Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:10 am

So I've been doing a lot of research into nutrition recently (in case you couldn't tell). One of the things I've come across is that every CNS I can find working in the public eye recommends raw milk (of a certain quality) over pasteurized milk.

Most of the arguments (especially those that come from the CDC) for pasteurized milk tend to come from the fact that cows raised inhumanely can't produce milk fit for human consumption raw, so obviously I like that about raw milk (that being that the milk is required to come from cows that are bred and raised properly and requires the person who buys it to know that) and contamination after it's milked (which you can actually say about things like apple juice or, oh yeah, pasteurized milk).

So what are your personal experiences with raw milk? Has anyone done any in depth research into the matter (not five minute internet research that comes from a dietitian)? If I do end up drinking raw milk, what questions should I ask? Is it better to just say, "Screw it!" and just buy grass fed organic milk (pasteurized)? Do the helpful bacteria in raw milk (from properly raised cows) really kill the harmful bacteria?

My mom used to drink raw milk with no ill effect, but other than that, I don't think I know anyone that drinks it, and I certainly don't know anyone that's studied raw milk.

tSunshineLove
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2011, 4:15 am

I have been drinking raw milk for years (whenever I can afford it). It's something like $8 a half gallon here in California, but at least it's legal to buy in the stores, unlike the rest of the country, from what I hear.

I'm not a dietitian, but I think it's awesome. It's supposed to have probiotics and the enzyme that helps lactose intolerant people, er, tolerate.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:17 am

I'd love to try some, I don't think it's a done thing round here though.

I chuck kefir grains in whole organic un-homogenised milk now and then, that's about the best I can realistically do.

Generally I don't eat much dairy.

Josieposie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2011, 9:05 am

Moog wrote:
I'd love to try some, I don't think it's a done thing round here though.

It can be found. Next time you go past a farmers market ask at the cheese store if they sell it. More often than not they do :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:27 am

There's no real reason NOT to get unpasteurized milk. It should be fine in most cases. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that maybe because of the bacteria and other factors it won't last as long as pasteurized milk.

Another thought: Are we talking about whole milk or skimmed milk? Store-bought milk gives you the option at least of reduced fat. The higher fat content of raw, whole milk might also be a concern. You can't really find raw dairy where I live, so I'm just guessing. I'm curious about this also.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:18 am

tSunshineLove wrote:
It's something like $8 a half gallon here in California, but at least it's legal to buy in the stores, unlike the rest of the country, from what I hear.

I don't mind that raw milk isn't sold in stores in the rest of the country. The companies in California that produce raw milk for store shelves don't always do it very well, and, from what I understand, there aren't any real good regulations on the matter (I am aware of AB 1735, but I'd like to see regulations on the testing of milk from individual cows, as well as sanitation regulations). It's also my understanding that California regulations on raw milk are, in some cases, detrimental.

I think it would be nice if we had regulations along the lines that the French do.

Edit: I've been given to understand that whole milk tends to be healthier than reduced fat or skim milk. Fat =/= bad. In fact, we need fat to function.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:11 pm

OK, this is becoming a problem. I'm getting way too into researching raw milk safety and combining it with an obsession I used to have with the law.

I'm actually planning out a law that would regulate raw milk production in Nevada in a way that would not only ensure humane treatment of the cows (capping the production from a cow [which would ensure cattle breeding based on health, not milk production, the latter causing serious health detriments], grass feeding only, requirement of allowing calves to nurse from their mothers, etc), but also for safety (sanitation regulations, testing of the milk from individual cows, temperature, etc).