Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

phil_d1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

if we are all socially impaired - how come we are all on this forum?
discuss:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

PM me on this issue if you like

Last edited by phil_d1111 on 01 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twoface17
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

I rented Mozart and the Whale from Netflix which is about two Aspies that fall in love. Both of the characters showed realistic portrayals of different problems that Aspies face.

When I read the comments for the movie on Netflix, I was disgusted. There were comments that said that people with Asperger's can't fall in love, that they can't be socially aware of their disability, and that everyone with Asperger's acts the same way.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

If you saw me in real life, you would definitely be able to notice that I'm socially impaired. I know your confusion; I don't really understand it either. When I'm alone I find it hard to believe that I am socially impaired, but all you need to do is ask me "what's up?" as I'm walking by and it's obvious as no matter how hard I try I can never seem to find an answer to that question.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

I think people who don't live with AS or anyone who actually has it has a grasp of what goes on internally with us. I can give anyone the impression (very short term) that I am completely normal. But socially, I'm inept....this is not a new thing but a condition I've dealt with (badly I might add) since I was a little girl. It doesn't usually take too long before people start noticing I'm socially "off" the game. Do I know it? Yes, but I have no skills in which to fix it, & my instinct is just to jump into most situations with both feet & it gets me in deep doo doo all the time. I HATE it. I never realize I've done something offensive until it's too late, & someone is terribly offended by something I've said or done. So socially, it's a difficult game to play when you don't understand the rules (or even have a copy of them to reference).

As far as falling in love....that's also not true. My dad was married for 55 years to my mom. I don't know how they stood each other all that time, but they did. I'm 99.9% sure my dad has Aspergers. He has all the classic ear marks & characteristics. I have fallen in & out of love many times. Most were crushes & that I never did anything about (too shy to say anything). But I've also been married twice, so to say that people with AS NEVER fall in love, get married, or have a SO EVER is a load of crock.

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive