Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:38 am

appletheclown wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
This might be surprising, but there's a stigma against men being cheated by their spouses here, especially if it was happening for a long time.
"He got horns" / "she gave him horns" = he's donkey and unaware idiot, are the 2 versions of the idiom used for them. This idiom is never used for women getting cheated.
By social standards:
If a woman gets cheated, she's the victim indeed.
If a man gets cheated, he's an idiot, lacks manhood and somehow deserves it.

That's where the term "cockold" comes from... a man whose woman is unfaithful is less than a man - a laughing stock.

Never heard that... sounds like a bunch of hogwash.

No it's not

Cuckold is the term

It's not commonly used these days but has been around hundreds of years

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:42 am

BanjoGirl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

By social standards:

If a man gets cheated where I live he is considered a victim too, and there is a lot of gossiping about his wife. The same happens if the cheater is the husband, a lot of people gossips about him.

Gossiping about the cheater exists here for both but i was talking about the cheated side.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:51 am

nessa238 wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
This might be surprising, but there's a stigma against men being cheated by their spouses here, especially if it was happening for a long time.
"He got horns" / "she gave him horns" = he's donkey and unaware idiot, are the 2 versions of the idiom used for them. This idiom is never used for women getting cheated.
By social standards:

That's where the term "cockold" comes from... a man whose woman is unfaithful is less than a man - a laughing stock.

No it's not

Cuckold is the term

I'm not talking about the term itself, I am speaking of the stigma that created it. Me a laughing stalk because my wife cheated on me? That is a load of rubbish, she's the one that committed the infidelity. In marriage, strive to be Semper Fidelis (always faithful).

Learn to speak another language, it will help you whether it seems like it or not! :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 7:20 am

appletheclown wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
By social standards:

No it's not

Cuckold is the term

I'm not talking about the term itself, I am speaking of the stigma that created it. Me a laughing stalk because my wife cheated on me? That is a load of rubbish, she's the one that committed the infidelity. In marriage, strive to be Semper Fidelis (always faithful).

Learn to speak another language, it will help you whether it seems like it or not! :lol:

Cuckold derives from the cuckoo bird, alluding to the alleged habit of the female in changing its mate frequently and authentic (in some species) practice of laying its eggs in other nests within its community.[2][3] The association is common in medieval folklore, literature, and iconography. The original old English was "kukewold". It was borrowed from Old French "cuccault", which was made up of "cuccu" (old French for the cuckoo bird itself) plus the pejorative suffix – "ault", indicating the named person was being taken advantage of as by a cuckoo bird.
English usage first appears about 1250 in the satirical and polemical poem "The Owl and the Nightingale" (l. 1544). The term was clearly regarded as embarrassingly direct, as evident in John Lydgate's "Fall of Princes" (ca. 1440). In the late 14th century, the term also appeared in Geoffrey Chaucer's Miller's Tale.[3] Shakespeare's poetry often referenced cuckolds, with several of his characters suspected they had become one.[3]

The female equivalent cuckquean first appears in English literature in 1562, adding a female suffix to the "cuck". One often overlooked subtlety of the word is that it implies that the husband is deceived, that he is unaware of his wife's unfaithfulness and may not know until the arrival or growth of a child plainly not his (as with Cuckoo birds.)[4] Another word, wittol, which substitutes "wete" (meaning witting or knowing) for the first part of the word, designates a man aware of and reconciled to his wife's infidelity and first appears in 152

Metaphor and symbolism

In Western traditions, cuckolds have sometimes been described as "wearing the horns of a cuckold" or just "wearing the horns". This is an allusion to the mating habits of stags, who forfeit their mates when they are defeated by another male.[6] (See the Italian insult cornuto). In French, the term is porter des cornes, which is used by Molière to describe someone whose consort has been unfaithful. Rebelais wrote the Tiers Livers of Gargantua and Pantagruel in 1546, by which time the symbol of the horns was "so well-known and over-used that the author could barely avoid making reference to it.

source: wiki

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 7:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
By social standards:

No it's not

Cuckold is the term

Cuckold derives from the cuckoo bird, alluding to the alleged habit of the female in changing its mate frequently and authentic (in some species) practice of laying its eggs in other nests within its community.[2][3] The association is common in medieval folklore, literature, and iconography. The original old English was "kukewold". It was borrowed from Old French "cuccault", which was made up of "cuccu" (old French for the cuckoo bird itself) plus the pejorative suffix – "ault", indicating the named person was being taken advantage of as by a cuckoo bird.
English usage first appears about 1250 in the satirical and polemical poem "The Owl and the Nightingale" (l. 1544). The term was clearly regarded as embarrassingly direct, as evident in John Lydgate's "Fall of Princes" (ca. 1440). In the late 14th century, the term also appeared in Geoffrey Chaucer's Miller's Tale.[3] Shakespeare's poetry often referenced cuckolds, with several of his characters suspected they had become one.[3]

The female equivalent cuckquean first appears in English literature in 1562, adding a female suffix to the "cuck". One often overlooked subtlety of the word is that it implies that the husband is deceived, that he is unaware of his wife's unfaithfulness and may not know until the arrival or growth of a child plainly not his (as with Cuckoo birds.)[4] Another word, wittol, which substitutes "wete" (meaning witting or knowing) for the first part of the word, designates a man aware of and reconciled to his wife's infidelity and first appears in 152

Metaphor and symbolism

In Western traditions, cuckolds have sometimes been described as "wearing the horns of a cuckold" or just "wearing the horns". This is an allusion to the mating habits of stags, who forfeit their mates when they are defeated by another male.[6] (See the Italian insult cornuto). In French, the term is porter des cornes, which is used by Molière to describe someone whose consort has been unfaithful. Rebelais wrote the Tiers Livers of Gargantua and Pantagruel in 1546, by which time the symbol of the horns was "so well-known and over-used that the author could barely avoid making reference to it.

source: wiki

Still sounds like rubbish. I would never be laughed at for my wife cheating on me, because the man she was cheating with would get his arse kicked.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 8:10 am

advertising of good genes?

Dan_Vincze
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Still sounds like rubbish. I would never be laughed at for my wife cheating on me, because the man she was cheating with would get his arse kicked.

There's an unwritten rule of society that says anyone can be mocked for any reason in the right circumstances.
Good luck with that arse-kicking thing.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Dan_Vincze wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

There's an unwritten rule of society that says anyone can be mocked for any reason in the right circumstances.

I guess people could make fun of anything, people make fun of us afterall..... :roll:

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Dan_Vincze wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

I guess people could make fun of anything, people make fun of us afterall..... :roll:

Regardless, anyone causing my wife to cheat would still get their arse-kicked, whether it was funny or not.