Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2006, 7:18 pm

I need some advice in going faster with regards to my hygene and 'self-serving' skills, such as washing, shaving, eating and going to sleep. I consistently (and unintentionally) daze in and out, which makes me slllllooooooooooooowwwww in performing these tasks. It frustrates me, because it whittles away my time, plus it drives my family nuts in the mornings.

Also, any suggestions as to how to talk like a sincere person, and not being predanctic or 'know-all'; It seems that because of my odd spech that I'm being ostrasized and labelled as 'strange' 'dodgy'and 'arrogant', even from family members and people who have known me for a while.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 8:33 pm

WhiteRaven_214 wrote:
I need some advice in going faster with regards to my hygene and 'self-serving' skills, such as washing, shaving, eating and going to sleep. I consistently (and unintentionally) daze in and out, which makes me slllllooooooooooooowwwww in performing these tasks. It frustrates me, because it whittles away my time, plus it drives my family nuts in the mornings.

Sorry, no tips - I'm in desperate need of some myself ...

I'm glad I'm not alone though.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 12:48 am

WhiteRaven_214 wrote:

Also, any suggestions as to how to talk like a sincere person, and not being predanctic or 'know-all'; It seems that because of my odd spech that I'm being ostrasized and labelled as 'strange' 'dodgy'and 'arrogant', even from family members and people who have known me for a while.

Join the Military!

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 2:49 am

I used to be able to eat really fast. But then I started needing to be able to read while I was eating. You can eat fast if you are doing nothing while eating or watching TV while eating but not reading...

I'm sorry I don't think I can help you. I ate really fast because I just did. I could do it again if I wasn't reading.

I take absurdly long showers. When I had a job I couldn't do that, although my showers were still too long somehow (they were always like 30 minutes) and I have no idea how to cut them under that. I think I do the same thing you do. I step in. I grab the (whatever), I think to myself uh oh...this, and then fifteen minutes have passed and I haven't done anything. My advise on how not to do that is I don't know. Sorry! You can cut it down by (trying) to jump in, clean up, and jump out, although I have this thing in my mind which says: STAND IN THE HOT SHOWER FOR TWENTY MINUTES. But that advice won't eliminate all those times when you start your mind starts going crazy or you blank out. I don't think I can get rid of that "default setting" either.

Shaving? I hate shaving and have a beard. Which I also don't like although it probably looks OK when I bother to trim it which I barely ever do because I hate doing it.

Going to sleep? That's the easiest for me because I take Seroquel (sleeping pills). There was a time when I could sleep but eventually I became an insomniac and could never sleep. Now I take a sleeping pill (although that probably isn't what Seroquel is primarily) and I sleep. Although if your a mess in the morning and I am not sure if I will ever return to a normal sleeping pattern again minus the pills.

Sorry for the lack of tips. I think alot of people here have these problems. Good luck!

Z
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2006, 3:54 am

For showering, perhaps trying showering in the cold, then you won't be tempted to stay in. In fact you'll probably want to get out really fast.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 5:45 am

Z wrote:
For showering, perhaps trying showering in the cold, then you won't be tempted to stay in. In fact you'll probably want to get out really fast.

No way!
If room temp water touches me, I will stop breathing and my ears will ring for half an hour. You could probably kill me with a sprayer on a garden hose here in IN, where the tap water temp is in the high 60s. I wouldn't be thinking about a shower. I would be in adrenaline based survival mode, almost instantly.

Z
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2006, 6:10 am

What do you do when it rains?

Or when you have to drink water?

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 6:36 am

I can pour cold water down my throat ... no problem. Just can't touch me on the outside, although my palms and fingertips can take it.

When it rains I wear thick clothing or layers of clothing and try to avoid going out into it. Hat is a must! Also carry an oversize black garbage bag with me (always!), folded into my wallet (only slightly bigger than 5 bills folded together after the air is squeezed out), to turn into a pancho if I need to. There are ways of dealing with stuff if you want to enjoy life.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 7:06 am

That just depends on you.

I'm sorry I can't help you out in any way.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2006, 3:00 pm

I just concentrate and get it all done as quickly as possible. I used to take long showers many years ago, but since I am eternally running late due to sleeping in I have ended up perfecting the superquick shower.

