Are you a furry?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 21

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:23 pm

I liked anthropomorphic animal heroes like the Ninja Turtles, Street Sharks, and Extreme Dinosaurs when I was a kid, but that's the closest I get to being a furry. I appreciate animals in their wild (or "feral") form too much to want to anthropomorphize them.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 10:43 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
I liked anthropomorphic animal heroes like the Ninja Turtles, Street Sharks, and Extreme Dinosaurs when I was a kid, but that's the closest I get to being a furry. I appreciate animals in their wild (or "feral") form too much to want to anthropomorphize them.

The furry fandom isn't just total anthro. A lot of it is devoted feral animals too. I know that you're into dinosaurs(I'm friends with you on DA). Any book that features dinosaurs as the main characters is of interest to the scaly portion of the fandom. For instance Raptor Red(my best friend's favorite book). You my or may have not heard of. It is by paleontologist Robert T. Bakker. The main character is a female Utahraptor(Robert is the one who named the species, I believe) and the dialogue is quite sparse, but it's there. However, all of the animals are feral. By the virtue of making them sentient in a sense, Robert anthropomorphizes the animals in the book, but not by very much.

It is this part of the fandom in which I mostly dwell. I am a fan of this book and books like Watership Down, Dragon Outcast, The Plague Dogs, Pride of Baghdad, and Call of The Wild. Total anthropomorphization doesn't appeal to me very much. And also, I find the people in this particular section of the fandom to be more tolerable.

NadineWolfe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2011, 9:01 am

I've drawn pictures of anthropomorphic animals, enjoy writing stories featuring personified animals and even walked around the local shopping centre wearing cat ears and a tail but I wouldn't consider myself a furry. It's not because I fear being identified with the group, but I just think somebody who likes animals.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 5:57 pm

NadineWolfe wrote:
I've drawn pictures of anthropomorphic animals, enjoy writing stories featuring personified animals and even walked around the local shopping centre wearing cat ears and a tail but I wouldn't consider myself a furry. It's not because I fear being identified with the group, but I just think somebody who likes animals.

Best definition of the fandom that I know of. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryFandom

I'm too much of a chicken to dress up in a tail and/or animal ears. I think the costume(called a partial fursuit) is just stupid to begin with. Hell, I think all of general fursuiting is stupid and creepy. But that's my opinion.

The fact is, the fandom is just as varied as the Sci-Fi fandom, the anime fandom, and the fantasy fandom. Fans of Star Wars(I am really active in this fandom) and Star Trek don't always get along. Fans of DBZ and of Bleach don't always get along. The fandom isn't one concrete thing.

NadineWolfe

01 Jun 2011, 2:04 am

Just because I've done/do those things doesn't mean I have to identify as a Furry though.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:05 am

NadineWolfe wrote:
Just because I've done/do those things doesn't mean I have to identify as a Furry though.

Yes. The only reason why I call myself a furry(I'm still skittish about doing so and it tends to be an off and on thing) is because I can. You have control over your own social identity. I have some friends who have done the same thing. They aren't furries. Doing this is actually very common among otaku. And by common, I mean very, very common.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 5:19 am

I was a furry, however being asexual, I was kind of scared away from it due to the amount of pr0n in it, and the amount of creepers within it. However alot of furries I have met are ok people who aren't screwed up. However, since two of my brothers are SA users, they've managed to scare me out of the fandom. However it doesn't stop me thinking cartoon animals are funny and cool! :) I mean what is it with people labelling everything, can't you be an anthro fan without having anything to do with the fandom associated? NT logic is utter madness to me.

I mean, my profile picture is rainbow dash for gods sake xD =3

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:20 am

ScientistOfSound wrote:
I was a furry, however being asexual, I was kind of scared away from it due to the amount of pr0n in it, and the amount of creepers within it. However alot of furries I have met are ok people who aren't screwed up. However, since two of my brothers are SA users, they've managed to scare me out of the fandom. However it doesn't stop me thinking cartoon animals are funny and cool! :) I mean what is it with people labelling everything, can't you be an anthro fan without having anything to do with the fandom associated? NT logic is utter madness to me.

I mean, my profile picture is rainbow dash for gods sake xD =3

As a goon and an anon, it would kill my reputation if I just came out as one on Facebook, so I don't. I only say it on here and among people I trust enough who are nerdy enouh to even know what the subculture is. And even then, I have to explain in great length just what type I am and how I've periodically left the fandom because of how weird it can be.

And goons and anons are a bunch of hypocrites if they're bronies. MLP:FiM is a show about talking ponies and horses. LONG LIVE THE BRONY EMPIRE!! !! !