Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2011, 3:17 pm

twix wrote:
Quote:
the average IQ among black people is 85

I am sure that this is not true. The studies that showed this many years ago have been shown to be unreliable, based on biased data to prove the pre-existing racist views of those researchers.

I had about the same reaction. I'm not comfortable with just saying the average IQ of specific races is different. I believe it leads to bigotry. Looking it up though it seems the average IQ gap of various races is real. The IQ gap of individual members of different races is not. People fall all along the IQ spectrum whatever their race happens to be. This tells me that the average IQ gap isn't actually because of race, but because of other external factors that the culture of the member's race plays a part of, such as education. It's complicated though. There isn't one contributing factor to it. The gap is actually getting smaller as time goes on.

I read it on the internet so it must be true!

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 3:24 pm

Seph wrote:
twix wrote:
Quote:
the average IQ among black people is 85

I am sure that this is not true. The studies that showed this many years ago have been shown to be unreliable, based on biased data to prove the pre-existing racist views of those researchers.

I had about the same reaction. I'm not comfortable with just saying the average IQ of specific races is different. I believe it leads to bigotry. Looking it up though it seems the average IQ gap of various races is real. The IQ gap of individual members of different races is not. People fall all along the IQ spectrum whatever their race happens to be. This tells me that the average IQ gap isn't actually because of race, but because of other external factors that the culture of the member's race plays a part of, such as education. It's complicated though. There isn't one contributing factor to it. The gap is actually getting smaller as time goes on.

I read it on the internet so it must be true!

I think in a way, especially for Blacks because of the history they went through, most of them didn't learn how to read and write. But you are right, its not just because of their race alone or anyone's race. I think disability can affect anyone regardless of race or even age, gender, sexuality and even religion... it just depends on how you look at things.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

twix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2011, 1:29 pm

I had an idea...

A lot of ADHD kids and other kids that for various reasons haven't been at school have done really really well at online education. Maybe you could pick a subject you like and find an online study program you can do at your own pace and without having to go to college?

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 2:30 pm

twix wrote:
I had an idea...

A lot of ADHD kids and other kids that for various reasons haven't been at school have done really really well at online education. Maybe you could pick a subject you like and find an online study program you can do at your own pace and without having to go to college?

One problem for me:

iheartmegahitt wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:
College can be a lot less scary for agoraphobes because there is always an escape route. There is always some empty classroom or corner or library where you can get away. You can come and go as you please at all times, even leaving any class without an excuse. You can take as many or as few classes as you want. Then, there is always the option of taking college courses online. Also you can drop courses that you don't like, although there is a deadline after which you can't get your money back. Although it ultimately took me seven years to get a 3-year degree, part-time, it was not an upsetting experience like high school was. There is very little to make you feel trapped in college.

*sigh* But its still hard for me. It's not so much agoraphobia but I hate being away from home. As far as online colleges, money can be a problem for me and also my parents as well... I am extremely forgetful and I could easily forget about the online college after a few days. I hardly check my email for reminders and I also get to the point where I get tired of doing something involving online college. It would not be easy for me and my anxiety itself is so severe that I could break down instantly without any warnings. I've had rough times in school, bad experiences so terrible that its left me unable to go because of the emotional abuse from elementary, being rejected, no one eharing what I NEEDED to get through the hardships, that I would literally scream at my mother to let me stay home. She would have to come into my room four or five times until she was screaming at me to get out of bed. I used to always wish that she would over sleep and I would get to stay home and not go.

Do you still think online/community college would help me? Not even. There was way too much stress for me to handle.

I know what my problems are and I've seen from experiences and how they work. So I know when something is just going to fail for me.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2011, 3:03 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
One problem for me:

iheartmegahitt wrote:
As far as online colleges, money can be a problem for me and also my parents as well... I am extremely forgetful and I could easily forget about the online college after a few days. I hardly check my email for reminders and I also get to the point where I get tired of doing something involving online college.

I know what my problems are and I've seen from experiences and how they work. So I know when something is just going to fail for me.