Generally go into bathroom first thing after waking up, turn on shower, then take a quick wiz (while the shower heats up) then quickly undress and jump in, get myself and hair wet enough, takes around 30-40 seconds, then whip out the shower gel, give generous dollop to hand and step out of the main shower flow for a moment while I quickly apply all over most of my body, then step back in the shower and rinse it all off. Whole thing should be about 4-5 minutes, though I can do it in about 3 minutes if I'm in a real rush and go super quick. This is the basic everyday morning shower for me.

Then every second or third day I will wash my hair (I have short hair and use wax so need to clean it out regularly) this will blow out the time to around 7 minutes or maybe a tad longer.

On the weekend or sometimes after a long day I will have a shower after work that isn't rushed and I can spend a bit longer having a thorough clean.

The main problem that you have as far as I can see, is that you are day dreaming, which is easily done and kills time like crazy. The best method that I use to combat this is to get up and have a shower as soon as I get out of bed, this way I am still half asleep and my brain hasn't had time to kick in yet, though there is the risk of falling asleep, so if I'm still really tired I will jump in while it's still cold, that wakes me up enough.

Another thing that's important is the routine, try and keep to the same routine each day, wake up same time, do everything more or less the same so then you know how long everything takes. When I first went to change from long to short showers, I used an alarm clock to time me, then later I hit on the idea of using music, I know put on songs that I know how long they last and then I can time how long I have been. Now I dont need anything, I just know how long it's been, in fact it's often been less time than I thought.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 4:01 pm

I am a lot like you when it comes to my morning routine.

What is a "quick wiz?"

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 10:42 pm

Quote:

I used to be able to eat really fast. But then I started needing to be able to read while I was eating. You can eat fast if you are doing nothing while eating or watching TV while eating but not reading...

I can't eat without reading either. However, unlike you, I eat faster when I read, because if I don't have a book, I lose my focus on eating because of
1. Frustration at having no book.
2. My eyes darting all over the place looking for something with information on it.
3. My hands trying to flap/wring/twiddle.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 1:41 am

who-am-I.......I think I have the cerial boxs memorized from childhood(we were not allowed books)I am a very slow eater but its not from spacing out.I have to have the food completly chewed ,any roughness hurts my throat.I have had family and boyfriends count my chews to make fun of me (get a life folks)actually, this is very healthy habit,eapecially as I have IBS...so, there...you heartless chew counters...

To get back on topic(sorry),I think that unless you ar outside in heat,exercising,or have a very physical job....you dont need to shower everyday(I"m sure the soap industry would lench me for this heresy,)but, America, especially is a nurotically clean nation....eeewww, a germ, got on me...get over it....bath and wash your cloths if they look really dirty or smell, and dont sell your souls to Proctor and Gamble(some of you are flinching right now...but I do strongly recommend showering based on SMELL, so I'm not giving any lea way to those hippys who think its natural to "stink", its as offensive to my nose as perfume.

You could also change the times you shower or shave to ...when you arn't competing for the bathroom with family members....before bed,in the afternoon.

I liked the "timer" idea...you could set it for every few minutes to wake your self out of your revelry...the sound is so annoying to me(cooking timers)It would probably end up working to speed me up just to avoid the sound ,think aversion therapy. (which is only ethical if the person who wants to "avert" picks it themselves.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2006, 1:42 am

my showers are prob 10-15min, middle of the road
I cant stay in there *too * long or else my feet hurt whic h is a great incentive to get out

if i wanna take a really quick 5 min shower if im late for something i visaluze what i will do in what order etc when i get in there before i get in so i can concetrate only on doing that and nothing else. and skip washing my hair too.

Kate

lae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 12:58 pm

Can you handle alarms? I have to set an alarm for when I'm showering and getting ready for work. A kitchen timer can work for this too. The downside is it can startle the he** out of you.

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2006, 7:49 pm

Fortunately, I don't wash or shave every day, because I don't seem to have the time. I do chores or go to a technical college by day, and at night I study or shift work.

The 'egg' timer is a good incentive; my mother bought one for me so that I can time myself. Usually I'm only allowed in for 10 minutes, but often it doesn't go according to plan. I recently bought myself an alarm clock for my bedroom which gives an unpleasent buzz, but I assure you that it keeps buzzing for quite some time!