Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ster
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 1:58 pm

pedantic. pedantic. pedantic. pedantic.........can't seem to get that word out of my head. dr doing the eval for daughter said that she's quite pedantic. did you know that if you type that word into wikipedia, it will give you the definition & also a link to a page on aspergers? if you type in pedantic+disorder you get mostly aspergers replies, and one or two schizophrenia replies.
it's so hard to wait the 6 weeks for any official word about dx. daughter is frantic because she just learned that she'll be expected to write in cursive this year and do multiplication & division in math. just hope we can make it through the first month without the report..........

three2camp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2006, 8:12 am

Ster - do you have any time to start helping her with handwriting right now?

http://www.hwtears.com (Handwriting Without Tears) offers a cursive level and we tried the teacher's guide as well since it gives some excellent exercises to help kids with their posture. Another thing that's been mentioned on other boards - try a MagnaDoodle board. For some reason my son will use that instead of a wipe-off board, chalkboard, paper, etc.

For math, would she do anything on the computer? I have some links around here somewhere for some math games that may take some of the sting out learning it in the classroom. Also, my son didn't mind flash cards when he was learning his basic facts. We turned it into a challenge to see how many he could get right and we built slowly to where I would be flipping them and giving him only a second or two before flipping the next one up.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 5:33 am

thanks for the info about the handwriting site. have tried the flash cards,but no luck.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 10:58 am

Ah yes, the art of pedantry. I know it well. Hence my title... Image

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2006, 6:07 am

I too was a pedantic child...in fact i think i still am.

I think i was also the only child i ever met, who actually used the word Pedantic...its a good word!! !

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 6:54 am

Pedantic people piss me off.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 9:57 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Pedantic people piss me off.

Umm ... Uh ... yeah, me too.

I just wish I could figure out how to stop doing it to people I love. The rest of the world can continue to KMA. (and I don't mean anyone specifically. It's just a frustrating thing I do that I'm not even aware of until I notice I've caused pain.)

My wife, who knows more about me than ever, sometimes asks, "Why are you slamming me with loud, big word talk, right now?". Or if she's kind of tired she will disgustedly spit the phrase, "Big word" in my direction.