pass a remidial math course in college. I am worried that if I choose to get a degree I wont be able to because of math. I mean I am horrible at it to begin with not to mention the event that caused my PTSD took place while I was in math class so math is a bit of a trigger.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:14 pm

I got straight A's in all math classes all during high school. Then I promptly failed the same first-year college math course, three years in a row (after that first fail I learned to drop this class before the deadline, so it never showed up as three fails). Eventually my sister told me that I could take this particular class at a different college, and I passed it when I did that. I guess some combination of the teacher, the lecture hall, the other students, and the types of tests they gave made me fail it over and over, when I wasn't stupid to begin with.

The same thing happened to me with physics. I failed high-school physics twice, despite tutoring, and then tried to take it in summer school with a different teacher in a different school. In summer school I got A+ in the same course. No one could understand this.

Similar circumstances with English and Chemistry. It got to the point that I learned whenever I wasn't doing well in a course, I should re-take it somewhere else instead of taking it again in the same place. Apparently, I am very sensitive to the teacher and the class setting. Something about particular teachers was short-circuiting my brain. To this day, no one believes me or has any explanation for that.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:18 pm

I almost failed 8th grade math because I was really lazy in that class.

For both my algebra classes in high school, I made a failing grade in one of the six week terms, so I had to really work hard the rest of the semester to bring my grade up to pass the class for the year.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 3:01 pm

I didn't do too bad in algebra 1. I barely passed geometry because I was never able to finish my quizzes and tests. I would have failed algebra 2 because I didn't do the work but I got a 98% on the final exam. What do you think of that, Mrs. Jarface? Isn't it sad the kid who doesn't listen to you does the best in the whole class?

Duez
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2011, 8:55 pm

I've always done really well in math and only math. Im taking Algebra and Chemistry right now and seem to be ahead of most of my class in both.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

I've been failing third (final undergraduate) year university level math. It's really embarrassing as I've always been really good at it at high school and above average in first and second year. I'm doing it as a second major (Chemistry is my first and I've never had problems with it). While I'm able to graduate from my degree with just my chemistry major, at any time, I delayed graduate studies in chemistry to do this second major and I don't want to go onto grad studies without it as my potential supervisors have all been supportive of my decision to do this second major first.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 7:23 am

Failed nearly every math class I've taken since 6th grade. Barely managed to scrape by with ludicrous amounts of tutoring for my college remedials.. and then i took one with Financial math and it all made sense and i got an A..

I sympathize entirely..

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

It's really common for aspies to have trouble with algebra, especially if you're verbose. I'm not sure why this is, unless it has something to do with brain structure. It might help to remember that all math is a human construction and is no more real than a painting. So don't let it get a power over you.

A lot of people can learn things they're not good at by simply memorizing the steps for how to do it, without trying to understand it. The memorizing part is usually easier for aspies, since most aspies are smarter than NTs. The second part can be challenging, since it's natural to want to understand something you're learning. You can eventually understand it, but not until you've been doing it for years. Sort of like learning a language.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
It's really common for aspies to have trouble with algebra, especially if you're verbose. I'm not sure why this is, unless it has something to do with brain structure. It might help to remember that all math is a human construction and is no more real than a painting. So don't let it get a power over you.

A lot of people can learn things they're not good at by simply memorizing the steps for how to do it, without trying to understand it. The memorizing part is usually easier for aspies, since most aspies are smarter than NTs. The second part can be challenging, since it's natural to want to understand something you're learning. You can eventually understand it, but not until you've been doing it for years. Sort of like learning a language.
I actually get the understanding part a lot. Although I focus a lot of my attetion on that.