I do that too. Start an online course and do it for a few days and never log back on. I don't know how many half finished courses I've started but it doesn't take a genius to see the pattern. I'm sure you can find something eventually to do though. I believe in you.

twix

27 May 2011, 3:11 pm

Sorry must have missed that, well I do have adhd lol!!

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:05 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
As far as online colleges, money can be a problem for me and also my parents as well... I am extremely forgetful and I could easily forget about the online college after a few days. I hardly check my email for reminders and I also get to the point where I get tired of doing something involving online college.

The reason people forget stuff is that they have other things they have to do. In your case, it looks like you don't have anything to do anyway. So I don't see why you will "forget" about online college. IF YOU TAKE IT SERIOUSLY then you will not forget it since that would be the number one thing in your life.

I mean if you realize that online college will SOLVE A LOT OF YOUR PROBLEMS *if* you will succeed, then I don't see how you will forget. It seems like you DON"T forget to log on this thread and talk about your problems. The only reason you will forget online college is that you feel that it "doesn't matter anyway" since you have already given up on yourself. This, in fact, sounds like your attitude.

From the outside perspective it seems like your having given up on yourself is your MAIN problem. I am not denying other issues. But they can be worked on IF you try. It seems like you don't want to try since you have already made up your mind you will fail at everything.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:11 pm

Roman wrote:
iheartmegahitt wrote:

The reason people forget stuff is that they have other things they have to do. In your case, it looks like you don't have anything to do anyway. So I don't see why you will "forget" about online college. IF YOU TAKE IT SERIOUSLY then you will not forget it since that would be the number one thing in your life.

I mean if you realize that online college will SOLVE A LOT OF YOUR PROBLEMS *if* you will succeed, then I don't see how you will forget. It seems like you DON"T forget to log on this thread and talk about your problems. The only reason you will forget online college is that you feel that it "doesn't matter anyway" since you have already given up on yourself. This, in fact, sounds like your attitude.

From the outside perspective it seems like your having given up on yourself is your MAIN problem. I am not denying other issues. But they can be worked on IF you try. It seems like you don't want to try since you have already made up your mind you will fail at everything.

If I do anything, its going to be having my stories published. I never said I wasn't going to try other things. I mean is it so bad that maybe college and getting a job is hard for me? No, it shouldn't be. But I am a writer, as well as writing my own stories. I don't think I need to go to college if it causes me lots of stress and anxiety.

There ARE things that I do. I have friends on facebook, I have a boyfriend to come on too. I write on a daily basis and I don't want to waste my time adding something to my routine that is going to make things worse for me in a more emotional sense.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:15 pm

Seph wrote:
I had about the same reaction. I'm not comfortable with just saying the average IQ of specific races is different. I believe it leads to bigotry. Looking it up though it seems the average IQ gap of various races is real. The IQ gap of individual members of different races is not.

And I never said anything about "individual members". I was only speaking of averages in my original post about black IQ.

As far as I am aware, I don't think there is anyone who will say "every single black person has low IQ", unless that person is Hitler or something like that. What happens is that "politically correct" people don't like to admit that averages are different among whites and blacks, so they try to lump together the statement about averages with the statement about "every single black". That way they can dismiss whatever they don't like by lumping it together with something that can be disproven a lot more easily.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:26 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
If I do anything, its going to be having my stories published.

What are these stories about? Are they fiction, or are they reality stories?

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I never said I wasn't going to try other things. I mean is it so bad that maybe college and getting a job is hard for me? No, it shouldn't be.

It is bad for several reasons:

1. How can you have any kind of sense of self esteem if you don't contribute anything to society and haven't succeed in anything?

2. Suppose you will regret not going to college several years later. You won't be able to get these several years back

3. Your parents are not going to be alive at some point, who will support you then?

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I don't think I need to go to college if it causes me lots of stress and anxiety.

As was pointed out to you, online college is one way to avoid stress and anxiety. You then brought up "forgetfullness" which is a completely different issue altogether. So it feels like you have your mind made up and you are looking for reasons to stick to your mindset, whether these reasons are right or wrong.

