Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
It's really common for aspies to have trouble with algebra, especially if you're verbose. I'm not sure why this is, unless it has something to do with brain structure. It might help to remember that all math is a human construction and is no more real than a painting. So don't let it get a power over you.

A lot of people can learn things they're not good at by simply memorizing the steps for how to do it, without trying to understand it. The memorizing part is usually easier for aspies, since most aspies are smarter than NTs. The second part can be challenging, since it's natural to want to understand something you're learning. You can eventually understand it, but not until you've been doing it for years. Sort of like learning a language.
I actually get the understanding part a lot. Although I focus a lot of my attetion on that.

Sparrow40k
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2013, 4:06 am

This is Australian ROSA marking system;
But in Maths I got B7 - Kinda just means B

reneeirena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2013, 5:01 am

I failed last year miserably so I have no idea how I'll pass my A levels this year... I don't have any problems with class assignments or homework but I can't do tests at all. I need extra time for math exams because I can't focus enough even to finish the first page. I should ask for extra time on the actual As, but I don't know if they'll let me...

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 8:19 am

if you've got a diagnosis of Apsergers, Autism, or a learning Disability, or even an anxiety disorder, extra time is usually something they will offer, as is a secluded, or solitary testing area.. That's both things my school offers anyway..

lookman3733
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2013, 12:13 am

i did until i got to high school

Arrow

14 Jan 2013, 8:31 am

I struggled with math in last years of High School... it was my worst subject.. and I never understood why I can't get it though I work much more than others...

I almost failed in college math. I felt quite dumb at it and now I know why... I especially struggled with theory, from which I got 0 out of 10. The thing that saved me was practical application... and so I ended up with the final 5 out of 10.
I think the lecture was structured in a dumb manner... who cares if you know the theory when you can apply the concepts in practice?..

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2013, 9:07 am

11th grade, I got 42% for higher grade maths. In South Africa, the pass mark is 30%. But my 11th grade math teacher wasn't that good. In the 12th grade, my new math teacher was the head of the department. At the end of the 12th grade, my maths mark was 77%.

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm

I did! have as Dyscalculia as well as AS.

AQ:45