Perhaps the real reason you don't want college is a combination of your sense of failure as well as your need for routine. As far as routine is concerned, if you do online college regularly that will BECOME your routine. So it will ONLY be "violation of routine" during first few days. Later on, it will be PART of a routine. This is another reason why you won't forget it. You don't forget your routines.

iheartmegahitt wrote:
There ARE things that I do. I have friends on facebook, I have a boyfriend to come on too.

Even though you have these things, you have admitted it in this very post that you are not happy with yourself. I mean, if you were happy, why would you care if you are "metally ret*d" enough to make a thread about it? Now, doing online college will help you feel more productive and less "ret*d" as you put it.

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I write on a daily basis and I don't want to waste my time adding something to my routine that is going to make things worse for me in a more emotional sense.

College will also make it BETTER for you on "emotional level". If you succeed in college, you wouldn't be feeling that you are "mentally ret*d", so you will address the issue that you brought up in this thread, in a PRODUCTIVE way.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:52 pm

I'm done explaining this. No one ever understands either way. I don't know why bother even trying. I try to explain the best I can I get kicked.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2011, 2:34 am

Roman wrote:
Seph wrote:
I had about the same reaction. I'm not comfortable with just saying the average IQ of specific races is different. I believe it leads to bigotry. Looking it up though it seems the average IQ gap of various races is real. The IQ gap of individual members of different races is not.

And I never said anything about "individual members". I was only speaking of averages in my original post about black IQ.

As far as I am aware, I don't think there is anyone who will say "every single black person has low IQ", unless that person is Hitler or something like that. What happens is that "politically correct" people don't like to admit that averages are different among whites and blacks, so they try to lump together the statement about averages with the statement about "every single black". That way they can dismiss whatever they don't like by lumping it together with something that can be disproven a lot more easily.

I hope that you don't think that I think you're racist by what I posted. I felt that your purpose was to encourage the OP and I was going to let the statement slide. Since someone else called the statement out, I was interested to see if it was true. You were right with what you said about the average IQs. Since some one else seemed interested in the topic by calling the statement out I decided to post what I did. I do stand by what I said.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2011, 2:38 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:
If I do anything, its going to be having my stories published. I never said I wasn't going to try other things. I mean is it so bad that maybe college and getting a job is hard for me? No, it shouldn't be. But I am a writer, as well as writing my own stories. I don't think I need to go to college if it causes me lots of stress and anxiety.

I'm trying to write a book myself. I end up just staring at a blank screen or browsing the internet. You do seem to be a good writer.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 5:28 am

I think you type too well to be mentally ret*d...

AvedonWindPunch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2011, 5:05 am

Cyanide wrote:
I think you type too well to be mentally ret*d...

I am completely in agreement with Bison on this one.

First things first, you definitely have anxiety issues. I'm not a doctor but I experience it myself. I don't mean to play down your problems, because they are real problems and they are hard to deal with, but thats the point, deal with them. You are able to express yourself fluently through the written word, and I suspect this is because you are experiencing any anxiety. You can be alone and safe and think clearly and fluidly. Thats just normal. You have been told you have all this s**t wrong with you and you have poor self esteem. You give up trying to do certain things because you think every one else finds it so easy, so its easier for you to just give up and tell yourself that you're incapable of ever doing these things.

I have a friend who suffered a serious brain injury. It does affect him in some ways, but he is one of the most quick witted people I have ever know, or am ever likely to meet. He's a supervisor, hell, its a better job than I have, and he manages his life far better than me. I have an IQ above average but what the f**k does that mean? Means at the time, I coped well enough and was confident enough to jump through a few proverbial hoops in order to gain someone's approval. What about your own approval? Are you satisfied with the effort you've made in life being just 21 years of age?

So what if you watch kids cartoons, so do I. I don't feel any need to conform to anything the simple minded society I live within decides I am to conform to. Besides, they are arguably more intellectual than most things housewives watch on tv. So you like plushies, so what? Forget about it.

Lastly, if you had poor reasoning and cognitive ability, do you think you'd be able to identify issues that you have and try to reason what they are?

Stop letting people label and define you as inferior.